Relocation to Spain Experience

Soldato
Since i've mentioned in pretty much every thread i post in these days about this move, i thought i might create a thread. If for nothing more than a diary of all the crap i have to put up with and try and make decisions by writing them than anything else!

Back Story
My parents bought a place in Spain just north of Benidorm in a coastal town called Moraira around 1999, as such i spent quite a bit of time there during school holidays. They used it as a holiday home for around 15 years before spending more and more time over there and finally becoming resident just before Brexit. They now only head back to the UK once a year for a couple weeks to see family/friends.

My wife and i have always had the idea of retiring to Spain, however that being at least 20 years away was always a bit of a pipedream. Enter Covid and remote working. My wife had worked remotely for a few years due to illness, however i'd always been office based. A shift to home based work meant we could consider moving over and working from Spain. In around September 2021 we spent 2 weeks there and confirmed it was the life for us, came home and approached our companies (i'd only been in my current job for 5 months at the point of raising this!) The plan was to target May 2024 as the move date due to my wifes daughter doing an AAT apprenticeship and us agreeing to support her during that.

We also needed to apply for my wife to become an Irish Citizen through descent. This can take up to 2 years but was needed so we could move/work there.

September 2022 we went back for 2 weeks, and spent 10 days driving up the coast checking out different areas. Whilst it's lovely where my parents are, it's very touristy during the holidays which gets unbearable. It's also very expensive and the houses are close together. I always insisted i wanted the feeling of space around the property with mountain/sea views from my patio rather than staring at a fence/hedge.
The first day took us ~30 minutes inland to a town called Orba, nestled at the end of a valley. It was a lovely place surrounded by orange groves in the floor of the valley and houses dotted on the hills. Views from most properties would be great, it wasn't too big a drive to the coast or my parents and the houses got a little bigger/more land for our budget.

We then continued up towards Valencia stopping off at Xativa (very inland), Cullera (coastal), Valencia (big city), Castellon (city/coastal) and finally Peniscola (hilarious name). Peniscola we had seen on youtube and it looked idea, property at a decent price, surrounded by a natural park and close to the beach. However we got there on the day of a Fiesta and it was rammed, then chatting to a few locals it turned out that during peak season it was even busier and winter periods everything shut down. The opposite of what we actually wanted. Seems this is the Cornwall of Spain for the locals from Madrid/Barcelona. We headed back to my parents with our heads buzzing.

Over the next few months we spent most of our time looking at potential houses, joining various expat groups and hoovering up information and setting plans.

I then decided that it made sense to head over for 3 months in March to make sure it worked for us as a proper lifestyle, for our jobs (i deal with a lot of US people so time difference is another hour worse!), and just generally right for us. We opted to stay near to Orba which we visited on the first day in a village called Tormos.

Can just see it to the in the upper Left corner, my parents place in Moraira in on the bottom right coast.
tXYbsRA.png

The owners had a big house which was fully separate so we had the ground floor which included the pool/patio areas. The plot was amazing, the second top row of houses, but on a corner so nothing to one side and no-one really above either.

Got greeted with great sunrises, and bright moons :)
vUUvARh.png

DG6G6xC.png

Downside being the sunset the other side of the house and we'd lose the "sun" from around 4pm, it was also a little windy being at the end of the valley it channeled the wind and so got cool out of the sun at times.

I'm a fan of trail running and had trails like this less than 5 minutes from the front door which was amazing.
fC2rymn.png

The valley floor was also full or orange groves, with lots of roads running through for the farmers. You could do a great bike ride through them all stopping off at various bars on the outskirts for food/drinks. We were lucky to be there for the smell of orange blossom which was incredible.

After the initial week or getting stuff set up, we were pretty much convinced the move was right for us. The Valley we were in (Orba Valley) had another valley over a hill called the Jalon Valley (famous for wine) has lots of tiny little villages dotted around, each around 3km from each other so it's nice passing through them all. We pretty much agreed that any of these areas would be perfect and give us what we wanted. There's a town called Pedreguer or Pego which i quite fancied. They were bigger but also at the "entrance" to the Valley so had similar views but was 10 minutes closer to the beach.

My initial plans were to work UK hours, so 9:30-6:00 in Spain. However, i'm rubbish at sitting around, so i'd wake up at 8ish, then just fidget for 90 minutes unable to relax before work. I need to get better at that and maybe try running at that time. After a week i switched to 9am - 5:30 which worked a little better for me. By the time i got up, took the dog out, made coffee and sat and drank it reading the BBC it wasn't usually far off 9am.

We pretty much spent our days working as normal. Then finishing up, maybe having a bit of a walk/bike ride, then tea and ending up watching tv. It was a bit awkward as due to losing the sun, and the outdoor furniture not being very comfortable we didn't sit out in the evenings as much as we'd expected.

I've mentioned elsewhere, but my wife has a chronic disability called M.E/CFS, the journey there wiped her out and took a few weeks to recover from, however once recovered she was definitely better than when we're in the UK. She works part time, so would finish at 2pm and then it was nice for her to be able to sit out for a bit in the sun and read her book or go for a small walk vs the UK where she'd just end up staying on the sofa waiting for me to finish work because the weather isn't nice enough to be outside.

The beach was *just* that bit too far to head to in the evenings at a 35 minute drive each way. We were also limited due to the dog not being allowed on most beaches. Although he was ready for swimming!
L38Ckhm.png

(Disclaimer - He can't actually swim, he's too small/heavy so sinks. Although if i held him in the swimming pool he seemed to enjoy the motion. Plan is to buy him a proper float)

On the days he did come to the beach, the stupid idiot enjoyed completely ignoring the shelter we setup for him (ensuring we burnt as we were too busy worrying about him) and proceeding to overheat
QJfSr6R.png

The water in the taps is drinkable, however it had an unpleasant taste. We debated buying a Brita filter but never seemed to get around to it. I tried to get her to drink water from the local Fonts but she wasn't a fan. Think the green moss growing nearby put her off!
HyW8eLP.png

We ended up splitting the water. She's had supermarket bottles and i'd use this font which was around 2km from the house (I progressed to filling up 5L bottles!)

After a month, i had the superb idea that we should buy a car ready for the permanent move. This would mean one less hassle when we came out and avoid the need to rent something at an hefty cost. My wife, wonderful as she is, gave me felly autonomy on choice. She said we've always had something she wants so i could have something i wanted. I love a convertible, however with a dog and only planned on 1 car. A small 2 seater convertible didn't make sense. My wife also needs an Automatic for the times she drives and enjoys the high up seating position of an SUV. She did however want something "small" due to the narrow streets.

Step up my dream car. A 25yr old 4 litre Jeep Wrangler TJ. My wife was hoping i wouldn't actually buy it given she thinks it's stupid. However it's perfect. Can easily stick a surfboard on the roof, the top comes off on sunny days (which would drip sand from said surfboard onto the passengers as my wife pointed out) and it's footprint is actually smaller than a modern Mini (i would've actually preferred a newer Wrangler JK - However they upped the size considerably). It's also surrounded by rubber bumpers at all arches so even if you drive into something you're not ruining the car!
rfAu6Mh.png

It's wonderful. Sure it has some flaws, it does around 15mpg, has horrific road noise over 50mph, my wife can barely climb into it and has very little space for luggage if you have the rear seat fitted. However it's perfect and drives incredibly well. I need to do some stuff to it and have just bought a load of stuff to it, but that's for another thread in Motors!)

We agreed whilst we were there not to view any houses, checking them out on their equivalent of Rightmove was fine to get an idea of areas and what was achievable, however the last thing we wanted to do was love something before we were ready to buy. In Spain you put down a 10% deposit which you lose if you don't complete within a set timeframe so it's an expensive risk! This plan was absolutely fine for 11 weeks of the 12 weeks, until i suggested we drive further south of Alicante. We'd previously discounted the area of Murcia/Torrivieja as they always seem very "Bargain Loving Brits Abroad" which we've been keen to avoid. However property is cheap. What would cost €400k near where we were would be ~€250k down there and it's only a 90 minute drive.

The night before we headed down i saw a facebook advert for a house in a town called La Romana. It was spectacular in every way, but after showing the wife, i moved past it as we have with other houses we've seen. We drove down to a place called Catral and then further towards the coast of La Marina. Trying to avoid the bigger seaside towns in the hope of getting something a little more Spanish than the more well known touristy English areas. However having driven through we weren't a fan. It was too flat and felt a bit run down.

My wife had mentioned she was feeling like Chinese and had seen a nice place in a town called Rojales. I completely mis-remembered these and had La Romana in my head from the property and so took us to the wrong place. We pulled up at a tiny little Spanish town inland from Alicante in a place called the Hondon Valley. It had a great feel, really spanish with only around 2000 residents. At this point we discovered my mistake but said we'd drive around the outskirts to try and see the house from the outside. We pulled up google earth to try and find it and failed. At this point i rang the estate agents for an address. The problem in Spain is everyone is secretive. Properties stay empty as many are holiday homes so are at risk of break ins, and there's no agreements between agents so they're scared of getting poached. As such they mentioned they were local and could meet us there in 10 minutes for a proper viewing. Whilst this went against everything we said we would do, we went for it.

It was a huge mistake. The house was genuinely perfect. I've posted it in TIAM previously and we drove home talking about plans for if we lived there. Got back to our apartment and set about looking at ways to make it a viable option. We could afford the initial 10% deposit, but with our UK house not yet even up for sale there was no idea when we'd be able to proceed. I looked into whether we could get a mortgage anyway and just struggle to pay both side by side in the short term but the mortgage lenders in Spain needed proof our UK one was paid up. In the end someone snapped it up above asking price and we were left cursing ourselves for even looking! Youtube for the house below. It was somehow even better in real life.

This has re-evaluated what we want though. Whilst the views i posted above from Tormos were nice. There's still a housing estate feel to it and the neighbour noise associated to it. The above house is surrounded by olive groves/fields and there's a rule in the area where to build a house, you need a plot of around 10000sq ft and can only build on a certain percentage so it ensures it's never going to be too built up. We've since seen a few houses in this valley and whilst not quite as nice and not with a cave house to renovate, something i'd love. They could be made as nice over time.

The time came to head back home and whilst disappointed, it was an exciting time because we has resolve to get home, sell and be back by November 23 (Our daughter decided to drop out of her AAT after level 3 and not finish the final year so was working full time). We drove back a different route and added on an extra day. The journey down was long and really took it out of my wife, and with the weather being nice, it was going to be nice to spend more time in places along the way. We went up the West coast of France stopping at Saint-Jean de la Luz, La Rochelle and Calais. It was a much more pleasant with only 5-6 hours driving each day.

Back home we set about decorating and tidying up the mess the adult kids had made whilst we were away and got the house advertised. It sold after 3 weeks and we're now targeting the end of September for completion (no chain either side so hopefully be straight forward). I've been clearing out loads of stuff and telling the wife we'll have limited space. However i've also added to our stuff by buying various large things for the Jeep (soft top roof and front seats)

The plan is to rent for ~6 months whilst we find somewhere to buy. We didn't want to buy anything till we had the money in the bank ready to move, however i have started an application for a mortgage in principle. The downside is Spain has very high taxes, and so Stamp Duty is around 10% and then solicitor/notary fees are around 3% on top. So you have to add around 13% of costs on top. Combined with Non Spanish Tax residents only being able to get a mortgage for 70% max LTV and this dropping to 60% when looking at rural properties. This means the potential house value is lower than we'd be able to afford as we need a big chunk for fees taking away from our deposit.

One thing i've not settled on yet is where to rent. The sensible thing is to aim around the Valley we like. However, property gets very cheap down towards Almeria/Mojacar further south. The negatives being that it gets hotter and windier down that way and with the recent heat waves likely getting more common, this could make things unpleasant. Benefits being you have lots on your doorsetp. The Sierra Nevada mountain range is huge, whilst still being close to the beach. Could have both within 30 minutes drive!

The other option would be to explore further north near Girona, just south of the Pyrenees. Again the benefits being near some big mountains, whilst also getting a much cooler climate. Even in summer it rarely averages above 30C which could be great as climates get hotter. However looking last night, it's really expensive, and the houses we could afford wouldn't come with the space we want. A lot also don't have private swimming pools which we want. I'm sure there will be properties which suit, if we gave it the chance though.

Anyway this is pretty much where we are now. This afternoon i'm going to buy a van with the plan to drive our stuff over and sell it once we're there. Will likely put all our stuff in storage. Not sure my parents can deal with any more of our stuff at their house. The ferry is booked for the 1st October.

We're a bit in limbo, there's not much point packing things up yet as it's 8 weeks till we move, but at the same time it feels we have loads to do and sort out. Just nothing can really be done at this stage.

We've got our NIE, which is a foreigner identity number. My wife is an Irish citizen now. So we just need to get over there, my wife gets her residency which is straight forward being an EU citizen, then i apply as the spouse of an EU citizen and get all the same benefits/rights as an EU citizen. I'm basically reliant on her and she makes a point of removing her wedding ring whenever i annoy her!

Work wise. The plan is for her to become Self Employed and invoice her business. She also gets a disability benefit which it looks like she's still entitled to, however this will be taxed in Spain. Self Employed people get stung quite a bit in Spain and it's not like the UK. You basically pay a fee every month for your Social Security contributions regardless of your income. So her effective rate of tax will go from about 5 % in the UK (due to part time working and having the 12.5k personal allowance and no tax on benefits), to about 28% in Spain. The benefit being that she won't need to pay for health insurance as many other EU citizens do. Given her health conditions this would likely be expensive.

Once i've got my residency, my plan is to transfer my contract to a Spanish company within our wider business. They'll likely charge a 5% intercompany fee and i think the employer cost of employment is higher so unsure entirely what effect this will have on my salary. I have a meeting with my boss and the CFO next week to discuss. The other option would be for me to also become self employed in Spain and invoice my company in the UK. However it would be good to be properly employed for mortgage purposes etc.

This is pretty much where we're at now. A bit of limbo until we get over there and things start flying thick and fast!

Any opinions on either Almeria are or further up towards Girona would be greatly appreciated!

Until then, i look forward to this being my life again!

MRIJYew.png

Soldato
OP
Seeing the sea from your bed adds a quality

Can you get adequate Broadband in rural areas.

Have you really investigated cost of running your own pool - have lived in a French 'domaine' 50-60 houses where we had a communal pool, which in practice was largely empty when you came in from work,
you had to pick your time during tourist season and weekends, but otherwise an efficient solution,
this was about a 14m pool where you could get some exercise, I question benefit of pools that many people have in villas.

what's the mosquito situation like - just have to be disciplined about enabling the vapouriser a few hours before sleeping in season.

Will you get a SKY UK contract before leaving.

My parents pay around €15 a week for a pool guy, although i reckon i can do the maintenance myself. Just becomes a weekly task in the mornings. Probably some cost to run pumps etc. Heated pools are expensive, but i'm happy with cold. Nothing better than a freezing cold pool after a long run!

Broadband is generally on a lot of areas, but certainly a factor. Most urbanisations have 300mb fibre, including the house above. We don't want to be fully remote/off grid. There's still a lot of houses with septic tanks/underground water deposits, but that's a bit much for us. Otherwise there's starlink type products around €100/mth but would just be the cost of living where we are. Reliability seems decent though.

Mosquitos love me which is annoying. Where we rented i never got bitten, except for when i was at my parents. They have loads of pine hedges by the seating areas/pool. Hoping that by having a bigger plot we'll have less trees close by and therefore avoid them where possible. Otherwise i hope my body adapts to them! I seem to have an overly productive immune response so tend to get very big reactions/swelling to bites. The other year my leg looked like John Merricks face!

Nice read, I wish i did a write up like this when I moved to New Zealand nearly 6 years ago now! Would have been cool to read back now. Though, thinking about it, i think i might have made some sort of post but not quite as thorough as this!

Good luck on your move, I really do like the Spanish lifestyle and the rural countryside! I spent some time in Ibiza when I was younger.

I'm sure you did as i recall reading it, unless it was someone else! I'm sure you documented the restaurant opening quite regularly though. I think the memory of your journey was the inspiration to get it written down.

That head is going to get murdered by the Spanish sun. :p

Hope it all goes well.

I wasn't *too* bad when we were there for 3 months. Obviously having a convertible means every day is a gamble though!

Soldato
OP
You can't do that here, if you are self employed you must have more than one client (companies try and use it to get around workers rights and employer contributions otherwise)
Just double check Spain doesn't have a similar setup, you don't want to get caught out.

This is similar here. Being self employed is complicated and expensive, and the tax and SVS (Social Security) contributions are pretty whopping, regardless of income.

Nice writeup and good luck with the rest of the plans!

Cheers, it certainly seems to be a valid option in Spain as long as the single company is a non Spanish entity. Otherwise the rules are the same and you can't have a single Spanish client. Fortunately she also has some freelance payroll work so would be safe either way i guess.

The benefit being the pensions in Spain seem to be pretty great compared to the UK and i'm fairly sure we can transfer the UK Pension contributions to the Spanish system so we hit the max level at retirement.

We've just come back from the area actually, halfway between La Xara and Denia. Jesus Pobre sort of way.

Lovely sleepy part of the world, close enough to towns to get what you need and then retreat. Beaches are all busy busy this time of year, more with locals than tourists we found which was nice.

Have spent a fair amount of time in Moraira over the last 20 years too, it's changed a lot and started to build up but it's still pretty reasonable. Was happy to see La Cucaracha was still there too :D

Jesus Pobre is lovely. It was our initial motivation for being a bit more inland with that Sunday market. Downsides are that you need closer to a mil i think for a decent house.

I love La Cucaracha :D

I am jealous. Me and the wife would love to relocate to somewhere warm.
I really must get on and sort out my Irish citizenship to make this a distant possibility one day.

Get it done. It's only around €300 for the application and then you have it for life. I sometimes wonder if they'll restrict it due to the number of people using it for this purpose only.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just my two pennies - I lived in Spain for two years before moving back to the UK. Although I lived in the Canaries where things are a bit different.

The downside to Spain is just how complicated and archaic everyday life things can be (like getting NIE or a bank account).

The one big bit of advice I would give is to get a good accountant - you do not, under any circumstances, want to fall foul of the Spanish tax authorities.

Haha already finding that out with my NIE. I tried for weeks to get my appointment, before giving up and using a company to get it for me. They managed within a day! I guess they know what time they're released! I've setup a bank with N26 which is an online bank like Starling/Monzo. However it seems it's not compatable with the Spanish system for paying self employed fees so i think i'll switch to OpenBank which is an online division of Santander.

To be fair, they do seem very archaic and it doesn't have a digital by default stance like the UK has, but the procedures are quite simple when you understand them. Just bureaucratic. You certainly need a printer if living in Spain or you'll be taking multiple trips to the print shop.

To top it off every autonomous region does things their own way, so unless the guide you are reading/following is for your region, don't be surprised if the process is a little different.

Another thing to be aware of is Spanish banks. Unless you have a digital account they can be a right rip off. There's also the fact the local tax authorities can take money out of your account if you owe them, same for utilities (though I believe they need some kind of order). The general rule is to keep your main cash in an account outside of Spain.

Yeah, as above, i've an account with N26 but will try and always will try and stick with online banks. My parents are with Caixa and they're always being blackmailed with "invest another €10k or we'll charge you money for your current account"

We found that with a printer. The whole drag with paying the tax for the NIE. The most bizarre thing was i went on a Monday but the bank don't accept cash on a Monday so i had to go back on the Tuesday. As you say, archaic but once you understand it then it's not as bad as it first appears.

Well yesterday i left the house and saw the "SOLD" sign up. So that's a nice thing to happen
tym1IFb.jpg

Then i drove to Cazoo to sell them my car, before going to pick up my van. I explored loads of options for getting to Spain, including 1 way van hire, buying a van, taking a car with a trailer or paying someone to transport our stuff.

The paying someone didn't make sense as we have a dog and i wouldn't want to send him with a company. He hated the journey when we did it with him in March and so being stuck in a crate would make me sad.
One way van hire would be great - Get a decent new reliable van, cost was only around £1300 for 5 days, but i'd have to get to Gatwick and back to Preston which takes up a day and additional cost. They also book up around 4 months in advance
The Car and Trailer sounded ok, but i have no experience of towing a trailer, and i wouldn't want to take my Mazda as it'd be hard to sell in Spain so would be buying something old and cheap and hoping to sell that (and the trailer)

As such, buying a van made sense. I don't know much about cars, and the used, cheap Van market can be a minefield. My wifes cousin runs a garage and had a Mercedes Vito. It was a 2015 model but with 520,000 miles on it! I "kind of" trust him, and he wasn't actively selling it and said if i ever made it back to the UK in it, he'd buy it back.

I'm afraid i've done a bit of a @moon man here and taken a screenshot of a picture on my phone for some reason!
YAHR8Zk.png

The issue is i'm now questioning if it's big enough. We're not taking much, and i'm sure it's deceptive but it's hard to judge. Luckily he said i could use it through his work insurance and then just pay him once i was sure it'd be ok. The main issue are the bikes, but if i get a bike rack for the rear door it might work as they're awkward items and not stackable.
I've asked a couple other people selling vans so will go look at those other the weekend.

Soldato
OP
If you are thinking of buying a van and selling it in Spain, beware that all vans are commercial vehicles in Spain, and any loading doors on the side must open on the right side IIRC.

Yeah, the Vito has side doors on both sides, but i'm not planning on matriculating it onto Spanish plates, just selling it as a UK vehicle to someone heading back to the UK. Already have someone interested.

Have you had a removal quote from Abels/similar - had used them on EU move where they put stuff directly in a big crate - which then gets shipped/stored/delivered at a future date
I don't know if they would deliver a crate to you (fork lift into drive?) to pack yourself to make it efficient/even cheaper.

I've had a few quotes, they're not too bad, but we need to get ourselves and the dog over, so doesn't make sense to pay for removes AND have a vehicle to take ourselves in. I'm debating using someone like that if we have stuff we can't fit in the van though.

Soldato
OP
Will have a good read of this thread at weekend. As someone who's keen on emigrating real world stories are a big help

Yeah, i always find them useful so hopefully it can be a help to some people, i'm finding the more i research the less i know! Plus it's a great way to keep a documenation for your own memories to read back through.

Spoke to my dad who used to work with someone who now lives in the Hondon Valley which is where we decided we wanted to be (where the house i posted in the OP is). Seems a good balance between inland, access to Alicante and cost. Funnily enough it seems he knows the couple who were agents for the above house. Wonder if he can get them to sabotage the sale :D
Have arranged to speak to him about the area which will be really useful.

Had thought i'd found somewhere to rent. It was advertised as Orihuela Pueblo which is a little inland, and right by the main A7 motorway for easy access up to my parents/down south if we want to go to Almeria for a bit. However after an enquiry it seems it's in Mil Palmeras which is coastal. Not that it'd be horrible to be on the cost, but it's likely going to be either very touristy during holidays/dead in winter.

Property seems great though, and 3 bedrooms means that we'd have a room to store our stuff in the 3rd bedroom rather than paying for storage. Annoying it's €850 a month, but the fee is 1 months rental. People thought tenants fees in the UK were bad!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You have no idea how jealous I am :D When I saw the first photo I thought you must have been staying at my mates place, it's just as you describe. (It's not, very similar but in another village) Photo below.

I'm still a little bit away from being able to make the move, but it will happen :) Good luck with the move, I'm sure it will all go great :)

Haha Yeah. Guess he's in Rafol/Benimeli?

We've actually just had a house in Rafol D'Almunia pop up on the market which looks decent, although it's on the crest of the hill between Rafol and Mont Pego by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Awesome, it's a superb area. I'm just note sure we get exactly what we want there given our revised requirements. Still open as an option if we see things pop up like that one, but nothing settled yet. I want a proper garage and a lot on the hillside just seem to have carports and then steps down into the property that we saw.

Soldato
OP
aye, that's quite common. The Orba valley is nice but so much of it is built on the side of a hill that garages aren't really a thing.

We're probably looking for something slightly closer to the coast. We both react fairly badly to the mossie bites so we'll probably avoid too far inland.

I actually wouldn't mind El Verger/Els Poblets. We've seen a couple of nice rentals in those areas. It doesn't give me the views i would ideally want, but being close to the beach would be really nice. Would just need to make sure i had a reasonable plot for a sense of space.

Great thread, love it! Enjoy life out there when it happens.

Cheers

So a bit of a cross post from the Images of Purchases thread, but i decided the van above was going to be too small. I measured the TV unit and it *just* fits in width ways. However i feel once we start loading it up, we might have to start making decisions to leave stuff and don't want to run the risk of buying a replacement last minute before i have confidence it'll make the journey. Benefits being it was MOT'd at the end of June so a lot of time left which will hopefully re-assure potential buyers in Spain.

As such i picked this up Saturday. It's a bit tattier because it's an ex trades van. However it's a bit longer/wider, but much taller in the back.

mvy6Qxk.png

Annoyingly, it drove fine on the test drive, and then i needed petrol on the way home and again it was perfect. However, yesterday i went to start it and it wouldn't turn over :rolleyes:. It felt like it got 95% of the way there, and was ok when i pressed the throttle. From a google it could be a dirty fuel filter and i don't think it's been as meticulously maintained as the Mercedes above, the oil is also pretty black. As such i've bought a service kit and will change all the filters/oil. Will also need some ramps/axle stands, but they'll come in handy for the Jeep :D

One down side of the ferry is that the dog needs to be muzzled at all times in communal areas. Just as with the goggles above, he's not a fan of the full Hannibal Lector look.

6hk6ciS.png

Soldato
OP
What is Spain like for building your own place?

I assume it is bureaucratic, and dealing with builders is no fun, even when you speak the same language ..

Yeah that's obviously a concern. My parents had a few issues when doing some building work due to useless architects causing delays and that's before anything else.

I've had a recommendation from someone who built their own house of an architect so have sent an email to try and get a rough feel. As long as they could recommend a builder who could project manage things then it's fine. I just have to accept the cost.

There's a big market for modular/prefab steel houses in Spain. So hopefully that minimises the pain.

Soldato
OP
I may follow this thread. I'd be interested to hear of what it's really like day to day. Like what happens if you need am emergency 8 core CPU on a Sunday night at 10pm? Do Spain have prime rain forest company deliver out in the sticks of Spain within a day? ;) But seriously, how "behind" are they compared to us with some things? What is food shopping like? Getting medication? Doctors? Council equivalents? Putting your bins out? Dealing with people when you don't speak Spanish? Tap water? Heating/air con costs? Mosquitos? Do they have golf courses? How do you watch Sky sports / TNT sports etc? What is the weather like all year round?

I've known 2 couples who moved out there, and both came back to UK in the end.

Haha lots that i can probably answer based on the 3 months i spent there earlier in the year.

Amazon is decent. Most stuff is next day or the day after. Certainly didn't feel i was limited and used them a lot

Food Shopping is ok - We actually enjoyed the process of going to the supermarket each week or going to markets for fruit/veg. Not sure whether that would continue forever! Most stores offer delivery and online shopping now though.
Medication is easy - Pharmacies have more authority for prescribing vs the UK. My parents haven't had any problems with it
Doctors - Again they're mainly "walk in" styles centres outside of the hospitals as far as i can gather. Mainly just you turn up and then have appointments for follow ups. Again i don't think it's decimated like the UK. Health System is really highly thought of
Councils - This is where bureaucracy is a nightmare. Everything is manual and with bizarre rules that even locals shrug at.
Bins - Varies by area. Communal bins are more common here so you just drop off rubbish/recycling at a local point. Usually plenty around either on roadsides or in housing estates. Where we stayed you had daily collections from your house for normal waste (recycling went to the communal bins)
Most people spoke an element of English - Where they didn't i mainly used DeepL which was excellent, although my Spanish is getting better
Tap Water - It's drinkable. Tastes a bit weird and most people use bottled water.
Utility Costs - From what i can gather they're similar to the UK. Water is more expensive,makes maintaining swimming pools expensive ~ €400 to refill
Mosquitos - Depends on area but generally i get bit a lot!
Golf Courses are abundant. Though you'll never see me at one
Sky Sports is easily accessible - Or you get a box showing sports channels through the same dodgy means as in the UK

Weather is generally ~10C warmer than the UK. With average winter temps around 15C and summer being 35C. Obviously it's drier which is the main driver for me.

I guess for whether it works it depends on the people and what they like. How much you engage in local communities, or whether they miss things from the UK and family/friends.

Soldato
OP
Mate, good luck with it! Don't forget to seek out and try the Rectoral de Amandi Matilda Nieves Mencia (2020 edition got a platinum at Decanter WWA). What I would call a "daytime" red, light and quaffable.

Awesome. Will check that out.

Have you had enough of the nice weather yet? :p

Sadly i'm still in Preston :(

Soldato
OP
Ok, so after a hectic few days we've found somewhere to live until we find something to buy. When we were looking it was really difficult to find something we liked. The place we rented for 3 months in March was great from a size/view point of view, but the decor was pretty old fashioned and as it was the underbuild of a house, the owners living above treated the space we rented as still "their house". It didn't annoy me as much as my wife, but just small things like having people round in the outdoor kitchen by the pool without mentioning it to us (we were on the ground floor by the pool) and walking through our entrance to the property and through our outdoor space when it was more convinient for them to do so.

So we decided we wanted something separate from the owners. Not bothered about sharing proper communal facilities, but just not on the site of the owners. The problem we found is that there were very few properties which appealed. The Spanish government has made it very difficult to evict people, so there are many cases of renting the house out, someone paying one months rent and then refusing to leave. So available options are fairly few, despite a pretty hefty budget of around €1200/mth
There are loads of smaller 1-2 bedroom places in apartment complexes for ~€500/mth, but we decided we were staying for an unknown amount of time, and especially being there over winter. It made sense to be comfortable.

We found these 2, effectively at the most northern point of our search (Els Poblets) and the very southern point of our search (San Juan de la Terreros)
Els Poblets - https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/90152945/
San Juan - https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/99006790/

Problem being they're a big drive from the place i ultimately want to live, after a bit of deliberation i ruled them both out and was ready to agree terms on this place. It's near Torrevieja which isn't where we'd ideally choose to be, but it's closer to the Hondon Valley which is the front runner for me in terms of a house. Price is probably similar to the above once you add on 1 months Agents Fees and utilities.

Plot twist. I was chatting to an estate agent who mentioned Airbnb and contacting some owners about a winter let, which led me to this place. Smack right where we want to be, 3 bedrooms, private pool, stunning outdoor space and views. Only problem is it shows as €1450+bills which feels a lot. They do also have a slightly smaller 2 bedroom unit on the same plot at €900/mth but without pool access.
Got in touch with the owner and exchanged a few texts and then they asked for a video chat on Saturday. They're private owners so i think try and do enough due diligence. Turns out the main house is usually rented out weekly or for weekends at a fairly hefty rate. However, they're recently had some problems which culminated in Friday night getting loads of complaints from neighbours as 1 guy rented the house, only for a pile of 18yr olds to turn up with a DJ and fireworks.

As such they said they'd rather have less stress and aim for long term lets who respect the place. This place will eventually be their home in a few years by the sound of it. We discussed price and came to the agreement that we could rent it at a reduced rate, however they would have use of one bedroom for 1 weekend a month for when they visit. This has it's own external access and so no entry to the main house.
Not the ideal scenario given my points at the start of this post, but they seem really nice and the house is a 90% match for what i want to buy, so to be able to experience what it's like to live in this kind of location/property is huge and might change my mind (although hopefully it'll confirm it)
There's also the issue that they need the house for 1 week in October for when they have people over to pick all the olives. Again this would have otherwise put me off as it's a huge hassle just after we've arrived/unpacked, but i'm convinced this is the right choice.

It's the main unit in this picture. The smaller building at the bottom is the other rental they have, and the one at the top is another plot i think
OVcLzmk.png

In other news, changed the fuel filter on the Van, and it now starts much better. Have a jack/axle stands arriving today to allow me to change the oil.

Also need to stop buying stuff. In the last week, i've bought
Shark Cordless Hoover
Shark Hairdryer
Ninja Woodfire AirFryer
Trolley Jack/Axle Stands
Ryobi Cordless Pressure Washer

I wasn't aiming to do so due to plug issues, but Shark stuff is a lot more expensive in Spain and the above were all fairly decent deals. The Ryobi pressure washer was also a decent price compared to what i could get in Spain. I'm also looking at a squat cage. The used market here means that some stuff is really cheap and it makes sense in advance of getting there!

Soldato
OP
Whoop Magnolia approval. Just what i've always wanted!

6 weeks to go now. I imagine time is going to fly by as we try and get everything sorted and fit in seeing people before we leave.

The Van is working beautifully, after all my messing changing the oil/filters, it turns out it was the damn battery causing most of the problems. Swapped that over and it starts straight away now. Also dropped it off at the local mechanic yesterday for him to do the rest of the service and check over all the brakes/suspension etc, and everything is now looking good. Still need to clean the back out a bit.

In my annoying habit of accumulating stuff that we don't need to take. I gave away my weight bench and adjustable squat rack to my eldest stepson, my wife was pleased about this space/weight saving, until i "popped out for a bit" the other night, and then yesterday unloaded a full size 7' squat cage and adjustable bench i'd found cheap on Facebook Marketplace. It's dismantled and stores fairly flat so i'm hoping should be ok. The bench is battered and was free and needs reconditioning, so worst case i'll leave that at the tip before we go.

Tomorrow sees her middle child move out. He came back home last year as his landlord was selling up and his mates moved in with partners, so he took the chance to save up for a few months and tomorrow moves into his own flat. Fortunately it's unfurnished which clears up the answer to "what we doing with this furniture"

The main issue is the Sofa. We only bought it around 2 years ago and it's in decent condition and fairly expensive when new. A sofa guy who came to do a repair on a stain recently said it's worth >£500 but i don't see us getting that and time is a factor. Think i'm just going to stick it on Ebay on the next 80% selling fee deal and hope for the best. Worst case it sells for a pittance, best case it sells at a decent value. We did have it as a set with a small loveseat thing, but my mother in law has decided she wants that.

Back
Top Bottom