Ridley Scott’s The Martian

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Been avoiding all hype about the film as the audio book was very good.

However i am now feeling sad as i didnt know Ridley Scott was directing it. Nothing good will come of it.

Man of Honour
Not the version I read.

This might help :p

:Edit: Just watched the trailer, they reveal some things that were interesting to slowly read about, but nothing that detracts from the overall purpose of being a trailer for a movie.

I do, however, think that a much more effective trailer would've been rough clips of the opening scene, with him "dying" on mars, followed by an announcement and funeral scene, and then the only other thing shown being the quiet, accidental initial discovery that he is still alive. That would've done a much better job at teasing the audience to want to watch the movie, to find out what happened and how he could possibly have lived. The story has far less "action" than the trailer suggests, and I although they seem to have hit the visuals and the light heartedness of a lot of the book right on the head, I believe they've done it a small injustice with that trailer.

Soldato
I'm not sure I follow your logic?

Surely the line in the film still wouldn't have made sense, even if you hadn't read the book?

It sounds like you're basically saying don't read the book first, because it'll make a bad/average film seem even worse.

The point I was making is that the Martian is an excellent book, well worth reading - as was World War Z.

But World War Z was a terrible film and would have probably put a lot of people off reading the book, if they hadn't already read it first. Having read the Martian, I would definitely recommend reading it, but because I can't see the film doing it justice (I hope I'm wrong), then that's why I'd say read the book first and don't risk having a potentially bad/average film spoil an excellent book for you.

I get that you can only experience a 'story' for the first time once, and without seeing/reading both you can't be sure which you'd have preferred to experience first - but having read the book, I can say it is very good. We can only speculate on the film, but a very high bar has already been set, so it'll struggle to beat the book (imo).

Sorry , only now getting back to this ... my post didn't quite make sense.

Basically in the book , Soran is interrogating Geordie . And his heart stops several times.

In the movie Soran says something about " his heart just wasn't in it" , which is reference to him interrogating Geordie . But that scene of him doing that is not in the movie , and no hint of it even happening.

Don

:Edit: Just watched the trailer, they reveal some things that were interesting to slowly read about, but nothing that detracts from the overall purpose of being a trailer for a movie.

I do, however, think that a much more effective trailer would've been rough clips of the opening scene, with him "dying" on mars, followed by an announcement and funeral scene, and then the only other thing shown being the quiet, accidental initial discovery that he is still alive. That would've done a much better job at teasing the audience to want to watch the movie, to find out what happened and how he could possibly have lived. The story has far less "action" than the trailer suggests, and I although they seem to have hit the visuals and the light heartedness of a lot of the book right on the head, I believe they've done it a small injustice with that trailer.

That's the trouble with modern trailers, I only watch teaser trailers now.

Makes me avoid the cinema to make sure I don't see a show you the whole story and all spoilers trailer for another film :/

Associate
Sorry , only now getting back to this ... my post didn't quite make sense.

Basically in the book , Soran is interrogating Geordie . And his heart stops several times.

In the movie Soran says something about " his heart just wasn't in it" , which is reference to him interrogating Geordie . But that scene of him doing that is not in the movie , and no hint of it even happening.

It's pretty clear in the movie he'd been interrogating/torturing him? What with the scene of him being strapped into a big dentist like chair semi naked and not in good shape...

Soldato
Read the book on holiday. Very much enjoyed it, a little "numbery" in the beginning but it pulled itself together. Hope it comes to the big screen well.

"look, boobies" made me laugh so much one morning, trying to explain to the other half why I was laughing :D

Soldato

Wasn't in the version I read either, any chance of a reference so I can see what the difference is?

Soldato
Book is really good, I read it in 2 days and its a long time since i did that.
If they don't go too Hollywood on it and mess with it then it should be fine.

Its a book that should transfer well into a film unlike World War Z, which was always going to be impossible to make into a good film. so in the end they didn't bother and just made a film using the title.

https://m.xkcd.com/1536/

Soldato
The point was , the line made no sense. As the scene was not in the film.

Yes it was cut from the film to ensure the rating, iirc.

This looks pretty good, however after the mess that was Prometheus I'm not holding much hope. He has some truly great films and a fair few stinkers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished the book and really enjoyed it.

Isn't there a danger in the film that the character will have to keep talking to himself to get across the technical/engineering reasons that he's doing stuff?

He has to, because so much of the book is his internal monologue explaining what he is doing and why. The trailer shows this as a video log/diary in case anyone finds him afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom