Riff Tamson (here we go again !)

Soldato
OP
Update ! so I have been using this rig as my daily beater. Mostly because it's the quietest rig I have (600 RPM fans on the CPU rad for example and only two) and secondly because I just love this rig so much. It's built like a brick out house, has features that just rock (like a button on the back that lights up the entire back outside so you can see what you are doing).

Well the other day I thought I would take a look around to see what I could find in the CPU department. I firstly considered getting a 3930k or something but I was certain that it would be wasted in this board (X79 UD3) as it has pants phases and you can only get about 3.6 ghz or so before it craps its pants.

I was certain also that I had the Rev 1.0 board which is even worse than the 1.1.

Any way after a lot of research (and nearly making a terrible mistake !*) I found one of these on Ebay (note I drew this using the actual CPU to take everything from)

Jfvp0CF.jpg

OK so this is where it all gets a bit weird. It's called a QE5F. If you look around using that as a search word it brings you to a Xeon E5 2680 V2. However, the E5 2680 V2 is actually a ten core CPU, not 8 core. But this thing is called the exact same name and even has the 25mb of cache that comes on the 10 core model, but still only has 8 cores :confused:

Very strange. Any way, on Sunday (two days after I had ordered the CPU) I found out that it does not work on Rev 1.0 boards. On Gigabyte's site it says 2680 but if you look over to the right it says N/A. In other words it does not work. Why Gigabyte did this instead of just not listing the CPU god only knows.

So I was kinda worried that it would not work. I decided to get out my torch (flashlight) and have a poke around and I noticed it said Rev 1.1. I quickly went back to Gigabyte's support list and....

DrRr1z2.jpg

PHEW. So this made me happy. The CPU came today and I fitted it and... Well it works :D

So I ran some benchmarks.

Before - 2ghz boost on all 8 cores, Ivy EP.

BTvJHRq.jpg

Cinebench.

ub3zDZp.jpg

After, 3.1 ghz boost on all 8 cores. Ivy EP 25mb cache.

3t9VR2c.jpg

xWPMr7X.jpg

It's about 100 points short of a stock 5960x. Well, one that boosts to 3.3ghz. For £100 it's incredible..

Couple more benchmarks.

3DMFS regular (not Extreme)

GqRZTwx.jpg

3DM12 Time Spy

kzYKN8Q.jpg

So this rig has now become my daily rig. Just need 8gb more RAM when I am not so skint and it's not so blood suckingly expensive and I will be all set :D

*I thought I had a V1 board and did not read the chart correctly. Doh.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow thats crazy bang for buck performance there.

Yeah man. The problem is getting a board for them. There seems to be a few Chinese X79 floating around now for around £120 that seem to work OK. Look a bit ropey though !

I got this board for £53 inc. It was right at the end of X79 and they were practically giving the boards away. I could sell it for four times that much now it's just nuts !

Soldato
OP
Eight times that if you include cpu and ram apparently!

It's insane !

This is caused by Intel though. They go around handing out ES like they're sweets and then get all precious with their toys when it comes to actual retail CPUs. I can not believe that "mainstream" is still only four cores with HT. FFS, I can get an Ivy E 12 core that will fit in my board and work ! and those are about three years old yet they are about to release another quad core and call it mainstream.

Even six core retail chips are crazy money, no wonder people are going bezerk for things like the 2670 V1. That's what has driven up board prices. Stupid amounts of these Xeons are out there yet no one has the boards for them.

I did very well on the CPU. They are on sale in China for £130. Then you have tax, VAT and customs/courier charges on top of that. He wanted £170 (about what you would end up paying) but I just kept telling him that it's an ES so I can not legally sell it on (and I wouldn't either). Eventually he gave in :D

Soldato
OP
Something wet this way comes...

2VEKQCR.jpg

IvgUsBf.jpg

qrxmXwb.jpg

Pump included.

6CyhzhB.jpg

aEtwHAC.jpg

<3 OCUK sales :D

3BUOWjq.jpg

Just short a 120 rad and skint for a bit now but it's finally going to happen. The Fury X will be getting a real loop :)

Soldato
Here's an off the wall suggestion for you (I'm good at 'em!). Given that you have multiple computers and limited internal space and they're in a row and usually not all on at the same time, have you thought about making the cooling communal? You could move some/all rads outside (dedicated case?) and connect all PCs to parallel rails with QDCs so that you can disconnect one for maintenance without breaking the rest. Pumps could stay internal to each machine so you don't have issues trying to balance the flow to each and also they come on and off with each PC. </lunatic idea> :D

Soldato
OP
haha that's not a bad idea. Sadly I need them all separate just in case we ever move. I doubt I could take all three with me, so better to keep them as they are. We've got a really big flat atm. If we lose it we will never find one this big again.

Soldato
OP
Last (I think, because you can never be sure with water cooling !) order is in. Again I used OCUK and again I did some digging. First up I decided on a rad. Nice and fat, with multiport. This should really help on the return feed.

A8el3la.jpg

Not sure about the logo, makes me think of brushing my teeth. Will cover that no doubt.

To give it the Heatkiller look I bought this for £3, again last one on clearance.

AZ4JJdQ.jpg

I will not be running push/pull this time. There is just no point.

I bought two of these to cap the multiports because they are infinitely more attractive and were only £1.99 ea.

PwXkddd.jpg

And finally this was on sale for 99p.

9kHc0oA.jpg

Which should help a lot with the inlet into the rad. Or the return feed from the rad? not sure yet but I am pretty certain it will come into play at some point.

Other news.. Res/pump is here. Not tested the pump yet will do that today. Desperately needs cleaning as it's foggy, not sure if I have vinegar here.

Hose arrived, and made me LOL really hard. It's 11mm, I am used to 19mm. It looks like a straw haha.

For coolant I am (hopefully, providing it's OK and I have enough) going to use the green stuff I have. I will know if there is enough once I get it out, and even though the build has no green in it at all I just think it will look kinda cool. I dunno, it's only £8 or so for red if it looks stupid :)

Sadly my back is properly out. Was hoping it was a one off, but today I am in just as much pain as yesterday.

Nope, it's never truly over. Just bagged this lot for £9.40.

lJV0NJv.jpg

And X2 (rotary)

lqeWQjY.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Sand the rad down to bare metal, slap on some JB Weld nice and thin as a filler for that Colgate logo, sand down to a nice even finish and then repaint. My UT60 has a few dings and chips in it so that's my plan.

Soldato
OP
AFAIK I threw out all of the paint and leftover pieces of acrylic. I CBA buying more. Because the post office won't carry it you have to pay like £7 for UPS, making a single can of paint £12. Plus I will probably make a cover for it any way of some sort.

Realised yesterday I'd bought 8/11 fittings and 8/10 hose. Not good. So I have ordered some more hose. Rad and some of those bits should arrive today hopefully but I've put my back out and there is no way I am lifting that thing out for modding atm :(

Soldato
OP
Took the bay res and pump apart. Tested and braided the pump, took apart the bay after an overnight soak in vinegar. Reassembled.

pZzWApN.jpg

And what would you know? the XSPC holes line up with the Alpha's.

7CH4Lq3.jpg

Now whether or not they will still line up when both reservoirs are pushed together I have no idea. Sure I can come up with something, though. In the part between the two res (where you can see the glue lines for example) I will simply put a piece of vinyl. The aim is to see both res's fluid levels. As long as I can see that I will be happy :)

Soldato
OP
Finished.

no3o3dY.jpg

They will be fitted to the PC on the fly one at a time when I get access to it. I am going to wait until tomorrow before I start moving stuff around, or I won't be able to watch the footy today.

Soldato
OP
More done today. The first thing I did was take out the GPU and gut some of the wiring. It all needed to be moved in order to move the Tbalancer out of the way.

KAa04U8.jpg

I then had loads of problems with the res/pump. The entire back comes off (which is ace for cleaning) but it has a jet plate that sits in the sandwich. Turns out when I cleaned the res I put it back wrong, cue loads of messing around. Eventually I got it pumping/looping water though.

CvYLNkz.jpg

I will leave it pumping over night to make sure it's good :)

Here is the rig looking rather sorry for itself.

W4x2y4L.jpg

But at least work is under way :)

I also had a bit of a result. I ordered two of these.

PwXkddd.jpg

But I got this.

pAH74fJ.jpg

One is the correct part, the other is some sort of extension piece. No good to me, and I really needed a pair that match. So I posted on OCUK's customer service area and I have a pair of these winging their way to me :)

4mX4kOQ.jpg

Which I am chuffed with. Thankfully when I sold off all of my left over water cooling gear I kept the Orings which I have a selection of in black and white which should look nice :)

Thank you Bailey. OCUK really are the best when it comes to making their customers happy.

Soldato
OP
One annoying thing about a case not designed to do what you want it to do is that usually nothing works first time.

I started out at around 9am this morning and the first plan was to basically fit the rad, and the grille for the rad. Sadly the rad did not fit due to the drain plug on the bottom (it was hitting the case as it went in) and neither did the grille. I kinda had a feeling it was going to be one of those days.

So the first thing I did was cut the top off of the rad carrier. This allowed the rad (and the fan inside it) to shift upward to clear the drain plug. Sadly to do that took around an hour, and then I had to cut the fan holes so it too could slide upward.

OK so it fits now right? no. Because I had cut off the top of the rad carrier there was nowhere to screw it in, so it was tipping into the case. Bloody annoying that !!

The fix in the end was a slotted bracket (see in the close up).

NYJTJLL.jpg

So rad in time to start work.

64ffexY.jpg

Note the red PCIE cables? watch...

wAN27Y9.jpg

xxFCP9m.jpg

KWOvNBE.jpg

Plumbing should commence tomorrow...

Soldato
One annoying thing about a case not designed to do what you want it to do is that usually nothing works first time.

And one annoying thing about redesigning most of a case not designed to do what you want it to do so it DOES do what you want it to do is that usually nothing works first, second or third time :D

Feeling your pain dude, but always enjoy watching you work. Crack on!

Soldato
OP
And one annoying thing about redesigning most of a case not designed to do what you want it to do so it DOES do what you want it to do is that usually nothing works first, second or third time :D

Feeling your pain dude, but always enjoy watching you work. Crack on!

haha yeah I saw you were having lots of fun :D

Back
Top Bottom