• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Refuse to buy a 1070 at current pricing

Associate
Title says it all, who else here thinks this is a disgusting price gouge from Nvidia on the 1070's, the $/£ conversion and then some.

Cheapest I can see in Europe is £420 (in €) I paid £280 for a GTX 970 EVGA SSC last year, I am willing to go to £350~ but that is ridiculous pricing.

It is making people buy the 1080 as it seems better value for money when in truth the gains from 1070 to 1080 are negligable even at 3440x1440!

I'm going to Florida next year so I'll hold out until then and get a bargain on one! Shame because I like to give OCUK my business but even though I just spent £900 on a shotgun on a whim, I can't somehow justify this pricing for a GFX card, despite making close to what I paid back for my 970, this is simply monopolizing the market and when a mid/high range gfx card outweighs the price of a console then there is some serious questions about the lifespan of the card and what increase we will have to pay next time around.

Anyone was going to buy a 1070 but after pricing decide to hold off now?

Associate
200.gif

Pretty much the same discussion that was had here

Associate
OP
Fair enough, im at work, on the schnide, its hard to search through, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

The 970 was the big seller as it was price/perf balance, this....this... I have no words....

Absolute disgrace and I'll wait til next August now.

Man of Honour
Pretty much same as I'm thinking - it would have to be atleast a minimum of 20% faster in every respect than it is to get me to pay out the current prices - I'd go as much as £380 for something like the Gigabyte Extreme but that is it and nothing like that for the normal models.

I was only thinking of getting one as a stop gap though - I'd have no qualms dropping £1000+ on big Pascal if it was actually a significant jump over Maxwell cards (though that isn't normally how I roll).

Soldato
I'm waiting for 480 performance to hit, if it sucks I'll bag an 1070FE, £399 aint that bad. Quality cooler and back plate, nearly double 970 performance and more than double the vram.

Associate
Most I spent on a GPU was £420 on a 980Ti last year, I felt extremely guilty after I installed it. GPU's are not worth that kind of money and I won't ever pay that kind of money again for one.

Man of Honour
Most I spent on a GPU was £420 on a 980Ti last year, I felt extremely guilty after I installed it. GPU's are not worth that kind of money and I won't ever pay that kind of money again for one.

Put it in my perspective (mostly bought at or shortly after release):

GTX780 GHZ
Price: £400
Gains over previous generation high end card: around 60%

GTX470 SLI
GTX260 SLI
8800GT SLI
7950GX2
Price: In the region of £400 for the pair.
Gains over previous generation high end card: average about 300%

In most cases I comfortably more than doubled my performance over the GPU setup before it each time I upgraded as well.

With the 1070 the gains over the previous generation are pretty much a big fat zero for roughly £400 and I don't even double my current setup.

Caporegime
it is simple they have ship loads of them made.dont buy they drop pricing.

they need to sell the units so if we dont buy them they drop pricing until we do.

the main factor what has not been thought about by many is. many modern games will play on cards we already own even at max settings at the main resolution of 1080.

the 1070 gtx is aimed at the 970 gtx market. the 970 gtx plays EVERYTHING at 1080 fine even with ultra settings. so those 1 million 970 gtx buyers do not need to buy one.

then factor in the AMD 480 for £200 pound which is the same speed of a 970/980 gtx new = imminent price drops of the 1070 gtx. regardless of it being faster but over priced.

Associate
After seeing the AMD showcase yesterday, its looking likely that nothing bigger than 480 will be in the stores until possibly next year from AMD. There will be no price wars as AMD have nothing to compete with Nvidia's new cards.

I believe people will be waiting a long time for prices to drop. For the 3-4 months of waiting for drops I rather just spend the extra £50 and have it now.

All being said, I am in a slightly different position to most having sold my 980Ti for £370, I decided £39 extra for a EVGA ACX SC at £409.00 for newer tech, new warranty and improving performance as drivers mature is not too bad of a deal. EDIT: Improved resale value over 980Ti too.

Plus I don't see the £ to $ improving any time soon either, another reason for inflated prices. It runs deeper than just greed.

I also find it very hard to believe that the 480 with a decent cooler will be sub £200, £260-£300+ for 8GB version I reckon, which will make a 1070 look ok for its current pricing/performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is ridiculous, but we live in a world where dual core CPUs are still selling for over £100 so it's come as no surprise.

Associate
I was expecting the clown edition to come in at between £300-320 and one with a decent cooler to be £350. Was ready to drop £350 max on a decently cooled 1070. But these prices just take the cake.

Being as these cards will be heavily out performed by vega and big pascal, I see no reason to over spend on them as they will lose a lot of resale value for me when I upgrade to big daddy Vega with HBM 2 :)

Therefore to just get me something new I will get a RX 480. Max I can see myself losing out on one of those is £50 when reselling ;)

Associate
So much entitlement kicking around these days.

It's like people think NV owe them a certain performance at a certain price point. Forgetting they are a business with shareholders and they have one purpose, to make money.

From the looks of stock levels of 1070's and 1080's, plus how many people appear to have purchased them, I'd say NV have a really good market and its a pure minority sat complaining.

Back
Top Bottom