• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Man of Honour
Is not like Metro or Control didn't implement RT correctly or good enough (although in some places is darker than it should, but then maybe a proper HDR is required anyway?), it couldn't do much due to the limitation of the hardware. For instance, in Control, I can only do 720p upscaled to 1080p to keep 60fps constant on a 2080 and is still quite nosy in darker areas, plus uses a lot of "cheats" - trying to stream in stuff too aggressively which also gets noticed at times + the washout out look of non-native image.

Maybe just for reflections is not going to kill the performance as much, but if they fake those good enough through traditional means, the difference will be low enough for many to not care if you balance it with the performance cost - and, of course, hardware cost. If you look at the Blacksmith demo, The Heretic demo, Book Of The Dead, even The Infiltrator (or Crysis 3), as a whole, they all look better than Control (for me at least), I'd even say that The Blacksmith, 4 years old demo, looks more next gen than anything is out on the market or will be launched soon. And no RT. :)

There are a lot of games that still don't look as good as 10+ year old 3D Marks scenes - it is far far harder to do a proper game looking good than a tech demo with constraints to prevent people seeing where it breaks down. Look at Subnautica for instance which uses the same Unity engine as some of those demos.

Soldato
Cyberpunk seems to be the pinnacle of these though. Honestly people I know basically talk about it at length daily. I know dozens who have pre-ordered it already and won't listen to a single possibly bad word about it.

You have to see the discussion of that game in this very forum. Many went very tribal as if killed their family.

Soldato
Cyberpunk seems to be the pinnacle of these though. Honestly people I know basically talk about it at length daily. I know dozens who have pre-ordered it already and won't listen to a single possibly bad word about it.

Pre-order isn't exactly cheaper than release usually so not sure why anyone would want to pre order a game that could potentially be disappointing.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

The W3 has a lot to answer for. Took me a while to get into it but that was an epic game.

If Cyberpunk comes close in a modern setting then they may be right.

But I haven’t pre-ordered it either. :D

EDIT: Back OT, I’ve recently been playing around with settings for Exodus and have now given up on DLSS for it. I now use QHD instead of 4K, extreme textures and everything else enabled and maxed out instead, plus the sharpening filter in GFE and overall it’s much better. Slightly less sharp not being native res but the texture detail is significantly higher and so is the FPS, even with RTX on Ultra.

Tried it native 4K without RTX which runs fine, but the game is definitely better with max RTX enabled. It turns out that for me compromising on resolution rather than RTX works best.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What people have to understand but always seem to miss is "one man's trash is another man's gold". I don't like marmite but appreciate that others do, I have seen many films that have been slated and very much enjoyed them. Nothing worse to me when someone doesn't like something, it becomes the worst thing ever and anyone who likes it is a newbz!

Soldato
There are a lot of games that still don't look as good as 10+ year old 3D Marks scenes - it is far far harder to do a proper game looking good than a tech demo with constraints to prevent people seeing where it breaks down. Look at Subnautica for instance which uses the same Unity engine as some of those demos.

Main reason would be low end hardware they target: original PS4/xbox and PC parts.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Already got one :D
Does it have an Nvidia logo on it and is it sign by Jensen? :p

What people have to understand but always seem to miss is "one man's trash is another man's gold". I don't like marmite but appreciate that others do, I have seen many films that have been slated and very much enjoyed them. Nothing worse to me when someone doesn't like something, it becomes the worst thing ever and anyone who likes it is a newbz!
Well said Gregster. Both sides need to understand this ;)

Back
Top Bottom