Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Yeah I never really understood that system when playing on PS4. sometimes it seemed to work as you would expect, and other times it didnt matter what you did, they knew it was you instantly

I guess they try to keep some aspects of the gameplay tight with the main missions and less important for the free roam. They do still adhere to old, illogical gameplay designs so you end up with the impossibility to break a small door with guns or dynamite to rob a bank "just because" - like in a RPG game you can't enter a room through a locked, old and cracked door if you don't have X amount of lock pick skills, although normally you should be able to blow it up to pieces with explosives, guns or even bring it down through melee and such! :rolleyes:

I guess devs are just afraid to move beyond the old tried and proven style of doing things. So many cliches!

Associate
Yeah I never really understood that system when playing on PS4. sometimes it seemed to work as you would expect, and other times it didnt matter what you did, they knew it was you instantly

Pretty sure you have to change everything for it to fully work including a different horse to not be identified. If you change all clothes, hair style, guns and horse you should be ok. It is not as bad as console release that's for sure they have changed it slightly since initial release.

Soldato
I guess it's about getting a balance, if you could just cover your face and do what you wanted whenever you like without getting identified it would be too easy.

Associate
Hi All,

I have an AMD system with a Vega 64 graphics card and an AOC AG322QC4 Monitor (a freesync 2 HDR monitor).

HDR is enabled in windows, but for some reason I cannot find any HDR settings within Red Dead? Can anyone point me towards the menu they are supposed to be under?

Cheers
Daniel

Associate
Hi All,

I have an AMD system with a Vega 64 graphics card and an AOC AG322QC4 Monitor (a freesync 2 HDR monitor).

HDR is enabled in windows, but for some reason I cannot find any HDR settings within Red Dead? Can anyone point me towards the menu they are supposed to be under?

Cheers
Daniel

Settings-Display HDR is the top option

Soldato
Yes whats that all about, you can't question him
“Gav...Gaaav....where are you?? Where are you...” - I feel so sorry for him. He’s just a random encounter npc who you will stumble across from time to time. You can question or reply to him once I believe. Be sure to talk to him if you do see him. Even the one legged veteran beggar who hangs around in Valentine - spare them both a chat.

As for the RDR2 robbing and npcs identifying you system - it’s always been a broken mess, which makes robbing trains a total PITA. Npcs in town do learn your outfit so it is wise to run after committing a crime and change into a totally different outfit - this has worked only a handful of times tbh.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Has anyone shot an animal and had a warning pop up? I did and it said 'WITNESS 'animal cruelty' and shortly after I was attacked by the sheriff and his deputies :confused:

justice was served :D

not had that happen yet but still early days.

Associate
Has anyone shot an animal and had a warning pop up? I did and it said 'WITNESS 'animal cruelty' and shortly after I was attacked by the sheriff and his deputies :confused:
You get this on owned animals like sheep, goats, cows, horses, chickens etc. If you take them down quietly with no witnesses you can avoid that. Some trapper items need those skins.

Ree

Ree

Associate
You get this on owned animals like sheep, goats, cows, horses, chickens etc. If you take them down quietly with no witnesses you can avoid that. Some trapper items need those skins.

kill the pet and the owner.. got it. snitches get stitches and all that.

Soldato
I guess it's about getting a balance, if you could just cover your face and do what you wanted whenever you like without getting identified it would be too easy.

And yet it "works" as in it gets used by the developers for a lot of missions without fail even in some blatant situations.

As a game designer you can put some limits if you don't want to abuse the system and at the same time remain within the logic/rules of the game world, like within a few days the town folk will forget about you - as in what you were wearing, horse you rode, etc., so you can ride in/walk with your mask on, do stupid stuff and ride out. Then change clothes (remember Mafia 2?) and you're good to go! Then another problem is that your bounty goes up if you shoot lawmen/people, with mask on (so they shouldn't know who it is), etc. Plus a tone of other illogical stuff present just because they've chosen to take shortcuts instead of implementing some real, logical, gameplay loops. Each one of this issue adds up and breaks the suspension of disbelief and with it, immersion.

Caporegime
And yet it "works" as in it gets used by the developers for a lot of missions without fail even in some blatant situations.

As a game designer you can put some limits if you don't want to abuse the system and at the same time remain within the logic/rules of the game world, like within a few days the town folk will forget about you - as in what you were wearing, horse you rode, etc., so you can ride in/walk with your mask on, do stupid stuff and ride out. Then change clothes (remember Mafia 2?) and you're good to go! Then another problem is that your bounty goes up if you shoot lawmen/people, with mask on (so they shouldn't know who it is), etc. Plus a tone of other illogical stuff present just because they've chosen to take shortcuts instead of implementing some real, logical, gameplay loops. Each one of this issue adds up and breaks the suspension of disbelief and with it, immersion.

I mean, in the real world they didn't know the name of every bad guy back then, they don't now either. If today a robbery occurs it gets X amount of work done on it, if a string of robberies of the same type occur it gets more resources put on it. In the wild west the same would happen in that if a bunch of rustlers were reported in a given area someone might offer a reward which increases over time. The game has to tread a line between knowing it's you and putting a bounty on "unknown rider" who happens to be you. If you keep robbing banks it makes sense they send more people and raise the reward on whoever is behind it, it's just that you're also playing the bad guy so you know the bounty is on you.

For me that is one of the mechanics that works fine though it could be better written that you are lets say a taller stocky guy with a scar on your left cheek and the locals are looking for a bandit with that description. Then your in game friends could refer to you by whatever name they come up with this bandit on the posters. So it's lazily done but it makes sense that bounties get increased on you even if they don't know who you are. Would also be cool to implement it as a description/rough picture on the poster and now and then you hear that you've been captured but they gunned down some dude who just looked like you.

Soldato
I mean, in the real world they didn't know the name of every bad guy back then, they don't now either. If today a robbery occurs it gets X amount of work done on it, if a string of robberies of the same type occur it gets more resources put on it. In the wild west the same would happen in that if a bunch of rustlers were reported in a given area someone might offer a reward which increases over time. The game has to tread a line between knowing it's you and putting a bounty on "unknown rider" who happens to be you. If you keep robbing banks it makes sense they send more people and raise the reward on whoever is behind it, it's just that you're also playing the bad guy so you know the bounty is on you.

For me that is one of the mechanics that works fine though it could be better written that you are lets say a taller stocky guy with a scar on your left cheek and the locals are looking for a bandit with that description. Then your in game friends could refer to you by whatever name they come up with this bandit on the posters. So it's lazily done but it makes sense that bounties get increased on you even if they don't know who you are. Would also be cool to implement it as a description/rough picture on the poster and now and then you hear that you've been captured but they gunned down some dude who just looked like you.

The problem is that bounty hunters will spot you no matter what disguise/clothes you have (I think), so it makes no sense. The idea is not bad, but it does need a lot more refinement.

Back
Top Bottom