Reducing fat intake

Soldato
I'm 5' 11" (or maybe 5' 10.5" not sure) and for my height, 11 and a half stone is what I'm supposed to be.
Getting older though my metabolism has slowed down a bit. A few weeks ago I was about 12 st 7lb but now I'm 13st 3lb which shocked me. Granted, I've been munching through bags of toffee popcorn :p which I've now stopped. I remember the days when I was stick thin and couldn't put on weight for love nor money. It's only the stomach that has grown, the rest of me looks slim.

Lockdown hasn't helped as being at home all the time makes me snack more, particularly sweet stuff.
I'm going to try and give up bread for a while. I've bought a packet of Ryvita which is supposed to be healthy. I quite enjoy it actually. I had a few slices with mature cheddar, flora light and cherry tomatoes. Would you say cheddar is not good to have, or maybe it would be fine if I buy the reduced fat cheddar?

Anyone else here find they've put on some pounds and what are you doing in the kitchen to counter that, or are you eating what you like but exercising regularly?

Tea Drinker
Don
Fat don't make you fat innit.

You've put on weight from sugar and crappy carbs eg toffee popcorn and bread, none of which have that much fat. Cut out the sugar, reduce your white crappy carbs eat more lean protein and veg.

Albeit I was shocked that 100g of belly pork is 510 calories because it's 95% fat. 300g of chicken thigh contain the same calories.

Permabanned
Just eat well and count the calories. People love to overcomplicate the whole loosing weight thing but it really is that simple. Exercise makes a great accompaniment to eating better but will do next to nothing with regards weight loss on it's own if you don't change your diet (unless you're an Olympic swimmer or Deadlifter).

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. So yeah, it's really the bread and sugar I need to reduce. Sugar sits in the body and creates fat though right?

I eat chicken and mackerel a lot and I steam a lot of veg, so i'm good on that front. Had brussels, cabbage and carrots last night with 3 legs of roasted chicken and a baked potato.

Calories to not exceed about 2000 a day right? Kinda hard though isn't it working out exactly how many calories you're eating?

Soldato
You need a weighing scale and you need to look up the calories per weight in what you're eating. It doesn't matter what type of food it is. It's still calories.

Do it for a bit and keep a note of how much of whatever is the right weight for a portion and it becomes less hassle over time. This has a tendency to push you towards easily weighable things. A whole chicken for example is annoying and will need guesstimation, chicken breast is far easier.

Unless you're drinking water you are drinking calories there also, milk, alcohol, fruit juice, sugar in tea/coffee, ditto sauces. It all contributes.

Then you need to not cheat and not be forgetful.

Last time I made an effort I kept a notebook of calories I ate and drank through the day.

Soldato
OP
You need a weighing scale and you need to look up the calories per weight in what you're eating. It doesn't matter what type of food it is. It's still calories.

Do it for a bit and keep a note of how much of whatever is the right weight for a portion and it becomes less hassle over time. This has a tendency to push you towards easily weighable things. A whole chicken for example is annoying and will need guesstimation, chicken breast is far easier.

Unless you're drinking water you are drinking calories there also, milk, alcohol, fruit juice, sugar in tea/coffee, ditto sauces. It all contributes.

Then you need to not cheat and not be forgetful.

Last time I made an effort I kept a notebook of calories I ate and drank through the day.

Thanks, that's great advice. I've got accurate kitchen scales so yes, that's the best way isn't it, to weigh my portions and find out what the calories are meant to be for that amount.
About calories, so it really doesn't matter what type of food regarding putting on weight, whether it's the fattiest, or white pasta or most sugary food, as long as the calorie intake is around 2000 a day?
For example, if I ate 2000 calories worth of popcorn alone and nothing else for a day, I wouldn't put on weight?

Associate
Get something like myfitnesspal and track what you're eating to give you a rough idea of how many calories you're going through. After a few weeks you should have a rough idea of where you're going wrong and what you're doing right.

You could technically eat nothing but lard and sugar all day and still lose weight if you're still in a calorie deficit, ignoring all the other potential health problems obviously.

Associate
You are almost in the right range for healthy weight for your height so perhaps you aren't doing much that badly and just a few small changes will keep you trim, main thing that helped me and I am still a fattie by the way so not the sage of weightloss or anything but have dropped 5.5 st though from my highs over the past year or so cutting down on white bread and garbage (biccys etc) and staying in a calorific deficit.

Last edited:
Soldato
About calories, so it really doesn't matter what type of food regarding putting on weight, whether it's the fattiest, or white pasta or most sugary food, as long as the calorie intake is around 2000 a day?
For example, if I ate 2000 calories worth of popcorn alone and nothing else for a day, I wouldn't put on weight?

Correct.

For the purposes of losing weight only it doesn't matter where the calories are from. Also I just remembered cooking oil or fats is another forgotten calorie source.

For health and variety you'll want to eat a wider range of things. Just work out the calories and stick it on the daily list.

Soldato
As above - pretty simple - Calorie Deficit. Eat less than you burn in a day, you will loose weight.

Obviously a varied diet helps more in overall health.

Track your food for a few weeks with any of the various free apps.

Man of Honour
Carbs are your enemy. Remove all sugar and generally decrease carbs in favour of fat to get your insulin sensitivity - which is bound to be completely shot to bits - back to its usual level. You'll then not be as hungry as often as your blood sugar won't be bouncing around like mad. For extra points look in to IF and attempt to get your eating window down as small as possible, you can easily get it to under 6hrs by just skipping breakfast (tablespoon of cream in coffee is alright), then making sure to not have a late dinner or snack in to the evening.

Soldato
OP
Get something like myfitnesspal and track what you're eating to give you a rough idea of how many calories you're going through. After a few weeks you should have a rough idea of where you're going wrong and what you're doing right.

You could technically eat nothing but lard and sugar all day and still lose weight if you're still in a calorie deficit, ignoring all the other potential health problems obviously.

Yes, that's the thing, other health consequences like high blood pressure and cholesterol.

You are almost in the right range for healthy weight for your height so perhaps you aren't doing much that badly and just a few small changes will keep you trim, main thing that helped me and I am still a fattie by the way so not the sage of weightloss or anything but have dropped 5.5 st though from my highs over the past year or so cutting down on white bread and garbage (biccys etc) and staying in a calorific deficit.

That's my biggest weakness, cakes and biccies. I havent done any cake baking for a long time but have been eating chocolate bars and biscuits and popcorn too much.
It's only my stomach and waist that has increased, my stomach makes me look 4 months pregnant. Arms, face, legs much the same as normal.

Correct.

For the purposes of losing weight only it doesn't matter where the calories are from. Also I just remembered cooking oil or fats is another forgotten calorie source.

For health and variety you'll want to eat a wider range of things. Just work out the calories and stick it on the daily list.

Thanks. I use olive oil regularly, a few drops in the saucepan if I'm frying mincemeat for a bolognese or a few drops on bacofoil before putting chicken in to roast.

As above - pretty simple - Calorie Deficit. Eat less than you burn in a day, you will loose weight.

Obviously a varied diet helps more in overall health.

Track your food for a few weeks with any of the various free apps.

I'll do that, I'll download an app.

Carbs are your enemy. Remove all sugar and generally decrease carbs in favour of fat to get your insulin sensitivity - which is bound to be completely shot to bits - back to its usual level. You'll then not be as hungry as often as your blood sugar won't be bouncing around like mad. For extra points look in to IF and attempt to get your eating window down as small as possible, you can easily get it to under 6hrs by just skipping breakfast (tablespoon of cream in coffee is alright), then making sure to not have a late dinner or snack in to the evening.

What's IF?
Yes, one of my biggest things I need to change is eating late.. I get carried away doing something and putting the cooking off till much later. Need to get out of that habit.

Low fat foods just make you hungrier and you eat more, since fat was demonised obesity has rocketed.

Sounds like a lot.

I normally have two pieces, but every now and then I've had three because I'd frozen three pieces together. I never considered chicken as having anything negative but yes, I can see that as it's about calories, even chicken in moderation.

Soldato
OP
Just installed MyFitnessPal. Pretty good, so far it found every item I typed in and variation on packet sizes of that item, gives me the calories and adds them up. I've put in I want to lose 24 pounds and it gives me options from 0.5 to 2lbs a week. I've gone for 1lb a week and it says I can only eat 1,580 calories a day. Be interesting to see how that works out. I wanted to lose 2lbs a week and do it in about 2 and a half months, but I think it would be asking a lot to eat only 800 calories a day.

Soldato
OP
Just eat well and count the calories. People love to overcomplicate the whole loosing weight thing but it really is that simple. Exercise makes a great accompaniment to eating better but will do next to nothing with regards weight loss on it's own if you don't change your diet (unless you're an Olympic swimmer or Deadlifter).

Apparently, 24 minutes of cycling, or 16 minutes running or 58 minutes of cleaning can burn 160 calories. But yeah, it's not much really.

Soldato
2000 calries a day is an AVERAGE.

It's fine if you are always active, EG work outside of manual employment, regularly participate in sports etc, doing a lot of walking like a postman etc, you probably could eat more than 2000.

Like most people if you work from home and sat on your arse all day you want to be eating a lot less than 2000.

Also I am the same height as you and up until about a year ago I was 11.5 stone and was for several years and its too low, I was literally eating nothing to stay at that weight, despite walking for an hour most days I literally wasnt prepared to live that way, I was misrable, I think 12/12.5 is perfect. Addmitedly I am a bit over that now bloody lockdown 2020 has been a bad year, but I am working on it again. If I can get back down to 12.5 Ill be happy.

Soldato
That's my biggest weakness, cakes and biccies. I havent done any cake baking for a long time

if you are cooking cakes, like meals, from scratch, you can be much better in control, eating what you like, and,
you know what you are eating and can make calorie calculation more easily.

Low fat foods just make you hungrier and you eat more, since fat was demonised obesity has rocketed.
yes - personally trying to eat more eggs, they are much more satiating.

and biccies
the wrappers tell you calories per biscuit - that bits not rocket science.

Soldato
Apparently, 24 minutes of cycling, or 16 minutes running or 58 minutes of cleaning can burn 160 calories. But yeah, it's not much really.

If you're doing travelling exercise it's basically how heavy you are and how far you've moved yourself.

You can use various calculators to give estimates for this: https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

It doesn't know if you're cycling up a hill and it doesn't ask how heavy your bike is (mine is 15kg!) so clearly there's some assumptions in these simple calculators but I can put in 90kg, 10 miles, 40 mins and get my estimated calories burned.

Back
Top Bottom