** Resident Evil 4 Remake Thread **

Associate
If it is a remake, why do they need the source code of the original? Should be made from scratch I would imagine?

I still hold a small hope they do it eventually. I certainly would much rather Code Veronica remake than a RE5 remake which does not need a remake in my opinion.

What I would like at this point is a Code Veronica remake followed by a remake of the original, or should I say a remake of the original remake on a brand new engine with graphics set to 11 :D
It is the excuse most use as to why never made a new one like silent hill just gone straight to a 2 remake not the start with 1. They like to upgrade from source code as a base then remake everything that way one part at a time. TBH I think with the silent hill the mist system just covered lack of horizon distance but in this gen wont be able to get away with it.

I agree 5 dont need a remake, please no just no ive had enough of that game over the years, though if they remade 6 im putting my joypad down forever.

Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
Haha. Nice review. I agree with it for the most part. Definitely agree that the game is not as good on the second replay. That baby bit is so creepy and as you say a chore.

Where does the game fit in your RE game line up? :)

Hmm good question, without thinking about it too much (from best to worst):

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil (Remake)

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 8: Village

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil Zero

Code Veronica

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Resident Evil 6

It’s hard to rank them as they are good for different reasons, which can simply be ‘gameplay’, ‘story (serious or cheesy)’, ‘atmosphere’, ‘how unnerving it is’, ‘humour’ etc. Or for one off reasons - I had a great time playing RE5 on co-op with my wife.

Re:make has a great atmosphere, Re7 is terrifying. Re:8 blends Re7 with Re4 fairly well. The original RE2 and Code Veronica are fun in their own way but also very dated, if you go back and play them. RE2 original is really short.

Overall though - I would say that RE4 is the best as a whole. The settings, treasure hunting, action, variety of environments and creepy sections make it the best ‘overall game’.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil (Remake)

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil Zero

Code Veronica

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Resident Evil 6

It’s hard to rank them as they are good for different reasons, which can simply be ‘gameplay’, ‘story (serious or cheesy)’, ‘atmosphere’, ‘how unnerving it is’, ‘humour’ etc. Or for one off reasons - I had a great time playing RE5 on co-op with my wife.

Re:make has a great atmosphere, Re7 is terrifying. Re:8 blends Re7 with Re4 fairly well. The original RE2 and Code Veronica are fun in their own way but also very dated, if you go back and play them. RE2 original is really short.

Overall though - I would say that RE4 is the best as a whole. The settings, treasure hunting, action, variety of environments and creepy sections make it the best ‘overall game’.

I rate it in terms of how much fun I have playing them and how often I revisit and play them again. That is partly why even Resident Evil 3 Remake is rated higher than RE4. Also I simply just enjoy the setting and story of the originals a lot more. RE4 just lost the plot when it comes to that.

At least we both agree RE6 was trash. Never felt the need to replay that game. I remember even on my first playthrough it felt like a damn chore, not a resident evil game.

Anyone start REverse? I tried it and it was not worth the wait thats for sure.

Did not even know it was out… Not surprised it’s crap. Not sure why CAPCOM ever bother with multiplayer. Waste of resources. Rather that budget be spent on the main game. They did the same with RE3 Remake. Very disappointing.

Permabanned

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil (Remake)

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil Zero

Code Veronica

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Resident Evil 6

Village better than 2 my ****! Forgettable characters.
Birkin is one of the best characters in the whole franchise!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Depends how recently you’ve (re)played them, maybe? :p 2 is great conceptually, a staple of the series, but it’s very dated, silly and short by modern standards - you can whizz through it in under 2 hours. In that sense, it’s arguably the most ‘arcadey’.

I found the 2 remake to be a little undermined by the sewers section and the annoyance of Mr. X on replays. And I really liked the exploring of the Villlage and Castle areas in 8 - pretty much exactly what I want going forwards. Just need less ‘set pieces’ and ‘more exploring’.

I can ignore his ridiculous motives and choices and say that Birkin’s aesthetic design and transformations are great and memorable, for sure. I also think Chief Irons is by far away the most disturbing character in all the games - heavily alluded to him being a serial killer of women in the original… which is very ‘off tone’ for the series.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
I last played it about 1-2 years ago using this. It actually used to be my number 1 game on the list but slipped up as I realised the original remake was better. I still get more fun playing it vs RE2 Remake and certainly more than RE Village :D

That said, valid points. But as I say Resident Evil has not been Resident Evil since they introduced RE4 and I just get a lot more fun out of the original experiences as to me that’s what an RE game is.

Permabanned
I last played it about 1-2 years ago using this. It actually used to be my number 1 game on the list but slipped up as I realised the original remake was better. I still get more fun playing it vs RE2 Remake and certainly more than RE Village :D

That said, valid points. But as I say Resident Evil has not been Resident Evil since they introduced RE4 and I just get a lot more fun out of the original experiences as to me that’s what an RE game is.
I was going to post this haha. The seamless hd project is great. They also have it for re3.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Resident evil remake, the HD remaster is one of my favourite ever games, such a classic horror experience with the classic fixed cameras and excellent soundtrack, shame as i don't think we will ever see a game in the series in this vein again

I am hoping we get a remake of it on something like UE 5 or if they make a next gen RE engine or something. I would want graphics set to 11 if it ever happened :)

As long as they did not try and change it much and kept it the same and just added a little with up to date graphics I think it would be great.

I always imagined how a pre rendered background game made today would look. I think it would look awesome personally. Imagine all the pixels being left for the zombies. Would be awesome. But I k ow that will not be happening.

Permabanned
Best to worst.

Top Tier.
RE2 OG
RE Code Veronica
RE Remake
RE4
RE2 Remake
RE OG
RE Outbreak File 2

SOLID
RE3 NEMESIS
RE Village
RE5
RE Outbreak
RE 3 Remake
RE 0

GAP
RE 7

Big gap. Only play if for some reason the others don't exist?!?
RE6
RE Racoon City
RE Gun Survivor 1&2
REVERSE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:
Soldato
RE6 will always be the worst for me.

Re2 and Re2 Remake are the top two, I do like 4 and ill buy the remake of 4 however its the most over rated of them all imo

Associate
On the original reveals of re4 remake they made it look like it was going in a darker more serious direction which I was very excited about.
The most recent video showed the same silly gameplay I didn't like re4 for as a resi game.

I'm conflicted about it now, I think it will end up exactly like re4 in my mind, a great game but not a resi game.
Which I suppose is exactly the point but a shame to me.

Man of Honour
Thought I’d continue the endless ranking discussions with my latest antics :D

Recently I’ve completed:

REmake (for the millionth time) - I think I’m probably ‘done’ with this game now. The best sections are the sections within the main mansion and I don’t tend to enjoy the rest so much now… I’m ‘going through the motions’. It’s not bad, it’s just ‘done to death’ for me.

Resident Evil directors cut (for the FIRST time) - I thought this would mix things up. I really enjoyed it as it felt familiar yet fresh. It’s pretty amazing how similar this is to the REmake. The house is a little different and there are minor variances, but it surprised me how little the remake changed. It also has a really B-movie goofy tone (‘cheesy dialogue with terrible voice acting’)… which is actually less dated than the remake’s ‘straight tone with terrible voice acting’. Good fun.

Code Veronica - some epic music in this one. Played with my wife, she decided where I would go, my ammo etc and I’d play :D was good fun, I’d bump this up above zero now. There are some unforgiving design choices (ridiculous bullet sponge Tyrant, wrecking many play throughs across the world) and the moth corridor, which are manageable when you’re a gaming warlord like me, and that Chris section in the base is soooo tedious with the blocked off routes. Has some of the best bits in the series but a little janky in those regards. Oh and that ‘cross dressing freak’ line drew a gasp from my wife :o

Village: Shadows of Rose - Resident Evil meets The Evil Within! It did reuse lots of environments rather than add new ones, but I thought this was great. Rose was a brilliant character, well voice acted and the use of the special powers was neat. Some of it was extremely creepy. Well worth a play through if you are willing to be open with its ‘dream world’ like environment. @TNA you played this one?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Thought I’d continue the endless ranking discussions with my latest antics :D

Keep it coming. Never gets old for me :D

REmake (for the millionth time) - I think I’m probably ‘done’ with this game now. The best sections are the sections within the main mansion and I don’t tend to enjoy the rest so much now… I’m ‘going through the motions’. It’s not bad, it’s just ‘done to death’ for me.

It will never get old for me. Just means one needs to leave a longer gap before playing. The gap for me is anywhere between 2-5 years.

I know what you mean, the mantion bits in resi games are usually the best. Goes down hill after. Though I am fine with it in REmake.

Code Veronica - some epic music in this one. Played with my wife, she decided where I would go, my ammo etc and I’d play :D was good fun, I’d bump this up above zero now. There are some unforgiving design choices (ridiculous bullet sponge Tyrant, wrecking many play throughs across the world) and the moth corridor, which are manageable when you’re a gaming warlord like me, and that Chris section in the base is soooo tedious with the blocked off routes. Has some of the best bits in the series but a little janky in those regards. Oh and that ‘cross dressing freak’ line drew a gasp from my wife :o

Haha. I did that with my partner like 15 years ago as she would penic and mess it up when playing so I would get her to tell me what to do.

Love Code Veronica. Really hope they do a remake, but not holding my breath. Maybe they afraid about the cross dressing dude. Bet that line would be gone for sure. Lol

Village: Shadows of Rose - Resident Evil meets The Evil Within! It did reuse lots of environments rather than add new ones, but I thought this was great. Rose was a brilliant character, well voice acted and the use of the special powers was neat. Some of it was extremely creepy. Well worth a play through if you are willing to be open with its ‘dream world’ like environment. @TNA you played this one?

Not a fan of Resident Evil DLC to be honest. I mean not a fan of Ethan or that story line anyway so was never going to buy it. Who knows maybe one day I get it for a few quid :p

Looking forward to RE4 Remake. Hoping to grab it sub £30. But so far no luck. I feel £25 would be fair as it is not my favourite Resi.

I would pay £50 for a Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake though :D

Man of Honour
@TNA year if you never liked The Evil Within then deffo wait until Shadow of Rose becomes cheaper.

Ooo if I haven’t recommended it before check out ‘Tormented Souls’ - it’s pretty much a REmake homage (some supernatural elements but completely aligned with gameplay). Really enjoyed it. Should be right up your street!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
@TNA year if you never liked The Evil Within then deffo wait until Shadow of Rose becomes cheaper.

Ooo if I haven’t recommended it before check out ‘Tormented Souls’ - it’s pretty much a REmake homage (some supernatural elements but completely aligned with gameplay). Really enjoyed it. Should be right up your street!

Yeah, The Evil Within was not my cup of tea. Most survival horror games are not to be honest. I just love everything about the OG resi games and the newer stuff just seem boring in comparison.

Talk about boring. I am playing Uncharted Legacy Collection right now and boy is that boring. Decent story but shocking gameplay. Tomb Raider games are a million times better gameplay.

I paid £15 for it so I insist on finishing it, but never again will I touch that franchise :cry:

Back
Top Bottom