Relocation to Spain Experience

Soldato
OP
I read your post feeling pretty stressed, ended up grinning ear to ear.

Well done and hope you enjoy your new life! :cool: :)

Awesome stuff, glad i can give someone good feelings instead of jealousy :p

No Amazon and no booze at the local supermarket? Pfft. That's what you get for turning your back on blighty!

Oh there's booze, just not to my standards! I just need to find a better Bodega to stock up on. We went quite blessed where we were back in March.

I still can't wait to get a tour booked here, it's ~2km away

Soldato
OP
Another step done, we've registered on the local Empadriemento, which is similar to the voting register/polling in the UK so they know who lives in the area.

Have sent off some forms for the wifes residency so will see how we get on with that.

Came close to running out of petrol on the way home (3 hours on a motorway in a Jeep Wrangler isn't pleasant!), but found a petrol station.

Still on a make shift desk, but got an offcut from my dad which i can use with my standing desk legs. Am hoping to book some time off before the temperature drops too much, possibly the week after next.

More importantly, i also found booze. Found my favourite rum (Diplomatico Exclusiva) for €34 so i'm happy :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If there's a decent size Consum supermarket nearby, they may stock Mahou IPA... The one near me does.

Yeah. Iyes pretty much my go-to. Along with their 0% stuff.

Would still like to get my hands on some decent stuff though at a reasonable location.

Soldato
OP
There does seem to be a bit of a craft beer scene growing in Spain over the last few years although it's much more niche than in the UK..

This opened recently but I don't think it's near you

Might be worth joining some expat local facebook groups if there are any and asking around... Very useful for other local knowledge too.

Yeah we’re in both. I think it’s generally the much smaller local get together where they just pull out tables and beer and chat. Maybe just need to make friends with people for invites.

Mojacar is around 4hrs south. We actually looked around there but not familiar enough with that whole area so felt higher risk.

I think there’s a bar in Elche which is only 20 mins away. I might engineer a visit. Theres also Althaeia in Altea around an hour away.

Also apparently “New Rum Wednesday” isn’t a new thing and not a reason to drink.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Just a thought but maybe if there is a real shortage, try getting a group going to see if there is interest.
You could easily organise a group buy if there is local demand.

Hell it may even be a small business opportunity! (reserving my idea commission now ;) free holiday will be fine ;) )

My wife has actually suggested similar, it's very difficult to get hold of a lot of Non Spanish alcohol, some supermarkets stock the odd thing like Guiness (possibly even Punk IPA), but nothing craft wise. There are a few Spanish breweries, mainly based up near Barcelona so i might check for an online presence.

However the same for wines, trying to get something Italian for example is very tricky, all supermarkets and Bodegas tend to stock Spanish wine only. I got luckily yesterday with the Bodega having a decent Rum selection and even a reasonable Whisky selection (albeit mostly Islay ones and nothing Speyside based :()

She suggested i try and setup a small business from home, however i'm not sure i could be trusted to not drink my stock! I believe shipping is also expensive here. Perhaps something to look into when i have more spare time. I guess the main demographic here are either retired Expats who are unlikely to want it, or locals who are happy drinking their cold refreshing lagers out in the sun.

For now though i'm gonna check out the Spanish craft breweries and look to order online i think. It's just a shame that you're then up to the €6/7 per can mark for the really good stuff like https://basquebeer.com/en/, whereas it's be great to have that midrange level you can get in Supermarkets for £3-£4, like Northern Monk, not quite at the best stuff they do, but made to a medium price point.

Soldato
OP
Lidl / Aldi - Run promotions periodically where they stock English beers and always have a selection of IPAs etc.
Consum / Condis - Always have a few UK speciality beers in rotation and usually stock craft beers as well.

Cheers, i'll sign up for their newsletters and grab them as they pop up. I guess i'm more aiming for the higher end craft stuff generally. Otherwise Mahou IPA is good enough for an everyday beer.

Soldato
OP
So, we spent the weekend driving around a lot. I've worked out i picked up the Jeep last Saturday and have spent €270 in petrol so far....

Including this map for reference so people can see where i'm talking about. Blue dot where i'm currently staying.

yxULFRV.png

Saturday we drove up to a place called Sax. Someone had recommended it because it's right on a motorway which then makes accessing other places much better. Our current place is ~20 mins from the motorway. We drove through Sax on the journey down when it was pitch black and the castle is lit up which looks stunning

GxaBYBG.png

Sadly the town itself was a massive let down. Just seemed a sprawling centre which not much of anything and not really any visual appeal. A shame as property was dirt cheap. I was eyeing up a massive 6 bedroom house, however this is now ruled out

hu2RJHH.png

We then headed to a place called Monovar. This place was better, a bigger town than we'd expected but had some super architecture. Really unusual old buildings you don't often get in Spanish towns. The bars/restaurants all seemed decent too. So this gets to stay on our list. No property options just yet though.

After that we headed the other side of the mountains towards the beach. These were always long shots as it hits a massive flat plain between Alicante and Murcia. Property again gets a little cheaper here in towns of Crevillente and Albatera. Driving through the towns they were "ok", however just never really got a good feel for them. If we saw a super special house we might consider it as a compromise, but it's not thrilling us given other options. Again the benefits are proximity to the beach and being right on an "N" road which is like a big A road in the UK.

I'd also been badgering my wife about a house near to where we're staying. This place was the front runner for me. It had everything i wanted, a decent sized house, big pool, decent plot of land and a separate casita for guests
J1Bk1ei.png

We worked out where it was via the photos and google and went for a nosey from the outside, the woman clocked us (was obviously we were looking as there's not much else about!). Then waved us over and gave us a tour. It was a great place, but the bedrooms were all slightly too small and the cost to change that would be stupid. Given it's fairly top end of our budget we've moved it to the back burner.

Sunday we headed North of Alicante slightly closer to my parents. There's a place we've never heard of called Busot which kept coming up on house searches. We started off at a place called Agost which was pretty small, it wasn't spectacular by any stretch but was perfectly fine if we found a house we liked.

We then drove north east towards Tibi. This place was a classic Spanish mountain town, i scared my wife on some narrow ass streets. The place was ok, but there are no houses on the outskirts. We passed through towards Jijona which has a fair few houses on the outskirts. This place was off the scale scary for my wife, really narrow streets and some massively steep bits which felt around 30degree descents. Again the Jeep was spectacular (i'm ignoring the fact other regular cars obviously use this road)
We explored some of the outskirts and the houses dotted around. I think it would depend a lot on the location. The town was again "fine" without being special, but the centre was very steep and i think the wife would struggle walking around it.

We finally hit Busot. This place was next level. A tiny little place with one of the nicest little centres we'd seem, everything superbly maintained and even a mural combining most of my favourite things! (Ignore the randoms in the centre, i stole the image from Google)

rQ0zW4k.png

We had lunch and looked at each other as if we knew we'd found our future home. Pulled up our Idealista account of houses and checked through them. Sadly it then dawned on us that they were all on residential estates and mainly lacked and views of feeling of open ness. We live in home that we can find something that fits the bill. The main benefit of Busot is that it's <1hr to my parents and only 15 minutes from the beaches despite being in the middle of the mountains and you'd never know it.

The owners turned up Saturday night with another family for their weekly holiday for picking the olives. I didn't join in as we were out, but they only made it through 1/3 yesterday so may get a chance to join them this week. They're a nice family and really respectful of the fact we're here. They had agreed not to use the pool, but we said they could use it, which the kids were very thankful for and jumped straight in! It felt really hard on 13yr old kids to have a massive pool and yet be unable to use it!

I'm making the most of work not being too busy and enjoying the place a little today and obviously writing this post. Also got out for a run and reminded myself that this is much better than running around the roads of Preston :D
v5kq20T.png

Tomorrow we go to see a house that's in the process of being built and meet the developer so will see what happens there.

Soldato
OP
temperature is now crashing in the UK - you need a, you may find this upsetting warning, on your photos

Do you have to get a full structural survey on houses -
fairly scandalous but about 15 years ago south of France, large drought where their was subsidence on quite a few villas with inadequate foundations,
requiring some partially state aided repairs of additional drilled foundations - one of villa designs, and small building firms don't necessarily deliver good practices.

No, i think it's optional but a lot of solicitors try and talk you out of it. Our agent seems decent on that kind of thing, we've sent him a few houses that he's immediately shot down due to issues he's aware of and advised he was approached to list it but refused. The benefit being that by using him as our agent, he is purely on our side as he's not the person actually selling the house. They just tend to split the fee from the sellers.

I think it's also where having a really good Gestor/Lawyer is key, there's so many issues that could be caused if something is missed. Same with buying a car. If someone has 20 speeding fines before selling a car, then as the new owner you become liable for them. Loads of other crazy things like that too. Houses being key if there are big outstanding tax/utility bills, no holding up a piece of paper saying you only bought on X data and that's from before. It all transfers with the property.

The agent also mentioned that our "dream house" we loved had no/little foundations like you mention and so would never have been mortgageable, so that's made us feel better. It's definitely something we need to be aware of, also have found since the current owners are here that the walls in this particular house are very thin. You can head a lot through walls (nothing sexual yet!) but things like a coffee machine buzzing and general moving around. Given my wife goes to bed early it's something we need to try and test when viewing.

Soldato
OP
Got to meet the developer today. The house was literally just a shell at the moment so hard to really visualise. Things always look smaller when they're like that. The developer has a big plot of 22,000m2 that he's split into two. Is building one house and then moving onto the second rather than jumping between the two.

Impressions were good, the views were stunning and would never be spoilt. There were a few downsides. It had a kitchen/lounge, and we can't decide if we like that or if we'd prefer separate. His idea is to have everything flowing though with outside tiles being the same as indoor tiles and having bifold doors to really keep inside/outside as one with a good covered area leading through the doors.

It's not connected to mains electric. So he's specced up a 9kw solar array with battery storage priced at €25k, we could connect to the mains for possibly €20k but i like the idea of solar. We could also add a small windmill which could generate 1-2kw. He spent a few years in the US working for solar companies and so is passionate about being self supported and eco friendly. It's a little nervy being that reliant on the sun, but if there's a country to use it, then it's Spain!

He's also including landscaping the remainder of the plot and planting almond/olive trees. He said he knows a local farmer who would harvest and based on that plot would bring in up to €5k/yr. The second plot would also be available if we wanted. He said he's waiting to relocate to Madrid so the idea of just selling the plot is there. I would love to and if we planted more trees then the yield could be ~10% and we could potentially also add some holiday rentals.

I also chatted about the cost to add a double garage as that'd be important to me, and he's going to price up a few options as a prefab structure would likely be best value. The only real negative was the master bedroom. It was probably around 3x5m but would've been nice to be a little bigger. He's going to let us know a price to move the external wall out a bit. If we could make it 5x5 it'd be perfect.

This is the sales advert for the one we'd be interested in. Price is complete including flooring/pool/bathrooms/kitchen. Just excluding appliances and anything we decide to add/change.

Got 4 more viewings tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
In regards solar and Spain. I would get a simple diesel genny added as well if off grid.
Your right its going to be pretty self sufficient but even in Spain they get dodgy weather spells.

Something like a 6kw type range, won't be that big and should your batteries start to get low your can charge them up.
Ideally you would want it built in so that it cannot just be made to disappear ;)

Something like this would be all you needed

Good shout, that does indeed look like a handy backup.

Been doing some sums, and with the reduced 60% LTV it limits us a little due to the adjustments we would want. Some could easily wait (like the garage) although it would be best to do initially so it's all officially documented. On the plus side, the mortgage broker i spoke to hinted that due to my employment situation, i may be classed as Fiscally Spanish Tax Resident once i have 3 months payslips which pushes us up to the 70% Rustic property mortgage. That would be ideal and would let me offer a decent upfront payment for the second plot of land :D

Potentially a risk though as i'd be throwing a €100k downpayment on a house on the basis that they would approve the mortgage at some point in the future. Would need some kind of assurance on that!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you get to speak to owners of other houses from this developer as a reference ?

Is the single storey layout largely a planning permission requirement, agree that if the land cost/area permits can create a nicer place, maybe lower cost -
thermal losses are less of an issue, for minimising external surfaces too;
roof is not tiled then, still maintenance free ?

Yeah, i probably could do. There are rules whether max height is 7m, so there are a lot of 2 story houses around, however as you have to buy a 10,000m2 plot and build on 2% it gives the option for a 200m2 house which is plenty big enough for most people and is likely a simpler build.
Insulation they're getting better at, already today it felt a little chilly in the house when it dropped to 10C over night. They're trying to get much more efficient to keep houses cool in the summer and yet retain heat in winter. The developer was showing me the breeze blocks they use now which have built in insulation and weigh virtually nothing.

I'm unsure of roof maintenance, i think flat roofs are getting more common but have some slight run off built in, they're heavy on insulation again and probably more "engineered" vs the older tiled rooves.

Anyone else just checking in here periodically waiting for him to realise that the sun is horrible and that he should come back and be miserable with the rest of us :p

Sadly, no sign of that here. The real nice side is that on Thursday it rained around 10pm and was windy as hell. Friday morning i was on the phone to a mate in the covered Naya and sent him photos of the 3 directions i could see. It's nice that you know when it rains it'll clear up quickly and it's not just set in for the week like in the UK. We have pondered whether we'd get sick of the sun, but when the views are like this it's hard to imagine you getting tired of them.

Left
hibFUMd.png

Centre
hibFUMd.png

Right
Gj9tbdw.png

Was still windy as hell when i attempted my first bike ride in ages on the Friday though :( Made some bits really tough.

I had last Thursday/Friday off work. On the Wednesday we had the 4 viewings i mentioned above. 1 was an immediate no, the second i loved, the 3rd i liked but the wife didn't and the 4th i've no idea why i'd picked it for a viewing as was god damn awful!

This was the one i loved. A real odd one in that the previous owners had taken a house and split it into 2 mirror images (bar some small adjustments) as it was 2 couples buying together. The pool area was nice and the floor area was good.

We went back on Friday with a builder to discuss knocking down the central wall between the 2 lounge areas and having a big kitchen/living area with sliding/bifold doors. The theory being we have one side of the house and the other would be for guests/my home gym/cinema room. However discussions seemed to suggest they weren't open to offers and would prefer to maybe do the work themselves and then sell. Will see what the builder comes back with.

We got a quote from the Tuesday builder of €15k to move that bedroom wall out. It feels high and i don't think it's worth it, my wife also wouldn't want the house without it, so i think it's off the table. We did love the idea of the new build though and the estate agent took us on Thursday to a finished house from another developer. This place was stunning, has split air hot/cold, pellet burner which he said heated most of the house and also a full solar array and solar heated pool.

The base price of the house (exc extras) was €250k plus the land plot. These vary from around 30k to 100k depending on area. The only negative was the build time of >12 months. I think we're probably likely to go down this route though. My wife being very specific with what she wants decor wise means adding a huge amount to any other purchase, either immediately or down the line.

The upside is this developer has a link to the Sabadell bank to unlock a 70% mortgage on a rustic property which isn't usually available to us dirty immigrants.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not gonna lie, I have too much love for the UKs rolling hills and greenery. I find places like that too barren and dry for my tastes. I do understand I am in the minority here however :p

I was out yesterday it it was about 10-14 degrees, perfect sunshine and it was just immaculate. The sort of ride that makes you glad to be alive and in a lovely part of the world.

Yeah, the rolling hills i'll miss, however there is still a lot of greenery here (kind of), and then in some months you get almond blossom on trees which is a great sight.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
OP
Santa Pola is where I lived for four months in 1979, working albeit illegally. On a dredger.

We actually headed over that way at the weekend. There was a house between Elche and Santa Pola. Seems a decent area, still lots of space around the houses and close to the beach. Limit being that it's miles from mountains and just a flat plateau.

Soldato
OP
It was a small town back then, the people were friendly and the drinks were incredibly cheap. Four years after Franco death and there was much talk of politics and life outside Spain. I had a task translating Pink Floyd lyrics for a group of girls ;). Still a very conservative society though.

I drove a three litre Capri at the time whereas most local cars were small Citroëns or Seats with the occasional Mercedes.

Yeah, i get all the cool looks in my 4litre Wrangler.

It's amusing how they clearly appeal to beach folk. I don't see any inland, but Moraira where my parents live are flooded!

Soldato
OP
€2.99. Only because I assume it was fantastically cheap or you wouldn't be taunting us with your excessively cheap plonk! :p

Cutting the competition short because i'm bored, but @Maccy could've had 5 bottles and @fez a decent amount of change after 3 bottles.

It was a whopping 79cents. i don't really know how you even bottle it and have any margin on that! I'm not saying it was nice, or that i'd buy it for a treat, but it was perfectly drinkable and would be fine to palm off on people.

Soldato
OP
Forgot to mention but we've heard a few gunshots recently. We got used to this when we were here in May and presume it's the farmers with some old shotguns, however when out for a run on Sunday i was coming down from the mountains to a guy with some kind of full assault rifle.
I'm not a gun expert by any stretch, but it had a scope on the top and looked more assault rifle like that anything else. I assume you get hunters around for the wolves/wild boar, but never expected this!

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you are getting good advice..

Yeah, the estate agent couple have been great. He actually took a property law degree when starting up and so knows a lot on the legal side too. He said he got AI to quiz him and got 9/10, then disagreed with the answer of his wrong one and AI acknowledged he was right. He took great pride in that!
The developer we're looking to use also used to be a fully fledged property lawyer and has decent contacts with local town halls etc. So we feel in pretty safe hands.

@jpaul - Yeah, there's wild boar around in the mountains, a few reports of them getting through wire fences. Apparently they especially like Almond trees.

In good news. The van is now sold :D Considerably less than i'd have liked and less than i probably could've got for it, but it could've taken months and it was costing ~£60/mth in Tax and Insurance so it just felt best to cut my losses and sold it to a dealer who trades in UK cars/vans.

Overall summary
Paid
2200​
Insurance - 2mths
116​
Tax - 3mths
84​
Battery
80​
Service
72​
Injector Seals
264​
Insurance Cancellation Fee
50​
Sold
-1200​
Total Cost
1666​

Compared to a removal firm it's a hell of a saving and works out similar to what a One Way Van Hire place would've cost for 5 days rental. Risk there being someone on the way over had used one and it'd been rescheduled a few times because of late returns so i think it was definitely the correct choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom