RC Planes

Soldato
I was gonna say I doubt it, but a quick google found this

Seems to be only US though

I found this video in Germany (I think) but they're using an actual runway for take off, so I wonder what the laws are

Surely 1:4 size rc planes need some kind of license as it's pushing the limits of what is a toy vs an actual machine which could potentially kill if handled incorrectly ?

Transmission breaker
Don
Large models are covered by the LMA in the UK.
They have to attend various parts of the build and check the systems used along with the construction methods.
This means you can be covered by BMFA or LMA insurances. I think also you need a BMFA advanced flying licence to let you fly models above a certain size.
When I was a kid, one of the chaps I learnt to fly with was a big LMA fanatic. These rules are likely over 20 years old and probably well out of date!
Also, I think size is based off total flying weight, not wingspan, so some big models can be flown on standard BMFA member insurance or none at all :D

Caporegime
I'm tempted to get either a ZOHD Nano Talon or ZOHD Dart
add FPV gear and a f4 flight controller for INAV
both are reasonably small and 30mins flight times even with stock electronics, probably FPV doable for around £200 in total since the actual Nano or Dart are so cheap.. decent transmitter would cost more than the actual fixed wing aircraft... probably around 100, but it's possible to use an android device as an FPV screen with OTG USB which is a really cheap option., so could use my 10inch tablet lol, or my phone as an FPV monitor.... :O

seen people add a bigger battery in the nano talon and get 1-2 hour flight times.

Seems a really cheap option to get into FPV without getting a bzzz bzzz bzz drone and sure a lot more fun.

Hubsan 301S is really tempting me too, comes with everything you need and seems you can get one for around £250-300
30mins+ flight time.
Return to home, launch mode, auto landing, loiter mode.
transmitter has an FPV screen built in, option of plugging in your own googles if you have some. (telemetry data only goes to the transmitters screen though)
seems uber noob friendly but not really ideal size for travelling when its 30 inches long, 40inch wing span

Associate
Good to see RC enthusiasts around here. I've been into drones since 2014. But about 18 months ago, I bought a Nano Skyhunter. For a good year, whenever I went out to fly it, I got the CoG wrong and kept crashing. Eventually (after I crashed and ripped the whole front off), I found my mistake and now I really enjoy it. It's a good plane for those of you who like to walk or cycle. It can be strapped onto your backpack. I also have a ZOHD Nano Talon. I was one of the first to buy it (pre-order number seven). But I have yet to actually use it after more then a year. I'm too tight with my money these days, haha! One plane I'm interested in (and have been for months) is the Durafly D.H. 100 Vampire Canadian Edition. But it's quite big at around 1100mm wide and around 900mm long. Not sure if I could put that on my back, haha! Anyone here got one?

vampireCanadianEdition5.jpg

Soldato
I've got an X-UAV Mini Talon in the box waiting to be built over the winter.

Also got a gilder and Flanker half finished. and an F14 90% ready... really need to sort the shed out for building room!

Associate
Afternoon all. I recently (last summer...) bought a small chuck-glider/RC unit to ease back into RC glider flying after 20years of non-flying.
I haven't put it together yet and will need to get my head around the digital controls/menu systems etc.

The kit I bought was the "Alula Trek" (looks like a predatory bird/quite beautiful for a ARTF foam kit :) ): https://dream-flight.com/products/alula-trek

And FrSky TARANIS X9D Plus 2.4GHz Transmitter etc

Cute company video...

Someone soaring off beach/dunes:

Nice to see fellow RC flyers here :)

Soldato
Hi Slap.
I've seen the Weasel-Trek fly down here in South Wales and pretty sure I've seen the Alula fly too. Lovely little chuck in the car type gliders to carry around with you!
If you're needing any help with the setup just post up and I'll have a look if I can.
I have an SAS Wildthing, a SAS Terminator and another rc glider that I forget it's name myself. Plus 2 electric powered birds.

Associate
Hi Slap.
I've seen the Weasel-Trek fly down here in South Wales and pretty sure I've seen the Alula fly too. Lovely little chuck in the car type gliders to carry around with you!
If you're needing any help with the setup just post up and I'll have a look if I can.
I have an SAS Wildthing, a SAS Terminator and another rc glider that I forget it's name myself. Plus 2 electric powered birds.

Hi rhysduck. South Wales must be a beautiful place to soar! I did a kayak course in Plas Y Brenin about 20 years ago and it was a stunning place. Looks like you are well into your RC flying with all those kits. Good stuff.
Thank you for the offer of help, much appreciated. I will most probably need it with programming the flaperons (It's a rudder/aileron only control surfaces). I don't think I will be finishing any time soon as I have just built new PC and installed a bunch of flight sims...So much to re-learn again...All good though :)

Happy flying!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've finally bought a transmitter with a view to learn flying RC planes on a sim (Eachine TX16s)!

Since I last spent hours pondering the RC subject and never committing the CAA rules have come in force and I'm not sure what that really implies. Have we still got any plane fliers on the forum?

A <250g plane is gonna be a bit naff, I fancy a decent sized first trainer when I decide to buy/build (Carbon Cub, Arrow Bigfoot, FT scratch built maybe). I live rurally and despite appearances I'm quite safety concious, so plenty of places to fly away from people and there's two almost local clubs with fields I know of, but I guess I'm legally required to test & register myself & label models if I fly >250g? Is that all I need to do? Are there any implications to that?

Would love to do some foam scratch builds and if I really get sucked in some 3D printed models of my own design (I can 3D model, but never printed etc).

Soldato
Legally, you need to be both registered as an operator with the CAA (£9), and pass some king of competence test. That can be by getting a flyer-ID from the CAA (free), or if you're a BMFA member, passing their RCC test. There are probably similar ones for members of other organisations.
The tests are really just there to make sure you know the law on RC flight. They will tell you when you get a wrong answer, and what the right answer is and why, and you can retake immediately.

Once you've done that, you can go fly legally, so long as you adhere to the distances and altitudes set out in the rules you just took a test on. It should be fairly easy to find somewhere suitable if you're in a rural area.

Associate
As above, best advice is to contact your local clubs and arrange to pop along to their flying sites, the advice and help that you receive will save you £££. You will not have to join the club at first, some clubs will even have a trainer aircraft already set up for you to gain some experience.
Do not go it alone, the % of people who do this and wreck their model is high.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Nice one, thanks guys. Much appreciated

Sending a message to my most local club now, requires a drive out but they have a field their own trainers and taster sessions. There's a slope soaring club local too, but not sure if that's my bag (yet).

Soldato
Nice one, thanks guys. Much appreciated

Sending a message to my most local club now, requires a drive out but they have a field their own trainers and taster sessions. There's a slope soaring club local too, but not sure if that's my bag (yet).

Slope soaring is great fun, I was amazed first time I tried it.
It’s a great hobby, I’m a member of Ashton model club, but I’ve not had much time to enjoy it recently due to covid lockdowns, work, other hobbies.

Back
Top Bottom