Rechargable Lights

Soldato
Well I ordered it from from CRC yesterday just before 12 and opted for the 1-2 day delivery. I was thinking that it was Wednesday so I thought yep, Thurs, Fri... I'll have it for the weekend.

Then afterwards I realised that it was in fact Thursday yesterday and so resigned myself to having to wait until Monday to collect it from work. But nope, it has just arrived.

In the past when I have ordered from CRC the delivery hasn't always the fastest. I'm impressed this time.

I'll have chance to have a play this weekend.

Last edited:
Soldato
So far I've used it as a torch when going up the greenhouse! Very bright.

I went for a cycle today whilst it was still light so didn't get chance to use it properly. But with the light quickly disappearing now, it wont be long before it will get a proper run out.

Soldato
I got out tonight with my new light for about 35 mins. Pretty impressive. I was able to go at normal speed, didn't need to slow down from lack of light. I didn't go down any fast descents, I'm not sure the light would quite be sufficient to go at full pelt.

But on the whole, pretty good!

Man of Honour
I got out tonight with my new light for about 35 mins. Pretty impressive. I was able to go at normal speed, didn't need to slow down from lack of light. I didn't go down any fast descents, I'm not sure the light would quite be sufficient to go at full pelt.

But on the whole, pretty good!

What do you call normal speed and full pelt?
I would imagine if you're doing 30mph+ you would need something much stronger than 800 lumens down a dark road.

Soldato
Hummm, just read my comment and it isn't what I was trying to say! haha.

What I was trying to say was that I'm not sure that the light would quite be sufficient to go down fast descents, but completely adequate for everything else!

Soldato
I use the cateye 800 front and their rechargable rear. Been perfect so far.

Exactly the same for me except the rear is on batteries.

I think I paid £85 at the time for the cateye 800 which did make me question my sanity but it's been great - lasts well on long rides, completely waterproof, tough.

Soldato
I've had countless lights, believe me, it's a really good thing and you do have the ability to face them down if you so wish or take it down to a much lower brightness.
I'll never go back to weak lights.

I dont think its a case of if you so wish, more like yiu definately should point them down!

Bright lights like that are so you can see the road surface on unlit streets, not dazzle oncoming drivers. I hate it when I see other cyclists with their bright light just pointing straight ahead.

Soldato
I got a front and rear Nebula-esque to give my sister as an early Xmas pressie, plus the Comet-esque dual front/rear pack for myself (as a redundancy set for my McCoy Nebula rear and Magichshine MJ900 front).

Good to read the above regarding mounts, yet to open the stuff I bought, the saddle rail McCoy mount is nice.:)

Also got quite a few merino bits and some gloves, the jackets looked nice but they all had tiny zipped pockets, I need a decent sized pocket like on my aged Endura Convert to house my tablet for Strava purposes.;)

Soldato
I got some 5000 lumen cree rechargeable light from eBay 2 years ago,superb front light and still going strong,can be swapped over to my other bike in seconds,can get a weeks use from the battery pack with a 40 min use each day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstor...514841?hash=item236cb2d5d9:g:uQkAAOSwc1FXbdkk

Been reading about these and seem to get rave reviews.

I also see they do an X3, do you think it will be worth it over the X2? Be looking at night time trials.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Fenix BC21R or BC30R

I got some 5000 lumen cree rechargeable light from eBay 2 years ago,superb front light and still going strong,can be swapped over to my other bike in seconds,can get a weeks use from the battery pack with a 40 min use each day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstor...514841?hash=item236cb2d5d9:g:uQkAAOSwc1FXbdkk

The max lumen output of a U2 led is 1000lumens, so that headlight is probably nearer 1600lumens. It'll have **** regulation and thermal pathways, so it'll be 1600lumens only for the first 30 seconds. After 2 mins it'll be down to about 1000lumens - which is why it lasts you a weeks commuting as it won't be pulling many amps from the battery pack (which I bet doesn't even have any balancing circuitry) - 2amps seems the normal for these lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I tell you what chaps,those "Specialized Stix Sport Combo" are fantastic..so bright.
Maybe for cycle paths at <15mph on a clear night. Useless for normal speed/morning/twilight/bad weather.
Yeah don't point it in your face and turn it on to the brightest setting, unless you want to have a ghosty rectangle in your eyes for the next 30 mins.
Been there & got the tshirt lol
Picked up one of the Nebula-style rear lights from Aldi. It looks exactly the same as my Nebula even down to the mounts.

OGv33N8.jpg
Interested how you find it mate.

Personally I've been through the cheap lights, Aldi lights and chinese kree/torch route before and prefer quality over cheapness these days. My chosen brands and recommendations are Exposure, Cateye & Lezyne.

Fronts:
Cateye Volt800; current for main beam/open road. Find 800 lumen overdrive enough for 20+mph speeds in most weather conditions. Would be better with 1000+ lumen but only because I suffer from some short sightedness. Cost:Value was important for me as I couldn't justify £150+. Battery life isn't amazing but can do 8+ hours not on overdrive. Waterproof & rugged, into its 2nd season. Warranty replacement for a Volt 400 that I exchanged, but also hadn't found bright enough.
Cateye Rapid X; winter commuting 'be seen' light. 15+ hour burntime on regular flash. 2+ weeks of commuting on 1 charge, waterproof & robust. Mine is into it's 3rd season. Fits on my headtube too (so very visible regardless of bars/arms/direction)!
Exposure Sirius Mk5; the other halfs primary, more than bright enough for any weathers inner city commuting (500 lumen) with usual exceptional Exposure build quality, battery life and mounting. Only a few months old but expect good things of it (bought in a bundle with a TraceR).
Cateye Volt 100; my old front, now used as a flasher for the other half. Low lumen but 15+ hours burntime on flash makes it a great 'be seen' light. Probably nearly 5 years old and still going strong. Waterproof and has had a hard life, I recall having to scratch ice off the lens a couple of times.
Leyzne macro duo; helmet light I use in the real winter and darkness. I find a helmet light brilliant for commuting and riding in heavy traffic areas making me very visible. Battery life isn't great but predominantly on flash I get over a weeks commuting out of it (8 hours). Good quality, waterproof and has survived 2 crashes. Around 3 years old now but not used it as much as the others, only really for midwinter commuting.

Rears:
Exposure TraceR; probably my most favourite light I've ever owned. Incredible quality, brightness, features and battery life make this well worth the investment. I run mine any weathers and any time of the year when some additional visibility is required. Bright enough for daytime use and regularly used for such. 2+ weeks of burntime and waterproof. Bought a second one (for the other half).
Cateye Mini RC; my previous go-to commuting light. Cheap & cheerful with 20+ hours of flash burntime. Mine has spent 2 years attached to a saddlebag and taken quite a pounding, I ran it for a year or 2 before that attached to seatpost. Charges fast, nice and light and would half consider mounting it to a helmet.
Moon Nebula; such a bright and eye catching light. Bought this on such a deal that it (needlessly) replaced the Mini RC. Have only run it a few times but will be running it more and more as a solid rear with my TraceR on pulse this winter. So far 'untested' quality and waterproofing.

Man of Honour
Personally I've been through the cheap lights, Aldi lights and chinese kree/torch route before and prefer quality over cheapness these days. My chosen brands and recommendations are Exposure, Cateye & Lezyne.

I said similar above, pay peanuts and you get monkeys.
I will never buy cheap again.

My choice of rear light is a Topeak Redlight Mega and front light is now the Blackburn Central 700 which replaced my Smart 700 that I've misplaced.
I've used the Blackburn less than 30 minutes ago and even on 300 Lumens it was really bright with a neighbour shouting "What the bloody hell have you got on your handlebars?"

Back
Top Bottom