Relocation to Spain Experience

No, nothing near me, although to be honest i don't really follow Pro Cycling. It bores me!

There is a Tour de Valencia which hovers around us. Stage 3 opens up around my usual area (Agost, Novelda, Aspe)

And people think health and safety is taking over the world..... On Saturday was the local festival of Correfoc. Seems to be some festival to banish any bad spirits. The actual even just is an excuse for a load of fire.

Here's a video from last years event. Absolutely no ***** given. Consists of a parade of people on a little car thing spraying welding sparks into the audience
They have these, of various sizes, in Barcelona about 5-6 times a year. I first went to one in 2015, and like you was quite shocked at their brazen disregard for any sort of safety! In general I find there is a very carefree attitude to fireworks safery in Spain, but the correcocs is something else.
This is the largest one in Barcelona, last year, coming up again in about a month (24th September if anyone is visiting Barcelona):

The guys actually holding the spinning sticks shooting sparks are wearing fire retardant clothing of some sort. The crowd are not!
My first year I went in shorts and my favourite t-shirt. Came home with holes and scorch marks in the t-shirt and a few light burns/scorches/singed hairs on my legs and arms :D Subsequent times i've gone wearing a thick hoodie and jeans and consuming less alchohol!

rp2000

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom