Rimworld - strategy base building sci-fi indie game

Soldato
They are worth it in the long term, if only for mods requiring them.

But if your playtime is limited, definitely nothing wrong with vanilla, hell I'd imagine a good chunk of us in this thread started during early access, so can safely say vanilla is a complete experience, but the DLCs do add more.

For me the game was at it best just before the Ideology release and I didn't even have Royalty DLC then. I was really looking forward to Ideology and while it added some good stuff I found it underwhelming overall so much so that I bought Royalty and found it lot better than I thought.

Biotech for some reason doesn't really interest me, not sure I can be bothered with all the gene cloning.

the dlc dont go below 10% but i belive worth while.
20% for main game.
keep looking at getting the dlc's but they are a tad pricey for how much i play it at the moment

FYI if you're Humble Choice subscriber you get extra discount on Humble Store.
For me as long term subscriber with additional 20% off the final discounts are:
Base game 36%
Royalty and Ideology 28%
Biotech 20% - might actually bite

Think new subscriber get additional 10% so depending how many games you buy over at Humble store it might be worth to subscribe for a month.

Man of Honour
As it's on sale I decided to treat myself to this game today. I've only bought the main game do far, not any DLC. It's the only game I've bought this year. I'm working my way through the tutorial and while it seems quite involved, it does look good. It's incredible to think that most of this was written by a single developer.

Soldato
As it's on sale I decided to treat myself to this game today. I've only bought the main game do far, not any DLC. It's the only game I've bought this year. I'm working my way through the tutorial and while it seems quite involved, it does look good. It's incredible to think that most of this was written by a single developer.

RIP any time you were hoping to spend doing anything else. This game is like a drug...occasionally you feel like you've kicked it, then you're right back off the wagon again, it's 4am and you've still got a better table to craft and steel to mine so you can get power to the new prison....I mean, barracks.

Man of Honour
Well I've played my first game. It didn't go too well. It's definitely recommended for new players to play through the tutorial otherwise you would have no chance of understanding what to do. Into my first game, set on easy, I was keeping my head above water and improving my base. I fended off an attack by a psychotic rat (!) and an enemy raider. Then shortly afterwards a puma took out my pet. In revenge I sent one of my team to kill it but she was taken out by the Puma (she was the most useful member of my team) and it severely injured a second team member. So I think I'll start a new game. It takes a lot longer than expected to make progress but I can see this will be a lot of fun. I've really struggled to get any interest in games recently so it was nice to find it enjoyable.

Although I played the first game on my main desktop, the tutorial ran fine on my 2018 Thinkpad T480 (an i5 8th gen 8250u with only an integrated GPU). So it looks like it should run OK on most things.

I'll definitely be trying a second game soon.

Soldato
Well I've played my first game. It didn't go too well. It's definitely recommended for new players to play through the tutorial otherwise you would have no chance of understanding what to do. Into my first game, set on easy, I was keeping my head above water and improving my base. I fended off an attack by a psychotic rat (!) and an enemy raider. Then shortly afterwards a puma took out my pet. In revenge I sent one of my team to kill it but she was taken out by the Puma (she was the most useful member of my team) and it severely injured a second team member. So I think I'll start a new game. It takes a lot longer than expected to make progress but I can see this will be a lot of fun. I've really struggled to get any interest in games recently so it was nice to find it enjoyable.

Although I played the first game on my main desktop, the tutorial ran fine on my 2018 Thinkpad T480 (an i5 8th gen 8250u with only an integrated GPU). So it looks like it should run OK on most things.

Enjoy, jealous you get to experience it all for the first time :) Just a little hint try to keep wealth (ie don't build fancy flooring and luxury items) of your colony down till you have weapons and some defence set up. Even dead animals and enemies add to your wealth so worth setting up a stockpile in a water to put corpses in so they decay faster. Sometimes it's worth just to stay locked inside your base while there are manhunter animals on the map.

As long as you don't go crazy with mods you shouldn't have much trouble with performance. I run it on Steam Deck with about 100 mods and other than initial launch and loading into the game it run fine, even when docked using external screen.

Soldato
Returning to Rimworld after a long break.

Whats the best/most worthwhile mods for it nowadays?

DLC's worth it? I only own vanilla and have used mods in the past.

Soldato
RIP any time you were hoping to spend doing anything else. This game is like a drug...occasionally you feel like you've kicked it, then you're right back off the wagon again, it's 4am and you've still got a better table to craft and steel to mine so you can get power to the new prison....I mean, barracks.
thats were im at in Factorio... RIP free time and sleep..

yep its one of the good things baout it the low system requirements. its also the sort of thing you can oftern leave for 10mins at a time and do somethinbg else so its good also.
it'll take a few games to get in to a stable coleny and even then expect walk outs :D
for the psychotic animals i suggest preparing traps and trying to bait it to the traps, and/or staying inside is probably the recomended or mass fire power..

Associate
You will want to download Alien Vs Predator mod, includes USC Marines gear and Story. Last time I played, the whole base became quickly overrun with facehuggers. Zombieland is another recommended mod, zombie hordes and your colony stuck with sticks n stones is not a good start though...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Has anyone seen the Prison Architect 2 video? As you may know, Prison Architect 1 basically used the same sort of engine as Rimworld but I'm loving what they've done with the graphics in Prison Architect 2. Would really love to see a Rimworld 2 with this graphics style

Soldato
not sure. i think it will complicat or annoy you in game if your having to constantly rotate camera and stuff. i guess see how PA2 plays first.
at least with the top donw view it was all viewable and easy to get at.

Man of Honour
not sure. i think it will complicat or annoy you in game if your having to constantly rotate camera and stuff. i guess see how PA2 plays first.
at least with the top donw view it was all viewable and easy to get at.
That PA2 engine does allow for vertical building though, would be nice to not have to have all my Rimworld buildings being bungalows for a change :)

Associate
Looking forward to it but my mod list is going to take a thrashing.

Lost count of how many hours I've had out of this game, played it well before it hit steam, easily in my top 10 games of all time.

Back
Top Bottom