Resident Evil 4

Soldato
I played all 3 original games on the vita also and I also agree. For those to be ported, the character models would need to be done from scratch, as would the lighting system. Quite a lot of work really.

They could just work on the pc version that already came out. When you run 1600p and put AA on the characters they look boxy but crisp. Backgrounds are awful looking always though but I'm sure they were rendered from much higher resolution artwork which Capcom will still have.

We have a great resident evil 1 that looks as good as it'll ever do on any hardware on the Gamecube. Resident Evil 3 wasn't a superb game but 2....................oh the hours I spent perfecting 2. If that got the gamecube style treatment I would literally pay anything for it.

Associate
I still have a modded to the gills Resi 4 on my pc, played it on the Wii and PS2
I will get this at some point, proper mouse support, hi def etc, why the hell they omitted this from the original PC release is beyond me. Hope a steamworks Resi 5 Gold edition is on its way too.

Soldato
Why do you keep mentioning the PS2 version? why would they use that as a base? Capcom can't just "emulate" the PS2 that easily.. The cutscenes on the 360 version are rendered using the ingame engine, as was done in the Gamecube version, so if anything it's based on that codebase with a new backend (Direct3D etc)
The 360 version uses gameplay videos rendered in bink FMV format with heavy compression. ONLY the gamecube version has realtime lighting videos all the others are in bink FMV format which again is the same low res gameplay footage rendered as FMV to save Capcom lots of money to get their gamecube engine working on other formats!

I know this 100% for sure as someone took all those videos from PS2 & GCN modded them to work on the 2007 PC version & used a higher bitrate to encode in bink then uploaded them so you could add to the current PC version!

Capcom took the PS2 version then used that game data upscaled it to 720P then emulated it to work on PS3/X360 versions. PC is the same version only difference is the higher hard disk space & slightly modified textures :rolleyes:

FYI you can emulate almost perfectly the PS2 for many years now.............

Soldato
I notice that there are playable L4D2 characters in the mercenary mode on resident Evil 6 and now they are releasing 4 on PC. hope this means they will release others in the series.

I would love to have Re1 remake on PC, but think that might have been a game Cube exclusive, for some very odd reason.

Associate
Looking at it now, the cutscenes on the 360 version for the standard game are rendered in engine, and the separate ways cutscenes are FMVs so we're both sorta right.

I don't get your point though...someone took videos from the ps2 and gcn versions and made them work on the pc so therefore the official 360 port uses fmv?

Yes, i'm aware of the PS2 emulator. Do you think Capcom are going to use that, on the xbox 360?!?! or wrote their own playstation 2 emulator?

Soldato
The 360 version uses gameplay videos rendered in bink FMV format with heavy compression. ONLY the gamecube version has realtime lighting videos all the others are in bink FMV format which again is the same low res gameplay footage rendered as FMV to save Capcom lots of money to get their gamecube engine working on other formats!

I know this 100% for sure as someone took all those videos from PS2 & GCN modded them to work on the 2007 PC version & used a higher bitrate to encode in bink then uploaded them so you could add to the current PC version!

Capcom took the PS2 version then used that game data upscaled it to 720P then emulated it to work on PS3/X360 versions. PC is the same version only difference is the higher hard disk space & slightly modified textures :rolleyes:

FYI you can emulate almost perfectly the PS2 for many years now.............

It is best to use a Wii emulator and play the Wii version
The Wii emulator has loads of options like AA etc

I even have a Wireless sensor bar and a Wiimote with nunchuck so I can play Wii games on my PC with better graphics then on the console (360 pad works too) :)

Soldato

I even have a Wireless sensor bar and a Wiimote with nunchuck so I can play Wii games on my PC with better graphics then on the console (360 pad works too) :)

Pikmin!?

Does the on rails Resi shooter support mouse by any chance?

Soldato

Modded PC version looks the best apart from the pre-rendered cutscenes!

Soldato
Capcom replied a few minutes ago as expected most of it is 2005 based :rolleyes: 5GB HD Textures 10GB pre-recorded cutscenes :rolleyes:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/648817378342426801/#c558746088912295995

"I am locking this thread to end further speculation and misinformation.

Feature wise, the new PC version is based on the Xbox 360 version, which in turn is based on Wii/GCN versions.

Many of the texture assets have been redone (not (I)everything(/I), mind you) from the ground up, as you can see in the screenshot gallery on the Steam Store page. I've uploaded a handful of side-by-side comparison shots for good measure just to give everyone an idea.

The game has an option to toggle between original and HD texture pack. HD texture pack is approximately 5GB while the standard pack weighs in at 1.6GB (they're in separate directories).

Similar to the Xbox 360/PS3 version, most cut scenes are rendered real time and in-engine. Some cut scenes, such as those from the (I)Separate Ways(/I) content introduced with the PS2 version, were only captured in video. Aside from that, movies such as the opening CGI movie are naturally upscaled from the original 2005 release (again, same with all other versions).

Graphics Option - Game allows you to select whatever resolution your Windows OS supports. That said, the game is optimized for 1920x1080 (16:9) format running at 60fps and has been tested as such, but it seems to work in higher resolutions as well. Anything beyond 1080p has not been formally tested and therefore not 'officially' supported by Capcom, but I've had it run fine on 2560x1600, 2560x1440, and 1920x1200 settings. Your mileage may vary. In-menu, the game will also have anti-aliasing options up to 8X, three shadow quality settings, aforementioned texture quality toggle, full screen on/off toggle, motion blur on/off toggle, and one other 'fun' graphics option that I just won't mention at this time so as not to ruin the surprise. There are other graphics options not surfaced via the in-game menu, but I'm sure many of you tinkerers will find it without problem. Standard disclaimer: any tweaks you make outside of the game menu aren't officially supported by Capcom ;) "

Soldato
Absolutely agree with this. I played through the HD remake of RE4 on the PS3 a few years back and really enjoyed it. Its a far better game than 5 and 6 for a start and revelations seemed to use the best parts of it also.

It has some of the best boss fights in the RE series that are genuinely scary.

My thoughts exactly!

I was in awe at some of the huge sprites in RE4 on the GC truly amazed me and that takes a lot. One of my fav boss battles is the 2 el gigante in the lava floored room was fantastic and one of the best boss battle scenes in any game. The one in the storage locker things over the cravass was excellent as well. Awwww the whole game was brilliant from start to finish.

Associate
Personally, i cant wait to get my revenge on those leatherfaced brutes. The first time i ended up meeting one of them it ended very very badly. And many times after also. Easily the most memorable, spine chilling, pulse racing noise iv come across in a game yet for me. I hope it lives up to that memory?

EDIT: Dr.Salvador iv just remebered the name (i think)

Associate
Resident evil hasn't been Resident evil since RE3 (imo) .. id really love a remake of the original, i'll never understand the choices game developers make :( i guess someone must understand, but i really don't..

Permabanned
Resident evil hasn't been Resident evil since RE3 (imo) .. id really love a remake of the original, i'll never understand the choices game developers make :( i guess someone must understand, but i really don't..

It is not needed as the Gamecube has already done it, and it still looks really nice. I think RE2 could do with a remake as I think the GC version was just the same.

Associate
It is not needed as the Gamecube has already done it. I think RE2 could do with a remake as I think the GC version was just the same.

i mean on the PC, making full use of our lovely high end GPU's :) how many people ever owned a gamecube? i can honestly say not a single person i knew at the time owned one

Edit: to be fair, there are other games on the market now which perform a similar job, like Amnesia for example

Last edited:
Caporegime

Agreed, though I thought RE4 is easily the best of the more recent bunch.

Soldato
i mean on the PC, making full use of our lovely high end GPU's :) how many people ever owned a gamecube? i can honestly say not a single person i knew at the time owned one

Edit: to be fair, there are other games on the market now which perform a similar job, like Amnesia for example

Over 100 million people owned a Wii.

The REmake is incredible as it is. It should be left well alone.

Back
Top Bottom