Restoration - Range Rover CSK 1991 No. 120

This needs posting again because it just looks so damn good.

2011-08-29%25252018.03.06.jpg

Round of applause for that man.

I'd love to make a decent job of my (far less prestigious) 300tdi, it's mine and I love it, but don't have those welding skills or the space, or the money come to that lol.

I hope you have posted this over at landrovernet.com forums - they have a nice rangie section who'd got all hot and bothered over a restoration like this one.

nice, i see you drive or rather hear a nice roar past my house most mornings

live half way up the road from you

Opps seems im busted. Sorry about the noise, i do drive up the road as slow as possible in the mornings to not annoy. :(

I gave my seats and door cards to the local land rover re-seller as i was going to chuck them.

i love the wheels, as mine are diamond cut most alloy refurbers will only strip and paint them so they wont look the same as they did brand new. I did think of painting them black myself but wasnt sure if black wheels on a black car would look good but your picture show they do, thats just gave me 40 hours of elbow work on mine then. cheers! ;)

Interesting :) Can't believe you gave the seats away!

You're only up the road from me really, perhaps we should have a CSK get-together. I'd be interested to see what changes you've made.

Got any better photos of the wheels, you can't see them properly in that photo :/

Wouldn't worry about standard too much, my list of non-standard parts is fairly extensive. To some people lowering a RRC and fitting bigger alloys is a no-no.

I haven't been on landrovernet forums before, might check it out. I tend to spend most of my time over on LR4x4.

A few weeks back a friend of mine took some photos of the CSK for me so I thought I'd post them up. Since these were taken the LPG has been fitted and I've added some rear mudflaps. Nearly had the addition of a Mondeo in my side as some kind soul tried to pull into me on a slip road earlier!

_DSC0380.JPG

_DSC0433.JPG

_DSC0396.JPG

Thanks for the interest that's been shown, it's spurred me on to start writing a build thread for my last restoration/build :)

Prob not best to meet up, i will be swapping all the good bits of yours with my rusty ones. Derby isnt that far away so a meet might be good.

As i bought some bucket seats i gave the front heated seats and front door cards away too but if i knew they had value i wouldnt have done so. I will try and find some other pics, but my wheels look like yours but obviously silver and worn.

It's about time for an update on this, and as I'm posting car stuff today it seemed like a good time ;)

I've been hatching plans to make the old girl a little quicker.

I had to keep her on the road up to a few weekends ago as one of the Mags has run an article on the rebuild and needed to take some photos, I didn't think they'd appreciate me pulling the engine out before they turned up, so I've been collecting parts and planning.

This weekend I stripped the front cover off the old 3.9 that the CSK came with, along with the other parts I might need, and game them a good cleaning, when I rebuilt the CSK I fitted a later timing cover and a single "serpentine" belt which is far from original. I plan to fit this new engine with the correct cover for the age. It should look far more standard from the outside!

Cleaned the sump/oil pickup and checked the sump for clearance. A few guides suggest knocking the centre of the sump down by 5-10mm, mine didn't touch but to be safe I knocked it down a little anyway. This is now ready for painting.

I then turned to the 4.6 bottom end
Started off looking like this;

2012-03-18%2016.14.20.jpg

And now looks like this;

2012-03-18%2017.18.00.jpg

2012-03-18%2016.58.14.jpg

The block is going to get a good clean, bores are spot on and pistons/crank look good too.

I then picked up a set of worked on heads, Stage 3 from V8Developments over in Spalding and whilst I was there got them to check my block for the famous slipped liner issue. Sure enough mine suffered so that's now being machined for top-hat-liners and new cam bearings.

I have a set of heads, a cam, gaskets, timing chain and shells ready to be fitted.

Currently trying to work out how to accurately port the inlet manifold so it matches the heads

here are a few photos of parts;

2012-04-15%2015.23.44.jpg

2012-04-15%2014.23.43.jpg

2012-04-15%2014.41.06.jpg

More to follow when I get the block back!

Bolted the bottom end of the engine together, once I had the right big ends.

2012-05-19%2015.25.01.jpg

2012-05-26%2016.21.41.jpg

2012-05-26%2016.21.27.jpg

I sprayed up the rocker-covers in a rather fetching bright red colour, sprayed the sump and the engine mounts satin-black and bolted the age-correct front cover the 1991 back on, looking forward to getting the air-con working!

2012-05-27%2017.24.20.jpg

The final build has ended up as;

4.6 X-bolted top hat Rover block
Standard piston rings
V8 Development MC1 Camshaft
Cloyes "Street True Roller" timing chain set
Stage 3 heads

I've also picked up all the hoses to swap back to the correct multi-v timing cover, a heavy duty clutch bearing and release arm, braided clutch hose and a new friction plate.

I've got next week booked off to slot this engine in a sort a few other things that have been annoying me, if the weather is good I'd like to get the leather re-dyed too.

After a long hard week of toil, oil, sweat and blood, the engine is IN.

The old engine slipped out fairly easily, not much to report there other than it still looked like the day I fitted it.

I replaced the clutch friction plate, despite it being in good condition, the clutch release bearing was replaced with a HD version. I bought a HD clutch release fork but it turned out mine was a cast item anyway, so that was returned.

I'll post a few photos and let them do some talking;

2012-06-12%2010.36.26.jpg

Old engine out, new engine waiting to "slip" in.

2012-06-12%2017.44.23.jpg

That's the engine "slipped" in and cam lubed.

2012-06-17%2020.02.25.jpg

I then set the lifter pre-load with shims, primed the oil pump and bolted in the manifold.

Then the "fun" of fitting the LPG and the petrol injectors, all the ancillaries and belts (it was around this point I wished I'd gone with serpentine).

I was pleasantly surprised that it started first time, so I bedded the cam in (thankfully no water leaks and the electric fan worked well) and then timed it slightly better before putting it away for the night.

The following morning (it's taken from Monday to Friday by now) I took it out for a test drive, followed by a longer test drive, being very conservative with the fast-pedal, keeping the revs below 2500.

A little tidying left to do and aircon to refit. It's a shame it still says "3.9" on the engine but it looks original I guess.

Initial feeling is that the engine has a load more torque, just need to get the engine run in before I can open her up and see how well she goes

It also seems much smoother and idles a lot better, slighlty quieter too, although I'm sure that's just me. It does sound sweet on tick-over.

I also need to look at re-chipping the ECU. I'm going to replace the fuel-chip with a Mark Adams Tornado ECU chip and a "best guess" map for the mods I've done, also replacing the AFM with the later 20AM version. This is a tried and tested approach taken by a lot of TVR owners, TVR even sold Marks Tornado ECU to owners as an upgrade.

At a later date I may go either megasquirt or perhaps GEMS, depending on how good the MA chip is.

At the moment it all looks very original under the bonnet, that would change with both Megasquirt or GEMS.

Back
Top Bottom