Relocation to Spain Experience

Soldato
OP
Well done on the TV repair :D

I presume the pool house/gym is a candidate for Air-Con with all the glass? or get some of that mirror type film perhaps?

I think I would be in the pool every evening after work if I had one at my place!

Yeah, probably would be, but given this is rental i have no intention on installing anything! It has ceiling fans!

I though the panoramic glass in the picture was the living space , if it's pool house, then place is palatial;

Oh yeah, the pictures from the Images thread is just the pool house, which is a long narrow building, probably 12m x 4m. It has the glass curtains on one side which can be opened entirely.

My wife (and her family) are all like this.

Air conditioning makes you ill
Leaving a window open makes you ill
Having a fan on makes you ill

Slovakia regularly gets temperatures in the mid to high 30s in the summer, but if we go anywhere in the car the windows are up (incase the breeze gives you an ear infection) and the air con is off (incase you get an unspecified respiratory illness)

I'm lucky, my wife doesn't sleep well so she's constantly adjusting the A/C during the night. I'm definitely aclimatising though. Was 25C yesterday and i was out in a fairly thick Rab mid-layer.

That car journey sounds awful. The A/C in the Kia is a bit ropey and never feels too cold, so i actually like windows down, although my wife isn't a fan. Sucks to be her when i get my Jeep back :D

Soldato
Wife refuses to use the Air Con in her car, even in sweltering heat! "Wastes too much fuel" etc. In the 5-6 years she had her last car, i never saw it once on. Windows down, blasting cold air, is still hot, but refuses to use the air con; like wtaf?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wife refuses to use the Air Con in her car, even in sweltering heat! "Wastes too much fuel" etc. In the 5-6 years she had her last car, i never saw it once on. Windows down, blasting cold air, is still hot, but refuses to use the air con; like wtaf?

You might want to tell her that having the windows down isn't good for fuel economy either. Really she should just sit in the car sweating with the windows up and air con off.

Soldato
OP
I'm out your way next week to look at places. Staying in Pego and have appointments lined up between Denia and Oliva :)

Awesome. I quite liked Pego. The cycling up over the hill towards Sagra is lovely. El Verger/Els Poblets would probably be my picks (assuming you want coastal). Prices seem reasonable, and some lovely bars whilst easily getting to Denia/Ondara etc.

This place did some cracking food :)

dod

dod

Soldato
Awesome. I quite liked Pego. The cycling up over the hill towards Sagra is lovely. El Verger/Els Poblets would probably be my picks (assuming you want coastal). Prices seem reasonable, and some lovely bars whilst easily getting to Denia/Ondara etc.

This place did some cracking food :)
that sounds/looks familiar, I think we might have been there before the lockdown. There's an Indian restaurant close to there as well I think

Edit: one to see in El Verger, one in Ondara, Oliva, Gandia, Denia, etc etc

Edit 2. What's really been interesting has been emailing in Spanish. It's like someone's flicked a switch at the other end and all of a sudden they become super helpful.

Last edited:
Soldato
When are they breaking (hard) ground - is that in full summer ?

( good exchange rate for you at the moment, but I haven't studied what the market thinks about labour vs tory win. )

Soldato
OP
When are they breaking (hard) ground - is that in full summer ?

( good exchange rate for you at the moment, but I haven't studied what the market thinks about labour vs tory win. )

*shrug*

Waiting on planning still.

It's going to be a tricky one. I can't imagine anyone wants to be pouring concrete in 40C heat. It's already getting to low 30's during the day and we're not in peak summer yet. Did try and speak to the developer yesterday about whether we could start digging out foundations/leveling the land so that as soon as it's approved then we can get the concrete done straight away in better temps. However since it's still classed as agricultural, we could be fined for doing lots of prep work before actual planning is approved.

Yeah just moved over the last 40k from my ISA and got 1.176 which is about as high as i've seen. That's pretty much everything in Euros now apart from my wifes salary each month to be transferred so don't need to be worried. It's weird not checking on investments too. A shame really as i imagine now that interest rates will start to drop the share prices should rise a bit. Although i think the recent jump in GBP/EUR is driven by the EU Bank dropping rates. Should help for a mortgage though!

Soldato
OP
Finally got my residency yesterday. Standard baffling experience. Had an appointment for 5:30, got there just before to find loads of people milling about on the pavement outside with wads of paper like i had. There was an entrance in the gate with a rope across.

Stood around wondering if someone would come out and call names (this has happened elsewhere), then some guy seemed to get fed up waiting and tried to climb under the rope. At which point the police came over and shouted at him a while and pushed him back. I was close to following him, but was conviniently stood at the entrance at this point and explained i had an appointment and got waved through. The guy who got shouted at was eventually let in around 30 minutes later.

Process itself was fairly easy, although what's amusing is that i got a paper form whilst they print the proper ID card, but i just have to monitor a facebook page where they announce which batch of ID cards are ready for collection!

Soldato
Did you get your wrangler fixed up ?

summertime wildlife Do you have the background orchestra of cicada's - uk dawn chorus not the same , little lizards in france are cool too.

Soldato
OP
Did you get your wrangler fixed up ?

summertime wildlife Do you have the background orchestra of cicada's - uk dawn chorus not the same , little lizards in france are cool too.

Still in the garage, i'm being told "less than a month". Did find a bargain of a soft top roof for it though which is currently under the carport.

Not really much in the way of bbackground noise really. We have some swallows nesting behind an AC unit, and there's a constant barking of dogs to contend with though!

Back
Top Bottom