Ridley Scott’s The Martian

Caporegime
Bbfc insight refers to two F words, a few other bits of bad language, injury detail and "tension". It's a 12A, so I'm sure a 13 year old would manage.

I've not seen it yet, though, so no personal experience.

Associate
My 11 year old asked if he could read the book.

The first line of which is 'I'm pretty much ....' and then a swear word of the f variety.

Thing is he knows these words (from his mother mainly) so I let him read it, and he lloved it. All going to see the film tomorrow.

Associate
Film was decent but felt it lost a lot of the humour and tension that the book managed to carry so well. Also the earth sections felt quite disjointed and I just wanted those scenes to end to get back to watching Watney. Solid 7. Book was a 9

Soldato
Loved it, a solid 8/10 for me (film)

Watched it in 3D - I like 3D, but so many films have it for the sake of having it. This film uses is very well - the landscapes look superb.

Soldato
Phones were confiscated and G4S security were in the cinema for the preview. First time I've experienced that!

We didn't get phones confiscated, just had to switch them off in front of security before entering the theatre and they had people inside, and it was an instant removal if they saw a screen light up.

Going a little off-topic here, but wow, never seen that before. I'd be amazed they'd even be allowed to confiscate your phone - they're not the police after-all. At most they could just say if you're on your phone then they will throw you out.

Soldato
I'm bored, so going to walk to cinema and watch it like a loner, as everyone else is at work.

Do it, it's a great film.

We went to an Odeon in Newcastle, yesterday at 7pm (which I thought would be heading towards peak time), and there was maybe 12 people in the showing. I found this strange considering it's a 'big' film. Perhaps I just went to a quiet cinema?

alx

alx

Soldato
Going a little off-topic here, but wow, never seen that before. I'd be amazed they'd even be allowed to confiscate your phone - they're not the police after-all. At most they could just say if you're on your phone then they will throw you out.

They can't force you to hand over your phone, but it's not your cinema so if you don't I imagine they can just refuse you entry to the screen.

Soldato
They can't force you to hand over your phone, but it's not your cinema so if you don't I imagine they can just refuse you entry to the screen.

This really.
It's not against the law to take your own food and drink into a cinema - however as the cinema is private property, they can simply refuse you entry if you don't comply with the rules.

At our early screening they just had someone at the door watching you switch your phone off - I expect too much hassle involved with taking phones away etc.

Man of Honour
And this is why I rarely go to cinema, ticket, glasses, coke, maltesers £21 at least there's only 3 off us in here at the moment.

Associate
Saw the film yesterday. It was good - definitely worth a watch. However, having read the book previously I'd some it up this way: read the book for the story, watch the film for the spectacle.

Man of Honour
Absolutely brilliant film, impressed with how they chopped it up. It's impossible to fir a ~15hr story into 90mins.
I didn't mind the earth scenes at all, they were generally shirt and what was needed.

And finally a director having some clue how to use 3d, a must watch in 3d movie. For the most part it was all into the screen and worked well.

If you like the film, it's definitely worth reading the book as it expands a lot if things.

Caporegime
Saw this today and really enjoyed it. Full of humour and tension. The 3D was good, though the master image 3d had some ghosting and bloom evident and it wasn't a patch on Imax Avatar, which was the last 3d film I saw before this one.

Definitely worth the 3d though, the above is just an observation.

Matt Damon did a great job and some bits are really amusing, but it really gets across the fear and despair you'd feel in that situation, without being over the top.

Back
Top Bottom