Restoration - Range Rover CSK 1991 No. 120

That's a very good question (in fact the insurance company asked me the very same thing).

Honestly I have no idea, the cam is supposed to develop torque from the very bottom of the curve (which it seems to have in abundance) rather than straight HP.

The standard power for a 4.6 Rover V8 in a second gen Range Rover is 225 hp and 280 lb/ft but that's with no mods and running stock exhaust/cats etc. TVR claim 285 hp and 310 lb/ft for the same engine, TVR were known to grossly over inflate their stock figures though!

Looking at what other people have said, given similar mods, I'm probably looking at around 250bhp and 300 lb/ft of torque, maybe less maybe more depending on how well I can sort the fuel out.

Whilst these figures may seem quite low the stock for the CSK engine was 185.1bhp at 4750 rpm and 235.1lb.ft at 2600 rpm so it's still a hefty increase.

I've put my name down for the rolling road day so I'm sure I'll be suitably embarrassed when it only makes half what I hoped for!

I've been running this engine in for a little while now and have a few updates :)

It's still burning a little too much oil for my liking, especially at higher RPM, which I hope is down to the rings not bedding in enough yet. Otherwise it's a case of dropping the pistons out and glaze busting the bores/fitting new rings.

I bought a S/H "Tornado" chipped ECU from ebay and sent it off to the 14CUX (Hotwire injection) guru Mark Adams with my engine spec, he's used to chipping TVR's with the engine spec I sent him so he had a "best fit" map on file. I also got him to program the ECU to take the later AFM from the second gen Range Rover GEMS injection system, it flows far more air.

I had to fabricate a clip/bracket system to hold the AFM in place as the mountings were very different (there aren't any on the 20AM as it's designed to clip in place).

I'm now going to keep an eye out for some silicone "smooth" inlet tubing.

I'm also considering ripping the LPG system out and fitting a fully ported inlet manifold and trumpets. I don't do many miles and I can stomach the fuel consumption at the moment, the LPG doesn't detract from the power output of the engine but it does add weight and looks odd having two tanks slung underneath the sills. Probably helps with the centre of gravity though!

I replaced all the vacuum hoses with silicone ones to stop them splitting (a common issue)

Other than the engine I refitted the remains of the air-con system and had it re-gassed but it appears I have a wiring fault somewhere as it's refusing to engage the clutch, I'll chase that out when I find some time.

Whilst at my local Land Rover spares dept. buying some HT leads for the off-roader (Series 3 V8) I was offered 2x plastic front wings at an obscenely low price, so I now have those to paint up and fit :)

Other than that not much progress, still hunting for some perfect rear wings and a perfect bottom tailgate. Can't decide if I should use the fibreglass bonnet I bought, I'd need to use bonnet pins or aero-catches to hold it down which would look odd, I think.

Hopefully the rain will hold off long enough for me to give her a good wash tomorrow night before the RR :)

The result was posted in the rolling road thread, it was a little down on power from what I was expecting.

After the RR day I stripped the engine back to a bare block and rebuilt it again, with new rings.

During the strip down I found a fairly major issue with a failed component in the induction area, had it not been on the rolling road I probably would have been none the wiser!

With this issue fixed and the new rings it seems to be a lot better, I need to get it back on the rolling road one day to see how much better it is.

utmost respect to the OP, I am a landrover fan and especially a fan of the Rover V8, so to see the work, time and commitment put into this project is really warming. Was NOT expecting to see this on ocuk this morning, thats for sure.

A request - please upload a video of idle and throttle being tickled, i would love to hear how yours sounds - cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom