Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Finally starting to get my games collection out of storage and all set up 0ldQG7v.jpg
NdAw68y

Soldato
I'm considering selling my Win98 desktop setup with CRT monitor, MS keyboard, mouse etc. and downsizing to a laptop.
It seems like its a minefield finding a machine that would be as good at playing retro games aging from the early 90s to ~2002.

I've been considering these

Dell Precision 4000 / 8000
Dell Latitude C800
Toshiba Satellite pro 480CDT / 4000 series

Focus is on full driver support for Win98.
The older satellite range come with good Yamaha sound chips but lack good GPU chips and have poorer screen quality.
The slightly newer laptops have poor audio but better dedicated GPU and screens
Battery life is also a concern as most are dead and PCMCIA are required for USB 2.0.
I almost pulled the trigger on an Inspiron 4000 which was in good condition with a spare new battery and PCMCIA cards. I was only put off slightly by the weaker GPU

Games I would like it to play;

Warheads
Moto Racer
Arcade Pool 2
Ballance
Blood bath at red fall
Build engine games - Duke 3d
Doom 1, 2 maybe quake
Need for speed 2 SE
Cybersphere
Some older pinball games like Pinball fantasies.

Any recommendations?

FYI, desktop is a 550Mhz PIII, Voodoo 3, Soundblaster 16 ISA, 2 x 120GB HDD. It plays almost everything from 1990-2004 very well

Soldato
The TINY laptop I fixed up had windows 98 drivers and also SB emulation for DOS. There was one floating around ebay for about £30 that hasnt sold in months. If its still up could possibly low ball it?
Although it takes a bit of faffing to get DOS drivers working well on it, probably much better options for sound out there.

The trouble with any laptops of this age is all the batteries are going to be old and tired.

Soldato
Where do you guys draw the line at collecting and hoarding? I am looking at all my "stuff", and on the verge of selling most of it, and it makes me sad to do so. But I don't know why, I never use my Dreamcast, it doesn't give me any joy or anything. I don't desperately need the space either. I could get good money for it too as it's a great bundle with keyboard, mouse, the Dreampi modem thing, Shenmue 1 and 2 plus 20 other games, VGA, RGB SCART, composite and Svideo, upgraded Noctua fan...

It's the same story with some PC soundcards too. Never use them, makes me sad to sell them even if they don't give me any fun anymore...

Soldato
As I modernise and upgrade my consoles to use things like optical drive emulators and get more flash carts I get the urge to sell off a lot of my games, haven't done so yet, but it's there, I've also started emulating games on PC in preparation for getting a Steam deck so I'm seeing less and less appeal in having shelves and shelves of games that aren't ever going to be played.

Soldato
Where do you guys draw the line at collecting and hoarding? I am looking at all my "stuff", and on the verge of selling most of it, and it makes me sad to do so. But I don't know why, I never use my Dreamcast, it doesn't give me any joy or anything. I don't desperately need the space either. I could get good money for it too as it's a great bundle with keyboard, mouse, the Dreampi modem thing, Shenmue 1 and 2 plus 20 other games, VGA, RGB SCART, composite and Svideo, upgraded Noctua fan...

It's the same story with some PC soundcards too. Never use them, makes me sad to sell them even if they don't give me any fun anymore...

I collect less now days, I have started buying Everdrives and ODEs. Problem I have now is too much choice. I wish I had more space for collecting to be honest.

Caporegime
Where do you guys draw the line at collecting and hoarding?.

I only want the games I remember growing up with and got me through a tough time of bullying..... Sold most of my Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 as I had no memories of it growing up. It's all Amstrad, Amiga and a bit of Mega Drive/Master System :D

Associate
My prized possessions are Pokemon Gale of Darkness boxed, Pokemon Red Boxed, Pikachu N64 console, and a gameboy micro that needs some refurbishment :D wish I had more!!

I would really like a blue or purple N64!

Soldato
In the interest of downsizing, I purchased this which arrived yesterday.

PSP Go in very good condition
Boxed with manuals
Sony PSP leather case
Official charger and USB lead
Clear plastic screen protector case (front removed in photo below)

WKrnYB3.jpg.png

Not bad for £100 inc

The USB lead proprietary connector is damaged (bent) which unfortunately causes an issue when charging / connecting to PC. I've ordered another for £18 and seller has agreed partial refund. I'll list the Sony PSU mains end to try and recover a bit of cost.

I have a PS3 bluetooth controller, does anyone know if this can be connected to the PSP Go without the need of a PS3? I have it connected to PC and it's not being detected. It does say when connecting that PS3 system is required not sounds like its a no go. What the PS3 does additionally to detect it, i'm not sure.

Soldato
Not bad for £100 inc

The USB lead proprietary connector is damaged (bent) which unfortunately causes an issue when charging / connecting to PC. I've ordered another for £18 and seller has agreed partial refund. I'll list the Sony PSU mains end to try and recover a bit of cost.

I have a PS3 bluetooth controller, does anyone know if this can be connected to the PSP Go without the need of a PS3? I have it connected to PC and it's not being detected. It does say when connecting that PS3 system is required not sounds like its a no go. What the PS3 does additionally to detect it, i'm not sure.

If you search SpawnWave PSP Go on YouTube, his latest video on it was released about a week ago and I remember him commenting on this very point.

I think natively no, you need a PS3. Insane, really.

Enjoy the PSP Go - I had one about five years ago. Fancy picking up a Vita at some point.

Soldato
If you search SpawnWave PSP Go on YouTube, his latest video on it was released about a week ago and I remember him commenting on this very point.

Enjoy the PSP Go - I had one about five years ago. Fancy picking up a Vita at some point.
Yeh, quite insane. I think my dad has an old PS3, I could connect it using that I guess then it may show and stay in bluetooth devices. No doubt it would drop from bluetooth devices and would need pairing with the 'help' of the PS3 again

Thanks, so far a great little device

Associate
Thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi 4 for RetroPie, but I'm not sure which version to get. 2GB of RAM, 4GB of RAM or 8GB of RAM?

It depends which systems you want to emulate, for myself I would go with the 4gb (the 2gb are in short supply anyway).

It may be worth waiting though for two reasons firstly the pi 400 cpu which runs slightly cooler and is a few mhz faster has starting showing up in some new pi's so until the old cpu stock is sold off it may be worth hanging on. Secondly if you can wait even longer next year is the 10th anniversary of the pi and I would be surprised if the pi 5 didn't release then to celebrate it.

Soldato

It was possible, however I came to learn a couple of things.

Use the following to make your Windows PC act as the PS3

MotioninJoy_071001_signed
Motioninjoy offline files
Better DS3

After setup, I could get almost through the sync process but it would fail picking up the controller with error '802F0153'
Looking online this was due to a fake dual shock 3 (DS3) controller. I cracked it open and inside the battery just had a blue covered and appeared to be glued to the circuit board, the board solder was also rubbish.
I went to eBay and purchased and 'Official Sony DS3 controller' for almost £20, this one arrived and the same error occurred. I didnt bother cracking it open, instead returned it for a refund but I expect it was similar to the one I had before.
Next I went to see my parents and took a laptop and screwdriver. My dad has an old PS3 and for some reason 3 DS3 control pads. I cracked one open and it was a world of difference. CE stamps and writing all over the battery, good soldering. Low and behold it synced straight away without any issues at all.

The main difference externally was the R2 and L2 triggers. On the real ones they have good feedback and feel 'softer' on the fake they are more clicky with much less feedback.

Spot the difference...

KlzQFDz.jpg.png

awFGyEp.jpg.png

NpJfVLj.jpg.png

pvyDT3H.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom