Rent increase question

Soldato
This is the main reason the Scottish Government put in Rent Controls for private tenancy. Limiting it to 3% each year to stop landlords from raising it so much at a time of CoL crisis

Due to end in March 2024 mind unless they extend it.
Haven't rents in Scotland risen faster than the rest of the UK since they brought in the rent controls? Was under the impression it had been very counter productive...

Man of Honour
Haven't rents in Scotland risen faster than the rest of the UK since they brought in the rent controls? Was under the impression it had been very counter productive...
Apparently so and it's due to the loophole of as soon as one person moves out of a house share it's a new contract and they can then bump it up as much as they like. According to an article on the beeb yesterday.

Soldato

The reports I have read are dated between 2020 and 2021, before the rent controls came in (see bit below about loophole). This was the main reason the SG brought them in.

Apparently so and it's due to the loophole of as soon as one person moves out of a house share it's a new contract and they can then bump it up as much as they like. According to an article on the beeb yesterday.

Yeah I read this yesterday. Unscrupulous landlords exploiting loopholes unfortunately. That doesnt detract from the fact the SG have tried to help people out by putting Rent Controls in place... In the OPs case, this would limit it to roughy a £100 increase rather than £400/month increase.

Of course, as I mentioned, its due to end in March next year so we'll see what happens.

Caporegime
Can't really offer any helpful advice.

Only time I've had a rent increase was in the very last property.
Was coming up to buying house and landlord wouldn't let us go onto rolling.

He/she wanted to increase rent and sign 6 months.

I just dragged my heals to the point that I was prepared to be evicted. I made up all. Sorts of excuses. But fortunately exchange happened before it got nasty.
(FYI, I was happy to pay more on rolling, just didn't want a contract)
This place was a right dive at 550 but it did indeed go up and got snapped up quickly.
This was 2020 as covid kicked off

Not sure what "checks" are available now. But I don't recall any landlord using references from any history. But not sure if there's some background check they do I'm not aware of.

If you want to move out anyway like you say, now is a good time.
Unfortunately the increase is probably justified.

Soldato
Your options are

1 leave and find somewhere else
2 take the rent increase from December, as offered
3 negotiate a revised offer
4 await the inevitable eviction proceedings if you won't do 2 or 3.

If you've been a decent tenant, the landlord is likely to be open to negotiate a different rate with you. It avoids a fallow month, costs and readvertising.

Speaking as a provincial yokel, that rent is bonkers!

Caporegime
Your options are

1 leave and find somewhere else
2 take the rent increase from December, as offered
3 negotiate a revised offer
4 await the inevitable eviction proceedings if you won't do 2 or 3.

If you've been a decent tenant, the landlord is likely to be open to negotiate a different rate with you. It avoids a fallow month, costs and readvertising.

Speaking as a provincial yokel, that rent is bonkers!

Some are reasonable. Some aren't. Landlord quality really is a lottery. I've had one amazing landlord (rented out thier previous lived in property.. The entire flat was amazing) and others where mould grows and nothing is done. That was vile.

And yeah. That rent is crazy to me too. I know it's London. But I mean.. Wow. The new rent is 2x.my newish mortgage

Last edited:
The case yesterday was a loophole in that when its a shared let a new contract is formed when one person moves out and another moves in.
So at that point its a new contract and not an increase to the existing one.

This whole mess is a result of the not building enough. Private landlords are fine for some circumstances, but people in long term lets really shouldnt operate this way.

Airbnb hasn't helped. I know a couple of people who now stopped letting to individuals on long term lets and now turned the properties into airbnb. They are occupied less, people expect less (in regards rights) and they make at least as much money.
The only hastle was the cleaning etc between guests. Once that was setup and functioning they have been far happier.

Soldato
I love London, but gosh I wouldn’t want to live there now! If you like the flat and location I think you’ll have to suck this one up as there’ll likely be a queue of potential tenants waiting for you to leave.

Soldato
If you want to move out anyway like you say, now is a good time.
Unfortunately the increase is probably justified.

No, the increase is not justified. The same as how property prices now being many multiples of average salary are not justified. The whole of the UK property market is the bankers living off people that do proper jobs, i.e. of some worth to society, and this is being enabled by unchecked money printing by the Bank of England, a privately held central bank, and this in reality is a scam, as is inflation. It could also be accurately described as theft.

Caporegime
No, the increase is not justified. The same as how property prices now being many multiples of average salary are not justified. The whole of the UK property market is the bankers living off people that do proper jobs, i.e. of some worth to society, and this is being enabled by unchecked money printing by the Bank of England, a privately held central bank, and this in reality is a scam, as is inflation. It could also be accurately described as theft.

By justified, I mean due to market conditions.
Our successive terrible governments have made it so.

Soldato
The whole reason for ridiculous property prices comes back to what the UK population accepts, or has to put up with as money. The fact is that money can be issued at will by the central bank, because what we accept as money is actually central bank debt notes. If we only accepted gold as money, then the rampant asset price inflation in the housing market would not be possible. It is to do with the amount of "proper honest work" that money represents. Gold has to be mined from the ground, and it represents proper honest work. No one can game this system, money represents proper honest work. Paper money however, can be issued by the bankers, allowing them to print as much of it as they like, introducing rampant asset price inflation into the system (as everyone needs to live somewhere, so they will always have to pay for somewhere to live).

It is to do with the time value (in honest productive work) that money represents, and whether one group in society can game the system.

To solve these problems, the UK population needs to question what the money they use actually represents. Bringing back a gold standard would solve these problems. A modern alternative would be a Bitcoin standard. Whatever, some sort of standard for money is needed, otherwise we have those that can issue money at will gaming the system and producing massive inequality (what we are getting today).

Last edited:
Soldato
The clouds are up there ^

Caporegime
The whole reason for ridiculous property prices comes back to what the UK population accepts, or has to put up with as money. The fact is that money can be issued at will by the central bank, because what we accept as money is actually central bank debt notes. If we only accepted gold as money, then the rampant asset price inflation in the housing market would not be possible. It is to do with the amount of "proper honest work" that money represents. Gold has to be mined from the ground, and it represents proper honest work. No one can game this system, money represents proper honest work. Paper money however, can be issued by the bankers, allowing them to print as much of it as they like, introducing rampant asset price inflation into the system (as everyone needs to live somewhere, so they will always have to pay for somewhere to live).

It is to do with the time value (in honest productive work) that money represents, and whether one group in society can game the system.

To solve these problems, the UK population needs to question what the money they use actually represents. Bringing back a gold standard would solve these problems. A modern alternative would be a Bitcoin standard. Whatever, some sort of standard for money is needed, otherwise we have those that can issue money at will gaming the system and producing massive inequality (what we are getting today).

I was waiting for bitcoin to come up!

Soldato
I was waiting for bitcoin to come up!

Well, my point is that there is no "standard" for money, it does not represent "proper value". This is what is causing all these problems for the less well off. The last thing that those in power want is a "standard" for money, because being able to issue money for themselves is what allows them to cream off funds from the rest of the population (working outside the banking sector). Meanwhile we have:

- People like the OP being asked for £400 a month rent increases.
- 20+ people going for viewings on rental properties, i.e. little supply.
- Real inflation probably running at 10%+
- A lot of people in the country having to rely on food banks, they can't even afford food!

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread anymore and I hope my comments previously to the OP have been helpful. The problem is this kind of thing can set me off, and it is all caused by a fundamental flaw in money. The reason I highlight it is because I believe this is the cause of all these problems, and more people need to understand.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, my point is that there is no "standard" for money, it does not represent "proper value". This is what is causing all these problems for the less well off. The last thing that those in power want is a "standard" for money, because being able to issue money for themselves is what allows them to cream off funds from the rest of the population (working outside the banking sector). Meanwhile we have:

- People like the OP being asked for £400 a month rent increases.
- 20+ people going for viewings on rental properties, i.e. little supply.
- Real inflation probably running at 10%+
- A lot of people in the country having to rely on food banks, they can't even afford food!

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread anymore and I hope my comments previously to the OP have been helpful. The problem is this kind of thing can set me off, and it is all caused by a fundamental flaw in money. The reason I highlight it is because I believe this is the cause of all these problems, and more people need to understand.
You ever heard of a silver bullet? This isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom