Rechargable Lights

Soldato
I'm struggling to find a suitable front light. I have a set of cateye fron and rear lights, but I am after a main front light to point down so I can the road surface for potholes, drain covers etc.

Would like one that is USB rechargable and 300 lumens and with stand the rain. Budget is £30.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

This one is appealing but has bad reviews on its longevity and the usb cover falling off.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-drive-400xl-front-light-y9/

I bought another from Amazon which burnt out when charging, waiting to be rteurned!

Soldato
Soldato
I bought some of these last week: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FVUTQNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not USB rechargable but they have a battery pack and a mains charger. So bright. Actually bought them from this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GZWIL34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 via the promotion, so I have the 5000 and 6600 lumen ones. (The plan was one for the bike and one for the helmet - not tried it on my helmet yet).

Second link is what I have. Can't fault it TBH. Unlit country roads ridden in the pitch black as quick as my pathetic legs will take me and I still don't need to crank it up to high. Over 2 years old and still on the original battery pack too but if you want a second and aren't in a rush for it you can get them from places like DX for about £7.

Soldato
Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated.

I saw that Amazon one, it does look like a very good spec, but the charging system is slightly impractical for me. I really like the look of the Blackburn 300, seems to fit the bill so I will order that.

Soldato
So the Blackburn arrived a few days ago, decent light, I think I should have gone for more lumens as 300 isn't that bright but good enough for the city. Only gripe with it is the mount is rubbish and it just slides down on bumpy surfaces/roads. Will need to velcro it to stop it moving.

Annoyingly the Cateye Volt 300 has come on sale on CRC for £25, would have snapped that up, can't beat Japanese design and quality, the mount on those is superb and quick release would have been nice for when recharging.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cateye-volt-300-usb-headlight/rp-prod153265

Soldato
Man of Honour
So the Blackburn arrived a few days ago, decent light, I think I should have gone for more lumens as 300 isn't that bright but good enough for the city. Only gripe with it is the mount is rubbish and it just slides down on bumpy surfaces/roads. Will need to velcro it to stop it moving.

Funnily enough I've only had mine on 300 but I did try 700 on one small path this evening and then went back to 300.
I also do a lot bumping over kerbs and on rough surface and my mount (strap) hasn't shifted 1mm.

Soldato
Funnily enough I've only had mine on 300 but I did try 700 on one small path this evening and then went back to 300.
I also do a lot bumping over kerbs and on rough surface and my mount (strap) hasn't shifted 1mm.

Here is the film I took tonight going from 300 to 700 - http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk/pics3/300to700.mp4

The 700 looks a lot better in my opinion, you don't have to focus too much as everything is more visible.

With the strap mount, I put it up one notch today which was better didn't fall all the way down like yesterday, but it is a bit stretched on that notch and looks stressed, so I am going to use a bit of velcro underneath to give it a bit of grip. Maybe the finish on my handlebars gives the rubber surface less grip.

Man of Honour
With the strap mount, I put it up one notch today which was better didn't fall all the way down like yesterday, but it is a bit stretched on that notch and looks stressed, so I am going to use a bit of velcro underneath to give it a bit of grip. Maybe the finish on my handlebars gives the rubber surface less grip.

I understand what you're getting at now :)

Soldato
As above when I went out with the blackburn 700 on my bars I found that 1 of the notches was slightly too loose but the next one up just wouldn't reach without looking like the strap would be far too stretched. As a result on the bumpy bits it ended up tilting down at the floor. On the helmet its fine though.

Man of Honour
As above when I went out with the blackburn 700 on my bars I found that 1 of the notches was slightly too loose but the next one up just wouldn't reach without looking like the strap would be far too stretched. As a result on the bumpy bits it ended up tilting down at the floor. On the helmet its fine though.

It fits my hybrid perfectly without being stretched but we'll see when I swop over to my MTB soon. Thanks to the above for the velcro tip just in case.

Incidentally I've just converted one of my old front light holders to hold my new Drift Stealth action cam.

Associate
Bontrager Flare R Light. £40-50

Daytime use too.

Best red light I have ever used.

bontrager-flare-rt-tail-light-p12700-38733_image_zpszs8vujdx.jpg

Associate
Soldato
What kind of batteries would you guys recommend to use on bike lights for lights that are not rechargeable? I have a Cateye for the rear lights which uses AAA batteries, pondering whether to get a big box of Philips PowerLife or to get rechargeable batteries that I can use in it, but unsure how long those would last for.

Man of Honour
What kind of batteries would you guys recommend to use on bike lights for lights that are not rechargeable? I have a Cateye for the rear lights which uses AAA batteries, pondering whether to get a big box of Philips PowerLife or to get rechargeable batteries that I can use in it, but unsure how long those would last for.

I got a big box from Maplin and just two batteries will last me through the dark nights (20 minute commute).

Back
Top Bottom