Recommend me some trance?

Soldato
OP
This thread is very much inspired by my weekend of trance. I got to meet Jon O'Bir on friday at one of the most fun trance nights i've ever had. There was a very small intimate atmosphere and the music right through from the warm up DJ to Jon O'Bir and then Paul Pearson who closed b2b with Jon O'Bir was spot on. The original venue kicked us out at 1.30 because not enough people had turned up, not to be deterred the promoter found another club with a spare room so we all trecked along to the new venue and carried on partying!! Completely random but very cool.

Then Saturday was Crasher Day, the line up was very techy which suited me down to a T. Mauro Picotto played some really dirty, trippy, minimal techno (enough adjectives there for you?) and finished his set with all the old classics; Lizard, Verdi and check out this video of komodo what an incredible moment. Randy Katana played next and having never seen him before i was very very impressed, boshy music from start to finish, just relentless percussion and energy it was fantastic. I'm really going through a massive tech trance phase so Marcel Woods was the DJ i was waiting to see the most and he certainly didnt disappoint! Those 3 DJs combined probably put on the best 4 or 5 hours of music i have ever heard in a club. Awesome stuff

Maor Levi - Reflect
Really nice progressive trancer, i've known about it and liked it for a while now but it took on an extra meaning after hearing it this weekend

Markus Schulz - Never be the same again (Coldharbour Club Remix)
Exactly the same description as before :p

Simon Patterson - Panic Attack
Trance meets full on psy in this belter of a track.

Randy Katana - Another Wave
Very bouncy and very dancy, much like the divini and warning track posted by smilie man

Marcel Woods - Dont tar me with the same brush
He opened his set with this track on sat, it's just a quality piece of tech trance

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
krooton said:
Whilst I do like this track, you can't deny that A&F are getting samey :(

Yep, and a bit too 'fluffy' for my liking. Their remix of 'Deems - Tears of hope' for example, the breakdown goes on foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever

Also i don't suppose you know much about Andy Bagguley? There is a small possibility i'll be seeing him at the weekend

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
tntcoder said:
Thanks Grrrrr, some great tracks there, must have been a good night :)

Im really liking Airbase - One Tear Away at the moment

Also, Airbase - Rest In Peace is very nice :)

Airbase -

I've just listened to the full tracks of both and i'm not to keen on the first one, the second one however is pretty cool. Needs to be cranked up a few bpm i feel but definitely worth listening to again :)

Caporegime
Grrrrr said:
Yep, and a bit too 'fluffy' for my liking. Their remix of 'Deems - Tears of hope' for example, the breakdown goes on foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever

Also i don't suppose you know much about Andy Bagguley? There is a small possibility i'll be seeing him at the weekend

He rocked it at Electronic Sessions on the weekend :D

Soldato
OP
Ok quite a few this time round and i have to confess i'm putting up a lot of these for my own reference it's pretty tricky remembering millions of tracks. I still think there are at least a couple of you that check these out as well though

Emjay & The Atari Babes - Real High (AK47 Remix)
This track is from last year but i rediscovered it this week, very epic, very trancy, love it

Re:Locate vs. Jonas Steur - Nasty
Very 'electronic' would be a good track to pick up the energy a little bit in a set

Marcel Woods - Get the kleenex
Not his best but still a banging tech trancer from Marcel

DJ Atmospherik - Poker Cat (Will B's Texas Hold 'em Remix)
Pretty cool track i found, quite high energy

Carl B - Cursed
Fairly generic trance this one but a bit better than a lot of other stuff i've heard. It's got a bit of a dark edge to it

Hennes & Cold - Pressure
Bosh bosh bosh, you'll see what i mean if you listen to it :p

Kenidal Lopez - Heaven's Caliber
Not my cup of tea but i uploaded it for someone else so i figured i'd include it. It's very fluffy, hands in the air, long breakdown style trance

Soldato
My first recommendations. Not particularly new tracks or anything, just ones I like at the moment. :)

Marcel Woods - Cherry Blossom

Great techy trance, really good break as well which is in the mp3. Also is great for mixing into Advanced for the DJ types since it contains snippets of that throughout. :cool: Marcel himself does this in his EM.

Bolier & Coenraad - Mighty Ducks

The main line in this track is just really cool. The break in the full track is disappointing but ignore it! :D

Marco V - Any Better Or

Another techier track from me, I blame Pete for all this.

Last but by no means least!

U2 - Vertigo (Marcel Woods Bootleg Mix)

Not usually a big fan of rock remixes but this is a quality track. The break is excellent but you'll have to get the full track for that. :)

All but the Marco V track can be found in Marcel Woods' Essential Mix from the Tidy Weekender (urgh).

Soldato
OP
One More Solo said:
My first recommendations. Not particularly new tracks or anything, just ones I like at the moment. :)

Marcel Woods - Cherry Blossom

The Cherry blossom track is really really cool from 1.55 onwards (in your sample), ever since the first time i heard it the silly epic bit that starts at 53seconds has just annoyed me. When Marcel played CB at crasher he laid a vocal sample over top of that bit which improved the track loads :)

Soldato
OP
Jimmi said:
i'd say it was Tech Trance, but we could spend all day pigeon holing tracks

To be honest i don't think there is a right or wrong way of labelling tracks. It all comes down to personal opinion, stuff by marcel woods i would call tech-trance while 'life less ordinary' and 'rippin base' i would say was more electro

Soldato
Grrrrr said:
The Cherry blossom track is really really cool from 1.55 onwards (in your sample), ever since the first time i heard it the silly epic bit that starts at 53seconds has just annoyed me. When Marcel played CB at crasher he laid a vocal sample over top of that bit which improved the track loads :)

Aww, I like the silly epic bit. :p The vocal sounds interesting though, I wonder if there is a mix of the track with vocal?

Associate
Grrrrr said:
To be honest i don't think there is a right or wrong way of labelling tracks. It all comes down to personal opinion, stuff by marcel woods i would call tech-trance while 'life less ordinary' and 'rippin base' i would say was more electro

it is a minefield

i think we can all agree that there all quality EDM tracks :D

Associate
Just had a few minutes to listen through posted stuff, will comment at random:

Grrrrr said:

Tracks like this really do give the decription 'progressive' a run for its money. The subtle, slow and minimalist changes to the individual layers really give the track a reasonable sense of progression without working too fast. I like it.

Grrrrr said:

Absolutely crisp production here from Schulz, this is by far the best mix of 'Never be the Same Again' and as far as female-vocal trance goes, this is exactly what I like to hear. One of the best things I can say about this track, this mix in particular, is that has some interesting and original components; it's good to see artists get a little adventurous sometimes.

Grrrrr said:

This track is brilliant, it's packed to the brim with sequences, patterns, effects but it still seems to retain its composure and not fall completely to the feet of Psytrance.

Grrrrr said:

I'm liking the way Katana is going and Another Wave is definitely one of his better tracks. I think the tune is great, but it's a shame it doesn't have any peculiar or more interesting qualities to make it stand out more.

Grrrrr said:
Marcel Woods - Dont tar me with the same brush
He opened his set with this track on sat, it's just a quality piece of tech trance

I can't say anything more than you've said here, Marcel Woods knows his stuff when it comes to tech-trance and this track is solid proof of it.

Grrrrr said:

This is a good tune (I'm basing this on the sample alone, actually), but it feels as though the buildup to the drop is a little overplayed and it came across as a little too unpredictable. Maybe that's a good thing on the whole, I can't tell by the sample alone.

Grrrrr said:

Another great tune from 'Woods, not much more to say.

Grrrrr said:

I agree with you on the 'fluffy and floaty' feeling this track reeks of, but in my opinion the Original Mix is so clumsy in comparison to the Thomas Datt Remix.
It's a shame that in both mixes the point at which the tune drops is so embarrassingly anti-climatic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom