Rebel Moon | Netflix

Soldato
Doesn't say much about his directing skills that he couldn't produce a decent PG13 version.

Depends on what the scenes were that got cut, if they had nudity/profanity or violence they may have been to much for a PG13, we already know the snyder cut with be R rated. The editor was Dody Dorn who did the snyder cut of justice league and the abyss/terminator 2.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends on what the scenes were that got cut, if they had nudity/profanity or violence they may have been to much for a PG13, we already know the snyder cut with be R rated.

Not really. He knew the PG13 version was the planned first release. If he didn't make the movie so it would work in that form then it is because he was either too incompetent or too egotistical to do so.

Whatever it was, it's a direct reflection of his skills.

Soldato
Not really. He knew the PG13 version was the planned first release. If he didn't make the movie so it would work in that form then it is because he was either too incompetent or too egotistical to do so.

Whatever it was, it's a direct reflection of his skills.

Did you watch Justice League?

The original version was meh, his directors cut was great. The studio asks for a specific version, for cinema release, this usually has strict age related requirements and a set duration usually 90-120 minutes at most. What we got with the Snyder cut was a 4+ hour story that in my opinion was a significant improvement on the theatrical release.

Caporegime

I haven't seen the Snyder Cut, only the original - for which "meh" seems generous.

With Justice League, Snyder left due to the death of his daughter and Whedon took over to complete it, apparently with extensive reshoots. With Rebel Moon, Snyder was in charge for both versions throughout. If he gated key elements in the R version then the resultant faults of the original release are on him. It's not the same situation.

• Wow
Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I haven't seen the Snyder Cut, only the original - for which "meh" seems generous.

With Justice League, Snyder left due to the death of his daughter and Whedon took over to complete it, apparently with extensive reshoots.

I would strongly recommend watching JL Snyder cut (at least once) if you havent already, its 10x better than the mess Whedon made. It is a tad excessive but i enjoyed it and probably one of the best Synder DC Universe movies.

Whedon's bastardise version was a perfect example of what DC execs meddling can do. They didnt want Syndervise drab, serious tones, they now wanted happy funny and light hearted MCU-esk so that what Whedon came up with. it didnt nearly do it justice :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Will certainly watch this, while the 1st was no masterpiece it was a watchable film which was better than the latest Star Wars offerings (not huge praise though tbh) and if you take it as a sci-fi action film it's not as bad as people are making out, it seems that some people like to jump on the negative band wagon to make themselves some sort of film buff \ mega-critic, if you don't like it don't watch it, not rocket science is it?

Permabanned

The original version was meh, his directors cut was great. The studio asks for a specific version, for cinema release, this usually has strict age related requirements and a set duration usually 90-120 minutes at most. What we got with the Snyder cut was a 4+ hour story that in my opinion was a significant improvement on the theatrical release.
The extended runtime truly allowed for a more immersive and satisfying experience. Snyder's vision definitely delivered

Soldato

With Justice League, Snyder left due to the death of his daughter and Whedon took over to complete it, apparently with extensive reshoots. With Rebel Moon, Snyder was in charge for both versions throughout. If he gated key elements in the R version then the resultant faults of the original release are on him. It's not the same situation.

I wouldn't say it was his fault at all, and almost entirely on the studio. I mean his daughter died, and rather than wait the studio wanted it released and bought in Whedon, who basically came in and tried to retcon his own vision and story rather than just finish off the story that Snyder had already penned.

I have every faith that the Snyder cut of Rebel Moon will actually be good, it will almost certainly be epic and long, that's just his style. Much like Watchmen which I also loved.

Caporegime
I wouldn't say it was his fault at all, and almost entirely on the studio. I mean his daughter died, and rather than wait the studio wanted it released and bought in Whedon, who basically came in and tried to retcon his own vision and story rather than just finish off the story that Snyder had already penned.

When I said "If he gated key elements in the R version then the resultant faults of the original release are on him", I was talking about Rebel Moon; obviously the situation with Justice League when his daughter died is different. With Rebel Moon if the PG13 version isn't good then that is 100% Snyder's fault.

I have every faith that the Snyder cut of Rebel Moon will actually be good, it will almost certainly be epic and long, that's just his style. Much like Watchmen which I also loved.

I don't. But I do love Watchman and 300; it just seems to me that Snyder's been coasting on the quality of those movies ever since. We'll see, I guess.

Soldato
With Rebel Moon if the PG13 version isn't good then that is 100% Snyder's fault.

Unless its more "studio interference" where the studio tell Snyder "you need to chop out lots to reduce the runtime" after shooting finishes which forces Snyder to effectively butcher his film in order to match studio time/rating requirements made during the editing phase, which is the worst time to do that.

I'm obviously a Snyder fan so I'm definitely more willing to believe something like that (after repeatedly happening previously) than him losing the ability to direct a decent film.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For some reason I click play on netflix and it only plays like a 1 minute reel of some action scene and that's it, even though the pre-play description states over 2 hours runtime.... So now I am qcquiring it another way. Sod them if they can't get their platform to work.

Back
Top Bottom