Recommend Cooler for 5800X3D

Associate
I am looking for an Air Cooler for the 5800X3D I bought in the OC Sale a few weeks ago. Currently have a Ryzen 5 2600 with the stock cooler which is not good enough for the 5800X3D. There obviously will be no overclocking. Doesnt matter what it looks like as it will be in a closed, metal sided case. Cheap but good is what I am looking for. This is to go on a MSI B450-A PRO if that makes any difference.

Associate
OP
Depends on what figure you define as cheap.

I'd be going for a Thermalright Pearless Assassin for £45 or did you have a lower budget in mind?
Thanks, I have no budget as such, just want value for money and something that will work. This is for a Christmas present for my son and the less I spend on the cooler the more I can spend on other gifts.

Man of Honour
The case is a BitFenix Neos no window. I think it is 160mm but might be 158mm maximum
Ok shame the broken 3 is on offer and its s beast of a cooler for £33 but it's 165mm tall.

Just checked case spec and its CPU cooler heatsinks up to160mm in height (155mm for windowed version)

Have you thought about getting a more fancy case e.g rgb if he likes that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok shame the broken 3 is on offer and its s beast of a cooler for £33 but it's 165mm tall.

Just checked case spec and its
160mm in height (155mm for windowed version)

Have you thought about getting a more fancy case e.g rgb if he likes that sort of stuff.
Thanks but he is not too bothered about looks of the Case or RGB.

Soldato
Be good to share your experiences with the cooler on the 5800X3D.

I have a 5800X3D myself and its definitely a toasty CPU on stock voltages. I have a Brocken 2 with dual 140mm fans that tames it at around 83c when running Cinebench.

Run an extreme test like Prime small FFT torture test and it hits 90c within seconds and thermal throttles!:eek:

Associate
OP
Be good to share your experiences with the cooler on the 5800X3D.

I have a 5800X3D myself and its definitely a toasty CPU on stock voltages. I have a Brocken 2 with dual 140mm fans that tames it at around 83c when running Cinebench.

Run an extreme test like Prime small FFT torture test and it hits 90c within seconds and thermal throttles!:eek:
I will try to remember as it will be more than a month before it gets installed. Send me a riminder if I dont post after Christmas.

Soldato
You need to get a cooler that is optimised for the 5xxx series CPU's. Not all coolers are. The contact plate is offset slightly to improve the cooling on these as the hottest point is slightly offset to one side.
So which ever one you choose check this out first as it can knock 8-10c off the temps.

Ah just seen what you bought, dont think that was a good choice.

Just to give you an idea and I know you wanted air not AIO but I didnt realise this till I saw this in my instructions.

QU5qqEv.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You need to get a cooler that is optimised for the 5xxx series CPU's. Not all coolers are. The contact plate is offset slightly to improve the cooling on these as the hottest point is slightly offset to one side.
So which ever one you choose check this out first as it can knock 8-10c off the temps.

Ah just seen what you bought, dont think that was a good choice.

Just to give you an idea and I know you wanted air not AIO but I didnt realise this till I saw this in my instructions.

QU5qqEv.png
Yea, I dont think that matters at all. It just seems stupid to worry about 2 degrees when all I need is it to keep the CPU cool enough which it will without an offset mount.

Soldato
Yea, I dont think that matters at all. It just seems stupid to worry about 2 degrees when all I need is it to keep the CPU cool enough which it will without an offset mount.

Dont be so complacent these run HOT. ;) If you notice I have one, do any of the above who recommended the cooler ? :) The forum member who has one above recommended a different cooler to his ? :) Also make sure you look into PBO 2 as well.

https://github.com/PrimeO7/How-to-u...X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner/blob/main/README.md

Also have a read at the last few pages on here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...processor-retail-go-go-go-xd.18951023/page-66 maybe for a 2nd opinion ? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not complacent, just practical, I am not going to spend hundreds of pounds on a specific AiO cooler to gain 2 degrees.

I didnt say spend hundreds of pounds. Just that you look into an Air cooler that has better cooling for a 5800x3d.
This is the one I bought for my son's AMD 5600 - Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black Air Tower CPU Cooler £29.99 it cost.
The AIO in my sig cost £90.

Anyway you know best. However you did ask.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didnt say spend hundreds of pounds. Just that you look into an Air cooler that has better cooling for a 5800x3d.
This is the one I bought for my son's AMD 5600 - Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black Air Tower CPU Cooler £29.99 it cost.
The AIO in my sig cost £90.

Anyway you know best. However you did ask.
If you can suggest an air cooler for less than £43 that has better cooling then I am all ears but I looked up reviews and the Thermalright essentially beats or matches virtually every other Air cooler including some over £100 except in the most extreme cases and even then does fine particularly if you dont mind a bit more noise so I think it is fine but I guess time will tell. At the end of the day it will be used for Gaming so will never be using all cores at full load so anything more expensive would definitely be overkill.

Associate
I'm using a thermalright truespirit 140 on mine and with the 25mv undervolt it sits at 72°C on a cinebenchR23 run with all cores pegged at 4.45ghz (as fast as it's ever gone).
My machine is wall mounted though without a case so it's free to take as much ambient air as it wants.
Whilst gaming it sits at mid 50s, idling is about 4-5 above ambient, typically about 33.

Associate
I bought an AK620. Noctua a bit too much. Assassin would've been the next choice. It's incredibly annoying though as it hums when it revs up every 10 or so seconds. Tried flattening the fan curve in bios but still revs up every time I do the most basic of tasks.

Back
Top Bottom