Rechargable Lights

Soldato
Same, the chinese kree 2000 lumen I had wasn't as bright as a 400 lumen cateye. It was only marginally better than the 100 lumen cateye - it flooded an area rather than focusing at any real distance (which is kinda important!).

One of the reasons I like Cateye lights is they conform to German law for safe road use. So if any UK/European law is brought in, it'd very unlikely be different to German current laws.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure that is true Roady. The Cateye models sold in Germany have a difference lens. A standard Volt 400 as bought in the UK for example wouldn't be legal over there.

TBH I looked into it and anything that met approval of ze Germans didn't give me a spread of light that I would be happy with down a country lane in the pitch black.

Soldato
I don't tend to worry about it too much. My Solarstorm is angled down and left slightly (the latter simply due to the shape of my bars) but when I'm putting it away at night I notice that it is a bit of a bobby dazzler looking at it head on. Thing is it pails into insignificance as soon as you compare it to a Bi-Xenon 4x4 with self dipping (eventually, after I've blinded you for 5 seconds) headlights.

Man of Honour
The figures are bull but the power they kick out for the price is very impressive.

I can't disagree with that.
I bought a Chinese 5000 Lumen that goes on my head and is very useful for when I'm repairing my cycles/cars and it only cost £12. Also use if for soldering on the lowest setting. I don't think it would last too long fitted to my cycles though.

Man of Honour
I've just spent over £50 at Aldi.
I've bought a Winter Cycling Jacket, Merino base layer, Merino socks and a neck warmer so hopefully I'll be better protected than the last 4 winters of commuting.
Those lights looked bloody awful.

Soldato
I bought the cheap cycling jacket, the £17 one, the cycling socks, the leg warmers and a cheap base layer top as a back up to my posher one.

I'm not expecting all that much from the jacket at £17 although it could be better than the price suggests I suppose.

I just need some winter gloves now as my MTB ones aren't thermal.

Soldato
Chuffed to get the last Merino sports mid layer in the second Aldi I rode to yesterday, nice bit of kit.

Just what I needed with winter coming.

Wish I'd picked up some Merino kit but with the other stuff I already had in the basket I'd have had to budget for a divorce as well :o

Soldato
I need a light for mountain biking in the pitch black welsh hills :p

I've got a set of these already which I'll keep to use the front as a flasher on road and a bit of extra light off road. But I need something bright enough to be able to see properly on double tracks etc..

I'd like to spend no more than £50 ideally but depends if I can get what I need for that money. I'm gonna be after a new bike next season so need a few ££ for that!

Man of Honour
I need a light for mountain biking in the pitch black welsh hills :p

I've got a set of these already which I'll keep to use the front as a flasher on road and a bit of extra light off road. But I need something bright enough to be able to see properly on double tracks etc..

I'd like to spend no more than £50 ideally but depends if I can get what I need for that money. I'm gonna be after a new bike next season so need a few ££ for that!

The two posts above yours is what you need but if you have more money go for the 800 which will be a lot brighter.

Back
Top Bottom