Rice / Rice Cookers / Meal Prep

Caporegime
I know rolled oats porridge don't take any hour...I did say that too and why I said you need to play with the ratio and why I brought it to attention that the button for porridge is not what you think it is, as pointed out from the Zojirushi website.

Rolled oats, Steel cut, it's still oats, it's not rice. It's different grain, OBVIOUSLY.

I feel like i am just repeating myself now. Just know that Porridge button is for rice porridge, as stated on the website.

Soldato
we want to get to the bottom of their porridge capability with different style of oats - steel cut cooks like rice - tough cookies, I use them 3 times a week,
the 3kg bag I bought is taking some getting through.

.. on the other hand I cook rice maybe once every couple of weeks, often for kedgeree or egg rice, where, rice cooker is also less useful, as you want to cook through other ingredients, once the rice is cooked , so doing it on a hob with more power is more efficient.

Soldato
Guys,

Does anyone have any good links to rice cooker recipes?

I'm finding it a real chore to get basic, simple instructions for things like rice and peas/ rice and kidney beans etc? Either they don't exist or I'm searching the wrong terms.

Caporegime
Guys,

Does anyone have any good links to rice cooker recipes?

I'm finding it a real chore to get basic, simple instructions for things like rice and peas/ rice and kidney beans etc? Either they don't exist or I'm searching the wrong terms.

Rice cooker will be used to make plain rice 99% of the time.

the other uses for it would be things to go with your meal, using the rack to steam dishes. I would avoid putting vegetables in it unless you want it to overcooked and turn out like mush.

Like this, which is a classic.

https://chineserecipesforall.com/recipes/view/pork-ribs-in-black-bean-sauce-rice-cooker-recipe

You can, replace the water with chicken stock to give the rice a base flavour. I have been doing that with some ham bouillon that I have lying around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rice cooker will be used to make plain rice 99% of the time.

the other uses for it would be things to go with your meal, using the rack to steam dishes. I would avoid putting vegetables in it unless you want it to overcooked and turn out like mush.

Like this, which is a classic.

https://chineserecipesforall.com/recipes/view/pork-ribs-in-black-bean-sauce-rice-cooker-recipe

You can, replace the water with chicken stock to give the rice a base flavour. I have been doing that with some ham bouillon that I have lying around.
Thanks - I can see that, the Zojirushi recipe list is quite funny. Lots of elaborate recipes but the only involvement of the rice cooker is the rice itself :p.

I guess what I was looking for was uses for the "mixed" button on the machine. I swear I have seen a few folk throw kidney beans or peas in?

Caporegime
Thanks - I can see that, the Zojirushi recipe list is quite funny. Lots of elaborate recipes but the only involvement of the rice cooker is the rice itself :p.

I guess what I was looking for was uses for the "mixed" button on the machine. I swear I have seen a few folk throw kidney beans or peas in?

You can throw anything into the rice. I sometimes put in a tin of mackerel (Korma flavour) and the whole rice cooked with curry flavour with the mackerel embedded in it. That makes an easy, cheap and healthy meal. Can put in some frozen peas too if you want.

Anything you throw in will get cooked, but know that it will get to 100c long enough to cook raw pork so any veg will be overcooked. Not a problem for things like beans but peas will be not be green and carrots will be mush.

Soldato
Just to revive this slightly. I'm after a rice cooker to get out of the lazy habit of buying those pots of veetee rice.

Has anyone used a Ninja Foodi/Instant pot for rice cooking? Feels like it'd be useful to have all the other options too.

*For note, i am definitely not a rice expert, just someone who's useless at cooking rice in a pan 8 times out of 10

Soldato
Just to revive this slightly. I'm after a rice cooker to get out of the lazy habit of buying those pots of veetee rice.

Has anyone used a Ninja Foodi/Instant pot for rice cooking? Feels like it'd be useful to have all the other options too.

*For note, i am definitely not a rice expert, just someone who's useless at cooking rice in a pan 8 times out of 10
Not as good as doing it in a pan of you ask me, just get a rice cooker a look on Yum Asia.

Soldato
Cheers. I've gone with the lower Yum Asia Kumo. I was considering the Sakuro and then standard scope creep to the Bamboo, but for us i think the Kumo will be sufficient.

Might consider an Instant pot style thing in the future though as a decent steamer would be good for veg. I'm not a big fan of boiling it.

Soldato
Cheers. I've gone with the lower Yum Asia Kumo. I was considering the Sakuro and then standard scope creep to the Bamboo, but for us i think the Kumo will be sufficient.

Might consider an Instant pot style thing in the future though as a decent steamer would be good for veg. I'm not a big fan of boiling it.
I have the Kumo it's spot on. Let us know how you get on with it. I love the simplicity and convenience.

I have an Instant Pot Pro Crisp as well, rice in that is rubbish compared to the Kumo.
It's great for other things though, potatoes for mash in 2 minutes.
Does Sous Vide pretty well as well.

Soldato
Caporegime
I was eying up this one just because it's cheap

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Instant-Pot-Duo-Gourmet-9-in-1-57L-Multi-Pressure-Cooker/p/9146

However i think the air frying function would be useful (we borrowed my mother in laws Actifry once and liked it), so it would make sense to combine everything into one rather than cheaping out and missing out on functionality.

I have that instant pot and also a dedicated rice cooker and air fryer, the difference on the rice to me is night and day. Your taste buds might tell you otherwise.

I wouldn't get an instant pot for rice if rice is your main aim. If pressure cooking is your aim and rice secondary then that's more the angle i would approach it from.

There are a lot of videos online looking at the capability of the instant pot doing rice and air frying.

Soldato
Still looking for one that will do pinhead/steel-cut oats ready for breakfast - none of the rice cookers seem to have a versatile delayed, cook for just 20-30mins option;
quinoa might be interesting too, which doesn't take much more cooking, but I usually put some sauteed onions/celery in first.

Ideally there would be a cooking pot, with app, where you just specify the temperature/duration, and delayed start

Caporegime
Still looking for one that will do pinhead/steel-cut oats ready for breakfast - none of the rice cookers seem to have a versatile delayed, cook for just 20-30mins option;
quinoa might be interesting too, which doesn't take much more cooking, but I usually put some sauteed onions/celery in first.

Ideally there would be a cooking pot, with app, where you just specify the temperature/duration, and delayed start

Thermomix?

Back
Top Bottom