Rids - 283lb to Marathon - Let the journey begin

Soldato
Good work. 11 lbs in two months is still very decent progress and a healthy rate to be losing weight.

My net change over the last two months has been... gained a pound :(. Actually, gained six on a 2 week family holiday over easter and subsequently lost 5. Before the holiday my usual 1-2 lbs a week had tailed off to nothing.

Slow progress is much better than no progress!

Soldato
OP
Good work. 11 lbs in two months is still very decent progress and a healthy rate to be losing weight.

My net change over the last two months has been... gained a pound :(. Actually, gained six on a 2 week family holiday over easter and subsequently lost 5. Before the holiday my usual 1-2 lbs a week had tailed off to nothing.

Slow progress is much better than no progress!

Yeah I feel your pain there, if I have a night out on a friday I'll undo any progress I've made in the last couple of weeks.

I got stuck around the 14 stone 3 mark for along period of time. The only way I managed to kick through it was to get myself down the gym and increase the amount of calories I was burning.

Brace yourselves people, its time for the photos. Here is a photo taken from my daughters christening in February 2014. Warning contains photos of large mammal, possibly a beached whale, and I don't mean the ex-wife.

ZFiLnOs.jpg

This is one taken in the work mirrior today.

tR43LWa.jpg

Soldato
OP
Right, time to ask some advice.

I've been hitting the gym 3 or 4 times a week recently, mainly just straight up cardio work as I was at an overcrowded gym and it was impossible to get near the resistance training stuff. I've now found a better, more expense gym so resistance training has definitely become an option.

I went out on the beers Thursday and Friday night and had far too much alcohol. At some point there was some enthusiastic shape throwing on the dance floor and it seems I tweaked something in my left knee. Didn't really notice it until I was walking to the gym the next morning and about half a mile in it started giving me some grief... its getting better, I'm managing to walk to the gym, do a 20 minute cycle and walk back before starting to feel the twinges but I'm dubious about doing much on it so its really starting to hinder me.

Because of the knee problem I decided on Sunday to do something else - I did my first proper resistance session. Now I've never really lifted in the past apart from some brocep work when I was just a lad, but I gave it a go.

Its now 60 hours later, and my god everything still hurts - I don't mean that in a bad way, like I've hurt anything, but that good muscle fatigue that lets you know you actually did something of value. But its been 2 and a half days... with me still trying to keep off my leg I find myself a little bit lost for what to do. Any ideas how I can either speed this recovery time up a bit so I can get back to resistance training, or suggestions for things to do before I can get back on my knee?

Cheers

Soldato
As your muscular condition improves, you will take less of a battering. If you're consistent with training you can work just as hard and it'll just give a slight ache the next day or so.

Initially starting resitance training, or taking it up after a long layoff, is always much worse than a few sessions in

One thing that may help is sticking to good form when lifting. If you're wobbling etc it may be worth dialing down the load a wee bit.

Soldato
Any ideas how I can either speed this recovery time up a bit so I can get back to resistance training, or suggestions for things to do before I can get back on my knee?

Cheers

It will just occur naturally. It may take 5 days now to recover from benching but in a month's time you'll be benching a heavier weight and it will only ache the day after (or not at all).

In terms of resistance training all upper body stuff should still be fine. Obviously deadlifting might be out due to "pushing" your leg/knee into the ground; just use a light weight to 'test' the movement to see if it will likely impact the knee before going bro mode.

In terms of working the legs with a knee problem I'm sure you could still use the machines to do:
calf lift
thingy lift for quads
thingy lift for hams
As these will require the knee to be used but should not put any undue weight/stress on them (using appropriate weight).

Just stay clear of squatting and leg press I'd suggest. ;)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, started to feel a lot better by Wednesday night and was absolutely fine yesterday. Got myself in for another upper body session. Let somebody talk me into tire flips... lets just say that was one hell of an experience.

I think I'm going to come off the calorie deficit for now and see how things go. I'll get the tape measure out and take some key measurements and use that as a basis to gauge my progress for the next 5 weeks.

Soldato
OP
What a truly ****e day.

Just got back from the gym, worst gym session I've had since I started going. Failed on weights and reps that I'd smashed out on Sunday, dropped weight and still failed. My diet has been on point all week, I've been really physced up to hit the gym hard and it just felt like I had nothing to give.

Not happy, not happy at all.

Man of Honour
What a truly ****e day.

Just got back from the gym, worst gym session I've had since I started going. Failed on weights and reps that I'd smashed out on Sunday, dropped weight and still failed. My diet has been on point all week, I've been really physced up to hit the gym hard and it just felt like I had nothing to give.

Not happy, not happy at all.

It happens don't dwell on it, I can actually have some of my best sessions when I felt like the last thing I wanted to do was set foot in the gym.

Man of Honour
It happens sometimes. The important thing is that you finished the session. Make sure you get plenty of rest in time for the next one and just go from there :)

edit: I somehow missed tom_e's post above...

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, first time I've experienced that. I'll just get my head down, recover and hit it hard again in a few days.

Associate
Don't beat yourself up too much.

The body will take time to adjust and recover. Make sure you are eating the right foods and getting enough sleep!

If you start to fail (we all have the off days) change it up. Go swimming, rack up some cardio or just do some bodyweight exercises. Try not to let the failure mentality get to you.

Soldato
OP
Time for another two monthly weigh in - really wasn't expecting too much from this one. I'd been eating at close to maintenance levels for a while as I've been going to the gym regularly and needed to bump up the calories to aid recovery. I've also been enjoying life far too much, far too many nights out for somebody looking to lose weight, so no big expectations.

13 stone 7lb - that's another 4lb off.

Pretty chuffed with that, I'm also considerably fitter. I can lift more, I can go harder and longer on the bike and it even feels like my shoulder is starting to sort itself out. I managed 20 lengths in the pool on Monday night without any twinges or the feeling it was going to pop out - that may not seem much, hell back when I was fit I used to bust out 150 lengths every morning, but given the trouble its been giving me over the years 20 lengths without instability is a big milestone. I could probably have gone for more but didn't want to overdo it and risk another pop.

I think the slower weight loss has also helped my body to catch up to the loose skin, I still have a small pocket around my stomach but its much smaller and less noticeable than it was.

So pretty slow progress, but its still progress, still grinding the weight down.

Another 7lb by the end of August would be good - but I'm more concerned that I continue to get fitter and stronger.

Soldato
OP
Trying to get away from the idea of using the scale to measure my progress, I've had my PT take a load of measurements for me. Throwing these up now as a basis for comparison after 10 weeks.

Height: 178cm
Weight: 85kg
Bodyfat: 24.4%

Upper Arm: 11.5 inches
Chest: 40.8 inches
Waist: 38.3 inches
Hips: 39.1 inches
Thigh: 21 inches
Calf: 16.7 inches

My goals for the next 10 weeks:
2 inches off the waistline.
Bodyfat to below 20%.
Transitioning from resistance machines to the Stronglifts program.

Soldato
Out of interest how did he measure body fat? I'd recommend you take some pictures for reference as the figure he has given is likely to be a bit of of a shot in the dark being honest.

Defy get on strong lifts ASAP :)

Soldato
OP
Out of interest how did he measure body fat? I'd recommend you take some pictures for reference as the figure he has given is likely to be a bit of of a shot in the dark being honest.

Defy get on strong lifts ASAP :)

He used calipers and some fancy spreadsheet. I'm aware it might not be the most accurate.

I've also got a picture now that I can reference in 10 weeks time. Fingers crossed we'll see some progress.

I did some Benchpress last night, was all over the place and at a much lower weight than I would "press" on a machine. I am now beginning to see what people mean about the issues with stabilization that you completely avoid by cheating and using machines. Having said that, my arms and shoulders are like lead weights today so it actually feels like I've worked.

Back
Top Bottom