Return to Monkey Island

Soldato
Full Trailer

Looks amazing!

Also check the website

its interactive :D

Soldato
Not a fan of the art style tbh. Mainly the faces, not fussed about the rest of the gfx per say.

Reminds me of the gfx style of broken age which i didnt like buy got anyhow as thought was gona be good but wasnt (for me)

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Can't say I like the art style.
Hurts my eyes to look at it - so much visual noise. I'm a huge MI fan (first played it on my Amiga 500 with all the disk swapping that entailed :D ) - got the Limited Run MI Anthology sat right next to me but I don't think I can play this.

Still, I hope it's a success for everyone involved - can't fault 'em for trying.

Man of Honour
Can't say I'm overly gone on how it looks - the faces are a tad too weird and as Aegis said there is a degree of visual noise which doesn't work well with how flat the graphics are.

Soldato
Would have been amazing in VR in the style Moss, epic actually…

It exists in Alice In Wonderland format. Watching the trailer, and then seeing the coming to pc/switch at the end probably explains the flack. You look at the art style, everything about screams to the younger audience found mostly on said handheld device. Long held fans wanted to see the series return, they got it, but i don't think it's aimed at them.

Associate
I swear video game fandom is the most toxic of fandoms.

Are people not allowed to voice their dissatisfaction? The whole thing with Monkey Island reminded me of the Sonic movie debacle - and in that case I'm glad the Sonic fans voiced their disappointment as the film they got was much improved and successful enough to warrant a sequel.

Now, so far as Ron Gilbert being driven off of Twitter by this, I'm of two minds - I don't think it's right that creators should have to suffer threats and verbal abuse *but* he couldn't have not known that the art style would be hugely controversial with the fans.

I'm bemused by the whole thing - I won't be playing it as the art really turns me off but I hope it's successful enough that Ron can continue to make the games he wants to make.

Man of Honour
Are people not allowed to voice their dissatisfaction? The whole thing with Monkey Island reminded me of the Sonic movie debacle - and in that case I'm glad the Sonic fans voiced their disappointment as the film they got was much improved and successful enough to warrant a sequel.

Now, so far as Ron Gilbert being driven off of Twitter by this, I'm of two minds - I don't think it's right that creators should have to suffer threats and verbal abuse *but* he couldn't have not known that the art style would be hugely controversial with the fans.

I'm bemused by the whole thing - I won't be playing it as the art really turns me off but I hope it's successful enough that Ron can continue to make the games he wants to make.

It can be an odd one sometimes - I saw an article a programmer wrote awhile back as a kind of goodbye when they took themselves off social media, etc. bemoaning how toxic, etc. people were but when I went to look at the comments they were alluding to 90% were just mild to moderate, often constructive, almost all very valid, criticism. There were a tiny minority of trolls/really vile comments but that was a vanishing minority fortunately in the case.

Associate
It can be an odd one sometimes - I saw an article a programmer wrote awhile back as a kind of goodbye when they took themselves off social media, etc. bemoaning how toxic, etc. people were but when I went to look at the comments they were alluding to 90% were just mild to moderate, often constructive, almost all very valid, criticism. There were a tiny minority of trolls/really vile comments but that was a vanishing minority fortunately in the case.

Some people just have a really thin skin, and my advice to them would always be stay the hell away from social media - anonymity really does turn some people into complete a-holes (but then, it's been that way since the dawn of the internet).

Regarding Monkey Island, I think Ron Gilbert's in a tough spot because MI changed substantially over the years and whilst, for someone like myself, the 'best' Monkey Island is the first two games (the ones Gilbert worked on), other fans adore 'Curse' (I was never a fan of that one or the later games and I've always thought that Dominic Armato was the wrong choice for Guybrush - but that's me, some fans couldn't imagine an MI game without him).

I believe Gilbert stated that he wanted Return to be a 'modern' game and to look like one, but personally I'd have loved to see something much closer to Steve Purcell's beautiful cover art - Guybrush, and the characters in his world were always so expressive - even in the pixel art games - and this blockly, abstract, paper-cut-esqe styling seems to be all waving limbs and little nuance.

Art aside though, here's hoping we get a great story.

Soldato
feedback is fair but its become a stick to beat them with

one exchange I read from someone with them on twitter was basically "im going to keep telling you I hate it until you change it" its that really necessary?

Curse was my favourite art style, but am happy its not a "3d" game again like escape or tales

Back
Top Bottom