Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Btw u.can run games without workbench 99% of the time. I have yet to.find one that needs to :)

Welcome to the amiga club:)

I want the a604 1 to 2mb RAM upgrade but at 40 quid its a bit steep :(

Soldato
Used to love my A500 with memory upgrade :D some games didn't like it and had to take the expansion cover off and flick it back to 1/2 mb. Really fancy a A1200 now, but they go for a decent price. Trying to decide what retro machine I should get.

Associate
Btw u.can run games without workbench 99% of the time. I have yet to.find one that needs to :)

That is also true - any game that runs through Workbench will have a basic bootable version on the floppy. Most of the games that work through Workbench were also HDD installable and not many were back then - Populous 2, Simcity, Civilization and just about anything else from Microprose were.

If you didn't get one with it I'd advise trying to find an external floppy drive, the 1Mb expansion and a second floppy drive were normal expected upgrades of the day.

Soldato
That is also true - any game that runs through Workbench will have a basic bootable version on the floppy. Most of the games that work through Workbench were also HDD installable and not many were back then - Populous 2, Simcity, Civilization and just about anything else from Microprose were.

If you didn't get one with it I'd advise trying to find an external floppy drive, the 1Mb expansion and a second floppy drive were normal expected upgrades of the day.

Is the expansion the thing I have to make it 1MB total :)?

What uses does the additional floppy drive have, they seem pretty expensive :eek:.

Soldato
Today has been a fun day. Got my DC out of the loft to ensure it still works - Have plans to turn our spare room into a Retro Gaming room. :) My wife even wants to get involved :eek::D

Unfortunately when I switched it back on I was met with a blue tint to the screen. Considering it has been in the loft for a while I decided to strip it down to check everything was ok inside (and to give it a thorough clean out).

This is the mid way point:

WP_20130324_001_zpscdf25720.jpg

It was not pretty inside (aged dust = not good). Overall though I could see not obvious damage to any components.

Anyway after putting it back together I am pleased to say that the blue tinting now only happens in frequently. I don't know if the console is on its was out, or whether I just need a new AV cable (currently using RGB scart). I think I will get a new VGA cable first, if that doesn't work a "new" console. Either way I will benefit from the clearer picture.

Associate
IIRC the favorite use was for loading games from the HDD.
Improved loading times pretty well imho
The software required to do it was questionable however :(

Never knew it could do this. Pretty interesting. The most I ever got into hacking my PS2 back in the day was getting the multi region disc to play back my R1 DVDs.

Soldato
I think I'm going to purchase an old SONY CRT to run my Mega Drive and Dreamcast from. They don't look too fantastic running on a 50" Plasma. Plus I want the experience to be as authentic as possible. :)

Back
Top Bottom