Ready Player One (2018)

Soldato
Having read the book I have to think the worst job in the world must be being a rights lawyer for this movie,

All those things, games, music, movies, everyone will want a slice, i would imagine they will make changes where they cant get rights.

Wargames rights holders want 5% of the gross to be included in the film, lets swap it for another film.

Soldato
Thinking about it over lunch I cant see them doing the wargames thing.
I think the whole first gate thing will be different old video games and re-enacting movies wouldn't make good screen sceptical and if the trailer shows anything its sceptical

Soldato
I hope there is a better trailer to come. As someone who knows nothing about this, that trailer didn't grab me at all.

Looked a load of messy nonsense.

If you are not aware of the book (I'm not) it just looked rubbish and gave me no idea what it's about.

Soldato
Having read the book I have to think the worst job in the world must be being a rights lawyer for this movie,

All those things, games, music, movies, everyone will want a slice, i would imagine they will make changes where they cant get rights.

Wargames rights holders want 5% of the gross to be included in the film, lets swap it for another film.

studio will love this to bits, perfect excuse to fiddle the books and claim no profit cos of all the rights they had to pay for.

Soldato

If you are not aware of the book (I'm not) it just looked rubbish and gave me no idea what it's about.

My missus said the same thing and i completely agree with you. Its now on her to read list.
They'll cover it in the first 5 mins and viewers will forget if they haven't read the book.

Soldato

Yup, looks like Michael bay-esque visual SFX masturbation all over the screen.

It's only having SS attached that has made me pay attention.

Soldato

Indeed. The only thing I got from that is some guy puts on a headset and goes into a virtual world, then stuff happens.

I and others moan that trailers give away too much these days, but that trailer didn't even sell the premise of the film, let alone give too much away. :p

Caporegime
To be honest it didn't do much for me either, but people complain trailers give too much away or complain they tell you nothing

Very difficult to get the balance right.

I've not read the book so am not too invested in the movie at this stage, but any Spielberg movie has got to be worthy of consideration. Not that they are all good of course, but certainly more hits than misses.

Associate
I love the book and am looking forward to this. Agree with everyone else regarding the trailer though, I'd be struggling to get any idea of what the film is about just from the trailer. Guessing they may release a few more as time passes - we're still some way off from release.

Soldato
It was a teaser...

Fair enough, but at least label it as a teaser, not a trailer. At least those who know nothing about it, know there is more to come.

As someone who knows bugger all about it, that could have been it. They've got to sell the film to those who may not know or see any other following trailers. If I was one of those people, based purely on that trailer, I'd have no interest to go see the film.

The art of making a good trailer has long gone it seems, for the most part anyway. Now it's a case of a giving almost nothing away to begin with, following trailers then giving away more and more detail about the film, to the point where the viewer needn't bother going to watch it.

Associate
Looks good.
The chase scene threw me as I can't see where that would fit in VR but as Cline was involved then I'm okay with it.
Wonder which parts they will cut?

That race thing seems to be part of a montage to illustrate the sixers out numbering others?

Not a huge fan of them injecting random IP, hopefully they don't just skip one of the best moments in the story like they did with the martian!

Associate
Fair enough, but at least label it as a teaser, not a trailer. At least those who know nothing about it, know there is more to come.

As someone who knows bugger all about it, that could have been it. They've got to sell the film to those who may not know or see any other following trailers. If I was one of those people, based purely on that trailer, I'd have no interest to go see the film.

The art of making a good trailer has long gone it seems, for the most part anyway. Now it's a case of a giving almost nothing away to begin with, following trailers then giving away more and more detail about the film, to the point where the viewer needn't bother going to watch it.

Pretty sure this was a comic con trailer so it probably assumes you know the book?

Back
Top Bottom