rickjames the n00b

Soldato
OP
Workout B 17/11/15

Squats 5x5 @ 40KG

OHP 5/5/5/4/4 @ 27.5KG

Deadlift 1x5 @ 55KG

As expected those last two OHP sets are killing me, if I'd have tried I'd have dropped almost immediately. Mostly in the upper arms where it's got nothing left in there. Will be pretty bummed if I fail it next week already.

Recorded another squat form check, will upload later tonight...

Last edited:
Soldato
The real experts will chime in I'm sure but in the meantime...

Deads - your hips and shoulders don't come up together, drive through your heels more
Squats - your chin is tucked onto your chest but looked ok to me.

Soldato
Squats, chin up. Looking like you're lacking confidence, but having your head down will make you lean forwards and bend your spine. Straight ahead or look SLIGHTLY up to encourage a more neutral position.

Bench, have your grip a bit wider, looks pretty close grip which is working the triceps more. You want your pinkies on the ringlets (part of the bar that isn't knurling/grippy bit) or an inch inside of this. When you're pressing, think that you're squeezing your elbows towards each other, contracting your pecs in the process.

Man of Honour
What MoNkeE suggested for squats:

- chin up and big chest to keep the weight over your heels. You are currently tipping forward and using your quads which is why your hips come through AFTER your body gets to the top of the movement.
- slow down. Getting everything balanced and in line will actually make things a lot easier (believe it or not). Slowly down, keep core tight, balanced and weight over your heels, then explode back out.

If that makes sense...

I will look at the other vids but do not bench or (reall) deadlift...

Soldato
OP
Workout B 17/11/15

Squats 5x5@ 40KG

OHP 5/5/5/4/4 @ 27.5KG

Deadlift 1x5 @ 55KG

As expected those last two OHP sets are killing me, if I'd have tried for the final rep I'd have dropped almost immediately. Mostly in the upper arms where it's got nothing left in there. Will be pretty bummed if I fail it next week already.

Recorded another squat form check, will upload later tonight..

Soldato
OP
I'm at work now trying to just take my mind off it, hopefully by tonight its gone and can just wait till Sunday. Might look at just taking a slightly longer rest period, was taking 90 seconds for the 3 I did OK and then 5 for those failed sets.

Soldato
That... Was.... Beautiful :D

Much much much improved. Get a video from behind (oo-er missus) next time so we can see what kind of travel you have on your knees.

Soldato
OP
Two thumbs up, encouraging stuff. Many thanks.

Forgotten about failing the OHP, just one of those things that's always bound to happen. Patience and all that...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll do some more reading and watch some other form videos to address it.

Also typical food intake on a regular day, generally change up during dinner.

Breakfast
2 eggs, scrambled
2 slices bacon
Orange juice

Mid-morning
Graze peanut and salted fudge pack

Lunch
Peanut butter sandwich on wholemeal x2
Strawberry/blueberry greek yoghurt

Mid-afternoon
Small mix of fruit/nuts or Belvita breakfast biscuits

Dinner