Relatively new build - No post

Associate
Gigabyte B760M DSH3
Gigabyte 1000w PSU
64GB DDR4 vengeance
Antec AIO

OS is on M.2 and I’ve since disconnected all the HDD’s.

So PC has been up and running just fine and dandy until earlier today. I had delivered a GFX card, Powercolor 6700 xt. I powered down the system, installed the card, connected the 6&8 pin and when I turned it back on all the lights come on but no body is home.

No post
No keyboard lights
No display on out

I have tried HDMI and display port between onboard and the GFX.

I have removed the GFX

I have tried removing all the RAM

I have jumped CMOS

I have removed CMOS battery

I have completely stripped the PC down as far as removing every single component from the case and the Mobo. Cleaning and reapplying thermal paste.

I power the PC on, lights come on, fans spin, RAM and fans spin and RGB is on. After 20secs or so the system appears to shutdown and then restart again.

I am completely at a loss. The only other thing I can think to do is to build it outside the case as there could be a short somewhere?

Is my motherboard dead?

Soldato
I would unplug everything, just have the psu connected, 1 stick of ram. No fans or lights or anything else.

Can you try a BIOS flashback to the latest bios? Board may not support it apologies I haven’t checked.

Otherwise, it does sound like a potentially dead MB.

It could also be the PSU, but my experience of a faulty PSU is that they won’t operate at all, as in, you get lights on but press start and ‘click’ nothing. Where as yours sounds like it starts up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you run the GPU off one cable from the PSU or two? If you ran it from one cable and used a pigtail connector I wonder if you have damaged the PSU. Have you tried another PSU? Have you checked the connections at the PSU end if it's a modular PSU?

Hang on, it's a Gigabyte PSU - didn't they have all sorts of problems quite recently?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would unplug everything, just have the psu connected, 1 stick of ram. No fans or lights or anything else.

Can you try a BIOS flashback to the latest bios? Board may not support it apologies I haven’t checked.

Otherwise, it does sound like a potentially dead MB.

It could also be the PSU, but my experience of a faulty PSU is that they won’t operate at all, as in, you get lights on but press start and ‘click’ nothing. Where as yours sounds like it starts up.
It starts in so much as lights on, fans spinnning but nothing else. Also something I noticed which may or may not be relevant. The motherboard usually has a LED trace in the motherboard, kinda looks like you can see a lit up power connection but it’s like a cable in the board? My old ASUS Mobo has the same thing. Anyway, that is no longer lit.
Did you run the GPU off one cable from the PSU or two? If you ran it from one cable and used a pigtail connector I wonder if you have damaged the PSU. Have you tried another PSU? Have you checked the connections at the PSU end if it's a modular PSU?

Hang on, it's a Gigabyte PSU - didn't they have all sorts of problems quite recently?
I did run the GFX off a Y split, but only because I read the card only draws about 200 under max load. I think there was problems with Gigabyte in the recent past but this one does seem to be working.

I’ve ordered a replacement board now anyway, comes on Saturday. If that doesn’t work then next thing will be to try and get my hands on a different PSU. What a nightmare!

The PSU is a Gigabyte P1000GM, fully modular

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your problem seems very similar to mine.
Have you got any success running just the CPU+RAM+drive (main GPU removed) and using IGPU output?
Unfortunately no. It was the one if the 1st things I tried. What system has this happened to you on, when did it start happening for you?

Last edited:
Associate
My problem is having an older card, but its really baffling as it worked first time, than kind of died..

Associate
OP
Okay so I ran out to my local hardware shop, got me a motherboard speaker.

I get 4 long beeps then PC turns off. Annoyingly Gigabyte doesn't offer any information on their website about what the beeps mean for my motherboard :(

Man of Honour
When you clear the CMOS did you use the jumper on the motherboard also while disconnecting the power ?

Pull the board and build outside the case using CPU and one stick of memory also, see if you get an output from the integrated GPU.

Another thing is your motherboard has bios flash button so you could try an update the bios.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ll try a build outside the case when I finish work today, it was on my to do. Should I keep a cooler connected when I do this?

Associate
If you have a PC running on iGPU then the BIOS will be configured for it to be the primary VGA.
If you want to add a dGPU then you must first boot with monitor connected to mobo, enter BIOS, change dGPU to primary and then reboot, swapping monitor into dGPU.

Associate
OP
If you have a PC running on iGPU then the BIOS will be configured for it to be the primary VGA.
If you want to add a dGPU then you must first boot with monitor connected to mobo, enter BIOS, change dGPU to primary and then reboot, swapping monitor into dGPU.
It doesn’t post with or without the GPU. When I initially booted after installing the monitor was still connected to the motherboard output but it was already No POST at that stage. Any further trouble shooting has drawn a blank. I cannot access BIOS.

Soldato

bios for fixing no display with a 3060 card, might affect a similar spec from amd like 6700xt?

btw u checked if its shorting on anything?

In manual.

SPEAK (Speaker): Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup.

Last edited:
Associate
It doesn’t post with or without the GPU. When I initially booted after installing the monitor was still connected to the motherboard output but it was already No POST at that stage. Any further trouble shooting has drawn a blank. I cannot access BIOS.
So the only action which you took between POST OK and not OK was inserting a graphic card? Hard to see how that could have caused it unless there was physical/electrical damage, or the BIOS got corrupted. If you can't get a minimal system working (and it's not really worth risking the CPU by not mounting a cooler) to get into BIOS then you probably do need to write off the mobo. I note that the mobo has GBT QFlash so try that it you haven't yet.

Associate
OP

bios for fixing no display with a 3060 card, might affect a similar spec from amd like 6700xt?

btw u checked if its shorting on anything?

In manual.

SPEAK (Speaker): Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup.
I get 4 long beeps? There’s nothing anywhere about that. I did also look at the more premium versions of the same board to see if their manuals were better but only contained the same information

Back
Top Bottom