Red Orchestra (2) : Heroes of Stalingrad

Soldato
I think the graphics looks fine, will go nicely with my 8800 gtx lol.

But really, it looks great, lots of fun, a true pc fps, what more could you ask for. This game will be with us for a while and then there's the expansions, mods which are already in dev. Pacific and vietnam exp/mods will be cracking.

I was hoping I would see the beta downloading on steam when I started up this morning so I guess maybe it will happen late tonight or another day. Must be close though.

Soldato
"Originally Posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger
It's not tomorrow, sorry, still some work to do."

From tripwire forums, was posted last night at 11pm, either truth or he's having some fun and it will release today.

"Originally Posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger
Maybe you would, but the average gamer is going to jump in expecting to play the final product, basically a demo of sorts. And if the game is buggy they will tell all their friends the game is buggy. So we're going to fix some things up first and get it ready then release the beta. We're not just sitting on a finished beta twiddling our thumbs. We're busting our butts 7 days a week 12-14 hours a day to get it in your hands. So give us some ******* slack - we do have to sleep!!! Now go watch the trailer, and show your friends! "

Then posted that a few mins later.

I think maybe the end of the week is more likely now.

Associate
Compared with RO:Ost the graphics are immense :p

IMHO the game play produces immersion not the graphics. But I concede the point that if top notch graphics are your thing then I guess you will be a disappoint.

Associate
Pre ordered the Deluxe. I don't look for new games much any more but this looks interesting and will hopefully remind me of my COD, CS, MOH days. Obviously with a much harder learning curve.

Caporegime
Maybe you would, but the average gamer is going to jump in expecting to play the final product, basically a demo of sorts. And if the game is buggy they will tell all their friends the game is buggy. So we're going to fix some things up first and get it ready then release the beta. We're not just sitting on a finished beta twiddling our thumbs. We're busting our butts 7 days a week 12-14 hours a day to get it in your hands. So give us some ******* slack - we do have to sleep!!! Now go watch the trailer, and show your friends! "

Think that developer needs to wind his neck in, a "Beta" isn't meant to be perfect and bugs are expected. Then again he falls just short of calling it an actual demo which it is obviously intended to be. They should just call a spade and spade and call it a demo as thats what it is, this bs of "beta" builds launching 2 weeks before the retail product is laughable, who actually believes what you're playing is Beta software?

Soldato
Think that developer needs to wind his neck in, a "Beta" isn't meant to be perfect and bugs are expected. Then again he falls just short of calling it an actual demo which it is obviously intended to be. They should just call a spade and spade and call it a demo as thats what it is, this bs of "beta" builds launching 2 weeks before the retail product is laughable, who actually believes what you're playing is Beta software?

But what he is saying is that this IS a beta so is buggy as **** at the moment. Not the EA style "We were going to do a demo but to make it sound more exclusive its called a beta". The devs at Tripwire know that that is what other devs are doing so people expect betas to be super polished but theirs isn't as it is still an ACTUAL beta so people will ***** that the game is buggy and stop others from buying it.

Caporegime
But what he is saying is that this IS a beta so is buggy as **** at the moment. Not the EA style "We were going to do a demo but to make it sound more exclusive its called a beta". The devs at Tripwire know that that is what other devs are doing so people expect betas to be super polished but theirs isn't as it is still an ACTUAL beta so people will ***** that the game is buggy and stop others from buying it.

This close to release i very much doubt it, if the "beta" is still buggy then i don't see the retail version at this point being in much better shape. Wouldn't suprise me to see another delay.

Soldato
This close to release i very much doubt it, if the "beta" is still buggy then i don't see the retail version at this point being in much better shape. Wouldn't suprise me to see another delay.

Well that is why they delayed. This isn't Ubisoft, Tripwire delayed because the game is not ready so it would not suprise me to find out that the beta that is released to us will be buggy. As it will not be the most recent build.

Caporegime
Well that is why they delayed. This isn't Ubisoft, Tripwire delayed because the game is not ready so it would not suprise me to find out that the beta that is released to us will be buggy. As it will not be the most recent build.

It would probably be a lot easier to create a beta out of the latest code, than be arsing around with an older version trying to fix bugs that may already be fixed in a newer build.

Just have to wait on them updating in the forum.

Soldato

Well its not his fault the people who play "beta" judge it as a final product. Open Beta = demo nowadays and that's because majority of gamers are idiots as it appears. Although I'd think RO2 crowd is quite clever and wouldn't be so silly but think about it if a potential customer new to the franchise plays the "beta" finds it buggy (being average joe he does not fully understand what beta even is) tells all his friends that it sucks and we have another Brink.

Associate
I'm expecting the 'beta' to be a fairly close representation of the initial release.

TWI are a small team and friends that are in the closed beta have indicated that they can move to address issues fairly quickly. Judging from the initial code that they first experienced the game is now a lot improved in terms of feel and pace.

TWI claim that this is a 'beta' but I'm more inclined to believe this is a demo in beta clothing. Tripwire have been developing this project for 2 years or so and want it to be as close to a finished product as possible so as not to receive harsh or negative criticism. Which they believe will have a major impact on sales...

Associate
OP
Yeah by the time it gets to us its definitely not going to be a beta in terms of bug fixing and feature testing but I'd imagine mostly be a 'large numbers'/stress test in terms of how their hardware (master server) will cope when thousands of people connecting and updating stats etc as well as seeing any compatibility issues across a wide range of client hardware.

So no doubt will serve some use as a beta over a demo, but I'd guess its mostly a publicity thing at this stage. Hopefully it does mean a smoother day 1 release than a lot of new multiplayer games have, in terms of servers available and just mass connections.(I assume they'll release the server client for the DDE beta, which hopefully will be easily switched over or updated to the release code)

Back
Top Bottom