Relocating to the south west, Bristol or Cardiff?

Man of Honour
Bristol generally better IMO in terms of employment prospects and connectivity to England. It's also quite cosmopolitan, more so than Cardiff (admittedly its a while since I went to Cardiff). However it is surprisingly expensive; I was flabbergasted to discover how much friends of mine had paid for a small 2 bedroom maisonette in an average area. Commuter belt prices, but without being in commuting range of London.

If what you are saying is true and you can get the same money in Cardiff as Bristol and Cardiff is nearer to the things you enjoy then it could be way to go as you will get a much cheaper/better property.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whitewater kayaking will be better in Cardiff (near North Wales runs etc)

Bristol I think is nicer, done a bit of work in Cardiff and visited both cities. As I imagine Bristol is faarrrr more expensive than Cardiff (probably by a factor of 3?) id go for Cardiff if your employment prospects are indeed similar

Soldato
I was born in Bristol and lived there for 22 years before moving up the M4 with my wife... i miss Bristol a lot and often visit my parents.. Like others have said, there are areas where people dont reccomend but ive lived in them areas and never had any problems its just not nice to look at parts :p i lived in Easton which some of you on here may know of if your from Bristol or surrounding areas :D Ive also lived in Knowle, again not the nicest place but now my parents live in a decent part just outside the town centre... Its a big city with lots to do

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was born in Bristol and lived there for 22 years before moving up the M4 with my wife... i miss Bristol a lot and often visit my parents.. Like others have said, there are areas where people dont reccomend but ive lived in them areas and never had any problems its just not nice to look at parts :p i lived in Easton which some of you on here may know of if your from Bristol or surrounding areas :D Ive also lived in Knowle, again not the nicest place but now my parents live in a decent part just outside the town centre... Its a big city with lots to do
Some parts of Knowle are really quite lovely - I’m thinking the area near Perretts Park :)

Soldato
I lived in Bristol for a few years, 2006 to 2013 or thereabouts. It's a brilliant city, has it's bad areas and (mega) expensive areas but for nightlife, things to do, jobs, and easy access to Somerset/Devon/Cornwall and south Wales it's great.

I did a year as a delivery driver when I lived there and the traffic isn't as bad as everyone says... it's worse. :D:p I believe it's the worst traffic outside of London in the south of England.

Man of Honour
I did a year as a delivery driver when I lived there and the traffic isn't as bad as everyone says... it's worse. :D:p I believe it's the worst traffic outside of London in the south of England.

Peak time traffic in the South West has got pretty bad actually over the last few years :( it tends to go pretty quiet off peak but at its worse it is now almost if not as bad as what I experience when living in London. Bit frustrating as a lot of it is a mixture of a lot of new housing developments without enough work on the transport side and some truly inept work by some of the councils around here with vast amounts being spent on in some cases completely bizarre approaches to it.

Caporegime
OP
Decided to skip Bristol and definitely go for Cardiff. I don't want the long commute to Bristol, and I don't want to pay Bristol House prices (I won't be earning any more or Less in either place)

So exclusively looking in that area.

Really appreciate all the replies.this community is the best

Associate
Decided to skip Bristol and definitely go for Cardiff. I don't want the long commute to Bristol, and I don't want to pay Bristol House prices (I won't be earning any more or Less in either place)

So exclusively looking in that area.

Really appreciate all the replies.this community is the best

Oddly enough I once used to live near Stamford before relocating to Cardiff. All the best with the move!

Soldato
Oddly enough I once used to live near Stamford before relocating to Cardiff. All the best with the move!
I lived in Peterborough before moving to Bristol, no comparison. And when I was very young I lived in Little Bytham, just outside Stamford, still have family in Bourne. I truly would not want to live there again, lack of jobs, in fact a lack of anything really. I've lived in Bristol and now Maidstone in Kent, which although in the country there's a wealth of jobs (and people) here so doesn't ever feel out in the sticks.

Good luck with the move OP, make sure to make the most of what's (going to be) on your doorstep!! :)

Caporegime
OP
I lived in Peterborough before moving to Bristol, no comparison. And when I was very young I lived in Little Bytham, just outside Stamford, still have family in Bourne. I truly would not want to live there again, lack of jobs, in fact a lack of anything really. I've lived in Bristol and now Maidstone in Kent, which although in the country there's a wealth of jobs (and people) here so doesn't ever feel out in the sticks.

Good luck with the move OP, make sure to make the most of what's (going to be) on your doorstep!! :)

Thanks! Yeah it's pretty bleak here isn't it. Only people I know here moved here for jobs. No one chose to live here. I think that says it all

Soldato
I used to live in Bath - the ‘Bear Flat’ area and would literally move back there in a heart beat if i could.

Wife is too obsessed with London (which I loathe) at the moment and won’t move out of Surrey sadly. Surrey used to be such a great and leafy place but the commutable areas such as Guildford, Epsom, Dorking and the like have just become SUV car parks.

One day I’ll get back to the West Countey and hopefully Bath- gorgeous architecture, stunning landscapes and historic houses, country roads, pretty villages, great shopping, amazing views from Alexandra Park, good pubs, warm summer evenings in Sydney Park listening to live music and drinking fizz........ one day......

Soldato
Live in Filton but looking to move out a bit for some more greenery.... other than that Bristol has everything we ever needed and more.

If you have £350k you can buy our place.....

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for all the input guys.
Making the move to Cardiff within the month

Cardiff seems better for me and cheaper too.
And with my salary being same in Cardiff as Bristol it's a no brainer.

Can't wait. So much greenery, sea Pembrokeshire, beautiful country all round

Once I get sorted I'm buying a sea kayak and following this will probably die at sea .You only live once!

Last edited:
Associate
I moved from Bournemouth to Bristol 6 months ago, i'm sick of it already. :(
There is plenty of shops and amenities around, but getting to them, well, good luck.
Traffic is terrible, even into the early evening, after rush hour has finished its still a nightmare getting around, some days I just give up and go back home.
Because the M5 is right next door, come the weekend you wont be going anywhere, people traveling from wales and other areas to Bristol, and Cribbs causeway which is full of "Super stores", and attracts shoppers from all over.

My current job requires me to drive mostly along the M4/M5, I do roughly 1200 miles a week, there isn't a day that goes by there isn't some kind of incident on the motorway, bringing it to a standstill.
Also most the roads are in poor shape and there are road works everywhere, so with Bristol being awarded the "greenest" city in the UK, its not hard to see why!

If you prefer to stay home, then Bristol ain't that bad.

Excuse my negativity, I'm just a grump.
Hopefully I don't put you off if you are planning on moving to Bristol.

Other than that, the people I have encountered seem nice, lol

Caporegime
OP
Just got a job in Cardiff.
So I'm very happy. The beach is 15 mins drive away ,the hills are so close. Spent a couple of days there for my interview. The city doesn't seem big.

Can't wait
3 interviews and got Offered all 3 jobs. Which I was pretty pleased with.

Turned one down as it was near current home even though it was more money.
Turned one down in Bristol and too far to commute (see the above post!)
Accepted this one because I really like the sound of the company.

Soldato
I spend a fair amount on time in the South West.

I've been living in Cardiff for almost 2 years now. And I absolutely love it. I moved here from London back in 2017 for work and have been here (Cardiff Bay) ever since. Great nightlife, great food and lots to do. You have Llandow ciricuit about 45 mins away... And if you want to get away from the city. You have the entrance Brecon Beacons, about 60 mins away.

As for Bristol. I often have to pass through there to either catch a flight or train to to meet with a client in Taunton... I had an interview in the Temple Meades area shortly before moving to Cardiff. And to be honest I didnt like what I saw (of the centre)... I'm not sure what is going on there but the roads are an absolute mess. I'm sure it's great outside of the centre though.

Oh... The people here are far friendlier than londoners lol

Back
Top Bottom