Reddit is dying

Soldato
First, they started charging for API access, so third-party apps died, and now they are cancelling all Reddit coins with no refund and no information on what (if anything) will replace them. That means that Reddit Premium will no longer give you 700 coins monthly.

So those 20k+ coins I have are now utterly useless after the 12th of September.

You buy them and then award them to people for good content.

Many people will say it is a massive waste of money, but I enjoy it, so I don't see it being much different from paying for other "useless" things like beer.
Hang on... so you give money to the owners of Reddit if someone who uses Reddit writes something you find interesting?

A fool and their money...

Hang on... so you give money to the owners of Reddit if someone who uses Reddit writes something you find interesting?

A fool and their money...
I primarily pay for Premium because it has useful features, like highlighting new comments since you last viewed a thread. The 700 coins a month that it comes with are a bonus.

Reddit discussions are dominated by the narrative set by a few ‘high scoring’ posts. Conversations can’t easily evolve behind that and good posts just disappear into nowhere.

For the record, I have saved the world on Reddit numerous times and never got any likes, so I’m duly mad.

Last edited:
I think Reddit and a lot of companies are going to find that if they want to make money from their userbase they'll need to do what other platforms do and split the revenue rather than taking money from advertisers as well as the user base. Reddit is fine for now but a competitor will come long eventually.

First, they started charging for API access, so third-party apps died, and now they are cancelling all Reddit coins with no refund and no information on what (if anything) will replace them. That means that Reddit Premium will no longer give you 700 coins monthly.

So those 20k+ coins I have are now utterly useless after the 12th of September.
I'll be honest here, I don't understand anything you wrote. API access, 3rd party apps, Reddit coins...........

Back
Top Bottom