• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

recommend me an AMD GPU thats more efficient ?

Soldato
It could be, is that 50C idle?

That's pretty damn high tbh, my card (exact same as yours) is currently idle at 23c.

Try playing with fan profiles for the card as mentioned.

You could try taking the side off your case, maybe point a house fan at it if you've one sat around, just to see if it makes a difference.

Underboss
OP
msi afterburner is saying around 50+ out of game

Fan profiles in wattman ?
not sure what im doing really

but tomorrow, im going to clean inside the case and check idle temps
then i'll add a fan to the side and check idle temps again

its a bit cramped in my case, so i think the airflow is rubbish

Soldato
Mine is set in Afterburner, go to options and then the 'Fan' tab.

Just out of interest, did you buy the card recently, and if so was it new or second hand?

It could be that a good blast of canned air and a reapplication of thermal paste would make a healthy difference if its been used for awhile. It's definitely worth giving your case a clean and checking/improving airflow either way.

Also try setting your power limit to default, aka + 0 rather than + 50 and see what happens. I realise most people recommend you pop the slider all the way along to max, but it's not always necessarily the best thing to do. Mine is at 0 and I have no issues whatsoever, with it at + 50 I had a noticeable temperature increase when gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm.

I think if you check your case airflow + give the card a good clean (and apply some new thermal paste if needed) you should see a good improvement in temps.

Not to disparage the guy you bought it from, but a lot of polaris based cards were used for mining and the people selling them on aren't always honest.

Soldato
MSI will override it if you click the checkbox on the fan tab for "Enable user defined software automatic fan control" -- you could do it via the AMD drivers, I just find Afterburner easier/quicker to access when I'm messing about.

Soldato
Ouch.

I think you might need to reapply the thermal paste on it bud, give the heatsink a good blast of air while you're at it. I can't think of much else you can realistically do. It's worth trying before buying something new at least, I don't imagine you'd easily sell it on when it's running so hot.

Soldato
ive just noticed, all my Voltage changes in wattman are back to default when i load my profile
not sure whats going on here

I'd recommend saving a profile once you set your voltages, so you can quick load any resets.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, if you get a crash in a game it'll often reset the settings even if the crash isn't driver related. Try running a game after ensuring the settings are in place and see what your temps are, fingers crossed.

Underboss
OP
Ran superposition , put it on 4K optimised

hoved around 80 for a while, max was 83
bit better not by much

think its down to air flow, going to get new front case fan, switch it to a 4pin design to put onto motherboard to start with
i might be getting a 5700 XT to replace my GPU with also

Back
Top Bottom