Ridley Scott’s The Martian

Soldato
I loved this book and as soon as I read it I audibled it and listen which was even better. Now hearing Damon's voice instead of R.C. Grays has left me feeling a bit meh.

The book was awesome and I rate it up there with Jurassic Park as my SF favs.

"Please don't comment on JP as a book if you have only seen the film as the two bear no similarity."
As a book JP was way out there being written 25 years ago and still relevant.

Soldato
My 11 year old asked if he could read the book.

The first line of which is 'I'm pretty much ....' and then a swear word of the f variety.

Thing is he knows these words (from his mother mainly) so I let him read it, and he lloved it. All going to see the film tomorrow.

My son is 10 and I'm secretly reading the book to him swearies and all. ;)

he's just at the start and his fav quote so far is "my %%%%%%%% is doing more work than my brain"

Soldato
Just got back from a late night screening of it..

What can I say, a good film overall, but I found it lacking. I know they couldn't cram in everything from the books, but they skipped over a lot of story, which I felt detracted from the overall experience.

Worth the watch for sure, but as others have said, read the book for the story, watch the film for the pretties..

Soldato
Such a good movie, haven't seen sci-fi of this quality for a long while. My only gripe and it's a small one is the trip to the Ares 4 MAV was way too quick, but this is from a book reader. A few major things happen on the way I would have liked to see in the film.

3D was good and used well, added immersion and depth, the right way to use it. It was the same with Prometheus, Scott has an excellent understanding of how and when 3D should be used.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is it well worth reading the book first?

I don't think it matters which way round, the film does a very good job, but obviously lots has had to be cut out, otherwise it would be 10hrs53m long.
It's certainly worth reading the book at some point though, it's also worth catching the film at the cinema on a 3d showing.

Soldato
Really enjoyed it! First time i can be a snobby book reader too! Read it on holiday earlier this year :)

Was a great adaption imo! Couple of big bits missing and a lot of details skipped over but thats just a time constraint! As above fitting a book into 2 hours is no easy task

Soldato
Saw this on Friday, would recommend if you like Apollo 13 or are interested in space generally. Seemed like a great advert for Nasa :)

Soldato
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Basically Apollo 13 meets Gravity meets Gaurdians of the Galaxy (yes, really!) with a touch of style taken from Interstellar. But all in a good way.

Soldato
I'd say so - although I listened to it on Audible (twice!) before seeing the film and I think it helps flesh the story out much more as they cut quite a few good bits from the film!

No Pirate Ninjas :(

Aw....

I'm also half way through my second listen.

Some of the one line log entries are still making me laugh.

How does the film go do we see a lot of the log entries.

It's not out yet in Belgium.

I can't imagine them cutting any of the scenes in the race to MAV4 the storm his process to counter it and the rolling of the rovers are big events in the book

Soldato
Aw....

I'm also half way through my second listen.

Some of the one line log entries are still making me laugh.

How does the film go do we see a lot of the log entries.

It sort of simplifies them, but it's where a lot of the humour comes from.

It's not out yet in Belgium.

I can't imagine them cutting any of the scenes in the race to MAV4 the storm his process to counter it and the rolling of the rovers are big events in the book

That's all gone. Watney just leaves Hab 3, and then the next thing is he arrives at Hab 4. It's the biggest ommission of the film.

Caporegime
for the audience and pacing of a movie (as opposed to a book), Watney has already overcome enough challenges and obstacles by that point of the movie and the movie is ready for the last Act, which is the space rescue. To add another obstacle and setback would severely jeopardise the pacing, and ultimately adding nothing more to the story.

Back
Top Bottom