Rice / Rice Cookers / Meal Prep

Soldato
why do you think that ? porridge volume I make is usually small (myself) versus rice (for several) so having a pot too big, for porridge is the concern,
I usually use a small saucepan.

Usually make it for me and the wife - so about 90g of oats + 600ml of liquid, about 3:1 water to milk, this morning I had a bit too much in it and it bubbled up and out the hole in the top. Reading the Yum Asia instruction book it says dont use too much milk due to the way it cooks/bubbles when heated compared to water, if you just use water it's fine i'm sure, but who eats porridge made purely of water and oats :D !

Caporegime
Usually make it for me and the wife - so about 90g of oats + 600ml of liquid, about 3:1 water to milk, this morning I had a bit too much in it and it bubbled up and out the hole in the top. Reading the Yum Asia instruction book it says dont use too much milk due to the way it cooks/bubbles when heated compared to water, if you just use water it's fine i'm sure, but who eats porridge made purely of water and oats :D !

Side note...when a rice cooker refers to porridge, I would expect it to be rice porridge, aka congee.

It should still work for oats, but not sure how it works out, the ratio from oats to milk might need to be adjusted to suit.

Soldato
this morning I had a bit too much in it and it bubbled up and out the hole in the top.
ok - so it boils (vigorously for a bit) I had thought it turned down the heat once there was a volume of steam -
so, for porridge, maybe difficult to leave to start automatically and leave unattended, like I do on hob porridge where you figure out the level that will give time for showernshave.

I would expect it to be rice porridge, aka congee.
she's making porridge
https://youtu.be/TJXqWImuWn0

e: so she did one:three max capacity 5.5 cups apparently 1 litre
https://www.amazon.com/zojirushi-ns-dac10-neuro-fuzzy-cooker-warmer/dp/b000epn7we

Last edited:
Caporegime

She is making Oatmeal :p

This is EXACTLY what i mean, when a rice cooker says Porridge, it is referring to congee. It can STILL do Oatmeal.

SE Asian - Porridge = Congee.

Western - Porridge = Oatmeal.

Rice cooker, made in SE Asia…made by a Japanese company, porridge…I would expect it to mean congee.

Porridge is more a word used in the UK, in the US, and North America, it is commonly known as Oatmeal. So chances are that I don’t expect a Japanese company calling something porridge to mean what the UK think of when we say Porridge. As opposed that Porridge = Congee.

A cooking cycle to make rice porridge would be rice + water on a low heat for like 45mins+ easy

You can cook oatmeal much faster than that on the stove, hence why I said you might need to adjust the ratio a bit, or even look into the settings more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Americans call it oatmeal, she is using rolled oats, so it works, but,
many+myself use milk in porridge, which she doesn't, milk boils up and over differently to water, forming a skin, so I can see that may make a rice cooker a non-starter for me.
(google) looks like you can stop milk boiling over by putting a wooden spatula at saucepan brim or oil on the top edge, perhaps oil would work in a rice cooker

Caporegime
many+myself use milk in porridge, which she doesn't, milk boils up and over differently to water, forming a skin, so I can see that may make a rice cooker a non-starter for me.
(google) looks like you can stop milk boiling over by putting a wooden spatula at saucepan brim or oil on the top edge, perhaps oil would work in a rice cooker

I think you missed my point like completely.

my point is that when a rice cooker says porridge, it does not mean British porridge but Congee. I know Americans call it oatmeal, I said it as much. I’m concerned that the cooking cycle for congee (which is labelled as porridge on the machine) will not work very well for British porridge.

How you make your British porridge with milk or water or whatever YouTube video you find (I subscribe to her channel btw so that was quite amusing you picked that one!) wasn’t my point. I didn’t even watch the video but your reference to how it’s cooked with milk or water…only add to my point that Congee is NOT the same as British porridge. Which should be obvious but when people just throw around the word porridge when talking about rice cooker…it’s normally referred to congee.

ps my mum cook oats with water, so I knew that’s a thing already.

The more I think about it the more I’m unsure on how to cook British porridge with a rice cooker to get it to the consistency you would like due to the cooking cycle, hence I said you might need to play with the ratio.

Last edited:
Soldato

Its doable, just use the right amount of milk, I put a tad too much in yesterday. But then it's only 1/4 milk so not exactly creamy.

Soldato
(you thought/think rice cooker manufacturers are mis-labelling the product as UK porridge compatible when it may not be - got that.)

Porridge with water maybe the authentic (golden spurtle winning?) Scottish spartan/austere version, milk is much more luxurious,
really need a rice cooker with fuzzy logic that ramps the temperature slowly (or uses pwm) as opposed to just putting it on max, and turning off when the temperature overshoots and it boils over, perhaps the Zoj** ones achieve that.

Rice pudding too, uses milk, and a rice cooker that could do brown rice pudding, which easily takes an hour, even more, of simmering - I'd pay for that;
I usually add a beaten egg at the end stage of rice pudding too, with cardammom initially.

Caporegime
No, I’m not saying they are mislabelling it. They put porridge because congee is porridge, rice porridge.

i am saying we, the brits, should not mistaken it to mean British porridge.

Why? Because the algorithm is meant for rice porridge, not oats. Rice porridge takes much longer to do than oats.

Will it still work? Most probably, because heat + water + time will cook things. However, the question is how well it is compared to what you are used to.

hence in my first post on this topic I said you might need to play with the ratio.

Soldato
they are mislabelling by uk porridge definitions if they are selling the product in uk.

anyway, looks lke the Zoji** temperature control is pretty elaborate - I see what I would be paying for
https://www.researchgate.net/public...utomatic_induction_heating_system_rice_cooker

Rice was cooked in an automatic IH
system rice cooker (NP-GA05-XA, Zojirushi Corporation, Osaka, Japan)
The recommended (reported in
the user’s manual for the rice cooker) water-rice ratios (WRRs) were 1.5, 1.6, 1.5 and 1.9 for
well-milled rice (WMR), partially milled rice (PMR), germinated brown rice (GBR) and brown
rice (BR), respectively [23]. Initially, energy intake for WMR, PMR, GBR and BR was found to
be continuous for 0.7, 0.7, 0.9, 1.6 minutes, respectively. Afterwards, power intake was
discontinuous until 16.8, 22.5, 25.0 and 16.0 minutes for WMR, PMR, GBR and BR,
respectively, and appeared to be influenced by the cooking mode (i. e., form of rice). Again the
energy intake was found to be continuous from 16.8 to 22.2, 22.5 to 28.3, 25.0 to 31.0 and 16.0
to 22.5 minutes for WMR, PMR, GBR and BR, respectively. The temperature rose progressively
with power intake, reaching about 50°C. This period spanned approximately 18.0, 23.0, 25.0 and
17.0 minutes for WMR, PMR, GBR and BR, respectively. After this period, power intake was
continuous and the temperature rose sharply for all forms of rice, reaching about 100°C in 28.0
minutes with the exception of WMR. For WMR, the temperature reached 100°C in 25.0 minutes

brown rice temperature ... I'm definitely never doing that on the hob.
51732134703_23c5c4960c_o_d.jpg

Caporegime
You still don’t get it, they might sell it in the UK but if they mean rice porridge and they label it as porridge then it’s fine. It’s a product called a RICE cooker, so the fact that it labels a setting RICE porridge as porridge is logical, and should come first if you think about it for more than 1 second.

It is sold in the UK but anyone who get one of these should know the difference. It’s a rice cooker…it’s an expensive rice cooker to boot and if it come with any recipes booklet I’ll bet it will give you recipe for rice porridge for the porridge setting.

I know what you are trying to say, sold in British, so they should label it for the British market. Well, they are not, what are you going to do? Lol you can THINK they mean oatmeal…what you think doesn’t change the cooking cycle in the rice cooker one single bit unfortunately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
what is rice porridge, rice pudding? but less sweet?

Sort of. But more runny, it is topped with things like minced pork, peanuts, dried fish, thousand year eggs, spring onions etc. a breakfast meal.

or if you are sick, your mum would make it for you to eat because it requires no chewing. There is also this Chinese philosophy that when you are sick, you should eat more cleanly and what is more cleaner than just white rice and water?

Soldato
No, I’m not saying they are mislabelling it. They put porridge because congee is porridge, rice porridge.

i am saying we, the brits, should not mistaken it to mean British porridge.

Why? Because the algorithm is meant for rice porridge, not oats. Rice porridge takes much longer to do than oats.

Will it still work? Most probably, because heat + water + time will cook things. However, the question is how well it is compared to what you are used to.

hence in my first post on this topic I said you might need to play with the ratio.
B..b.b.b.but

So they are raving about those are are made for their Market.
:p

Caporegime
Note how the rest of the world, or in this case, the Japanese, call British porridge "Steel Cut Oatmeal".

Porridge in this instance is Rice Porridge, or Congee, but the word that I call it in Cantonese, which is specifically mean rice porridge is 粥.

I won't try to pronounce it, that's not the point.

The WHOLE point (and like for the 5th time) is that if you get a Zojirushi, note that the porridge button is not what you think it means and you might need to play with the ratio a bit. I am only trying to raise your awareness to pre-empt some cooking mishaps because I know the existence of rice porridge and eat it often, and I also eat British Porridge often.

JDp9TUj.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Steel cut oatmeal - is different to the ubiquitous british porridge ingrediant rolled oats /RO
in UK steel cut typically called pinhead , they are like grains of rice and take as long for cooking, for me, versus RO which are <15mins.

Zoji/congee and yum yum/oatmeal porridge cook times both seem to be an hour which seems way too long for RO, & wouldn't be al-dente
https://a4n7f9u4.rocketcdn.me/uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/07/Kumo-YUM-EY10-Manual-EN.pdf

I had found the buywholefoods organic oats tastes a bit better, than regular,
perhaps that's psychological, but, typical organic 50% premium is hard to justify.

51299895176_c082eb4150_c_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom