• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reduce Coil Whine Today!

Associate
just dont tell them it has had a waterblock on it. apparently removing the warranty void sticker as a reason for voiding the warranty isnt legal.

Associate
I've got very bad coil whine coming from either the 3090 or the PSU.

Just ran Night raid and managed to get an almost buzzing sound out of the 3090 which is different to the noise I'm hearing constantly which is a high pitched almost metalic sound, and its there whether I'm at the desktop or playing games.

I just pulled my PSU out of the case and confirmed its that whining like a whiny thing. RMA raised with Corsair!

Soldato
Unfortunately hasn't resolved anything for mine after a night run last night which was painful since it in my bedroom lol. Can't even RMA as not being accepted as has had a waterblock on it so stuck with it now. Tempted to offload and get a 3080/3090 it so bad.

I mean in a stock system in a proper case with panels and it under the desk etc it probably wouldn't be so bad. However this is head height pretty much about 18" from me and right at the front of the build so no way to dampen the sound.

Take the backplate off. I have seen a fair few reports of noise being sent through gpu backplate and being significantly reduced with it removed. Other than that undervolt, and block i/o ports and other vents in the case. A lot of noise comes out the back of the card/case.

I have put my pc in a locked cupboard several feet away from me for this very reason. It gets a little hotter but no noise, ever. I know how painful it is, super super super annoying and i was tempted to sell and get rid of my pc at one point because of it.

Soldato
Take the backplate off. I have seen a fair few reports of noise being sent through gpu backplate and being significantly reduced with it removed. Other than that undervolt, and block i/o ports and other vents in the case. A lot of noise comes out the back of the card/case.

I have put my pc in a locked cupboard several feet away from me for this very reason. It gets a little hotter but no noise, ever. I know how painful it is, super super super annoying and i was tempted to sell and get rid of my pc at one point because of it.

I have tried without and it made no different in honesty. I have also now got the EK backplate that made no difference either. Undervolting tried as well. Unfortunately can't do the I/O and vents cause it hasn't got any to close haha. It is at front of an open case. See here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ec-striker-matx-build.18907096/#post-34411681

Soldato
I have tried without and it made no different in honesty. I have also now got the EK backplate that made no difference either. Undervolting tried as well. Unfortunately can't do the I/O and vents cause it hasn't got any to close haha. It is at front of an open case. See here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ec-striker-matx-build.18907096/#post-34411681

Thats a real shame then. I know your pain though, i went through several cards in the hope of getting a decent one. Power conditioner, multiple psus, motherboards, cables. Because it was just unbearable.

Undervolting helped for me but i am talking reducing voltage to minimum around 10% performance loss but a good 50-60% power reduction. Around 130% power draw to around 60% on my 2080Ti.

Open case ouch that must be a real ear sore, does look great though.

I was in the exact same situation in the end i just moved my pc further away because it was the only option i could see, best decision ever. I actually was originally going to make my own pc case like diyperks made in one of his videos, it irritated me that much. At one point i even considered building a case and putting it under my bed :D :cool:.

Shame its not sat on my desk anymore but the noise difference is just unbeleivable, don't think i'll have a pc on my desk ever again. Can hear a pin drop at full load.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 3090, no coil whine except in Solidworks when I rotate a model (in real view). Not really a whine so much more like white noise and quite loud.

That could be your psu. Put your ear to the PSU while rotating the model to check.

I've had a similar problem. But it was only when I got a new more powerful GPU that it became a problem. The PSU was more than capable in regards to the power delivery

Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone watercooling their 3080/3090 and has coil whine.

I added an EK water block and backplate for my 3080 and a huge amount of coil whine was present after the swap. I dropped EK an email and was told to remove these thermal pads from the backplate, which solved the issue.

ZX54nw4.png

Soldato

I added an EK water block and backplate for my 3080 and a huge amount of coil whine was present after the swap. I dropped EK an email and was told to remove these thermal pads from the backplate, which solved the issue.

ZX54nw4.png

i wonder if this will work with amd's cards, they say to apply 1mm pads to the coils but reports show the cards suffer from horendus whine once done

Soldato
i wonder if this will work with amd's cards, they say to apply 1mm pads to the coils but reports show the cards suffer from horendus whine once done

worth a shot, if you have bad coil whine either remove the thermal pads on the VRM or replace it with something else

Soldato
worth a shot, if you have bad coil whine either remove the thermal pads on the VRM or replace it with something else

on the gpu side they say 1mm, would you go less or more to see if whine goes away or just revmove from the coils, the refrence card dosnt have them covered but the waterblock's do.

i have a block and backplate inbound from ek direct, just intresed on opinions what i could do

Associate
I'm confused

Is the point of this to get your ears so used to bad coil whine that you don't mind the mild coil whine?

I'm lucky though my 3090 has no coil whine and it's the first gpu I've owned in 10 years without coil whine

It really must be luck of the draw. My 3090 is my first GPU ever with it!

It does seem to have softened a bit after 15 hours or so of use I've given it. Waterblock soon, see how it goes then.

Soldato
I have a 3080 FE which has some. Really cool running card and undervolts well. Any tips for improving / removing the noise for none water cooled?
My 2080 Ti had coil whine a bit aswell, but not quite as much as ghe 3080

Associate

ZX54nw4.png

I confirm this completely removed the coil wine from my EK Strix Waterblock with the 3090 however I would be worried about the additional thermals produced. I have now noticed EK have changed the manual for the backplate introducing thicker thermal pads and a fair few more of them which I am going to try. Hopefully this will resolve the issue and maintain the additional thermal transfer.

Soldato
I confirm this completely removed the coil wine from my EK Strix Waterblock with the 3090 however I would be worried about the additional thermals produced. I have now noticed EK have changed the manual for the backplate introducing thicker thermal pads and a fair few more of them which I am going to try. Hopefully this will resolve the issue and maintain the additional thermal transfer.

I am glad to hear it removed the coil whine for you.
Interesting that EK have changed the manual for the strix version, I just checked the EK EVGA backplate and it's the same. Did your stock backplate have any thermal pads in this location? I'm not sure mine did, I will check later.

Back
Top Bottom