Ring Size Help (stop it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I have found the ideal christmas pressie for my wife, a white gold ring with an amber inset. She bought one from Prague a couple of years ago and she loved it but recently the amber fell out so I decided it would make an ideal chrissie pressie to replace it.

However, I can only find a ring I like online and they won't return it if it is the wrong size - problem I have is I don't know her ring size (no tittering at the back please! ;) )

Is there an easy way of determining a persons ring size ( I said NO tittering!!) without asking that person and giving the game away?

I could probably go take one of her rings to a jeweller and ask what size it is but unless I am buying a ring then they probably wouldn't like it. Unfortunately, the ring I have seen takes 10 days to be delivered so I haven't much time and I won't have time to goto a jeweller until next week now.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Can i just Giggle childishly at the title for the next 30 mins please. :D

Steal an old ring of her and get it measured or ask her mum if she knows her size. JD.

Associate
OP
malc30 said:
Can i just Giggle childishly at the title for the next 30 mins please. :D

Yes you can, cos I am !

malc30 said:
Steal an old ring of her and get it measured or ask her mum if she knows her size. JD.

I haven't time to goto a jewellers now before next week and by then it would be too late.

Damn...her mum...good idea...wish I had thought of that...Thanks :)

Soldato
When she's asleep slide your finger in?

Plenty of places will help you out, most high street jewellers will give you a ring for you to return for the correct size when you have popped the question.

Good luck with it though

Soldato
Something else to consider is that you can get a ring's size altered, so if it's a little too big your local jeweler should be able to make it fit.

Associate
OP
great advice said:
When she's asleep slide your finger in?

ROTFLMAO - People at work looking at me weirdly now!!

great advice said:
Plenty of places will help you out, most high street jewellers will give you a ring for you to return for the correct size when you have popped the question.

Yeah I know but I ain't got the time now and it isn't an engagement ring.

Associate
OP
Makavelli said:
If you know someone that has a digital vernier (measuring device) then you could just measure the ring yourself and google ring measurements.

Why is the obvious always such good advice? And why don't I ever think of the obvious?

I don't have a vernier but I do have rulers. Just have to make sure I measure for a slightly larger finger.

I have found a couple of sites with ring size charts which should help.

Thanks guys

Soldato
You can't resize amber rings down as you have to de-set the amber, which is no easy task without damaging it. Depending on the piece, stretching them can also be a pain.

It's good advice to take another ring to a jeweller, as this is the only way to get it right. They don't know you're not buying a ring, and any jeweller will size a ring for you.

I do have some inside information on this, so feel free to e-mail me (in siggy) or MSN, and we can have a chat.

Associate
Its quite a difficult job finding out ring sizes. I don't even know what size my own fingers are. The fingers sizes are laid out with letters, i think a being the smallest size and z being the largest. I know blokes in the past that have taken an existing ring, got a piece of string or paper and cut it to the size of the circumference, then taken that to the jewellers? The internet will be the hardest place as you def need to know in advance the letter for the finger she wears it on?

Sorry thats not much help really?

Soldato
Libs said:
Its quite a difficult job finding out ring sizes. I don't even know what size my own fingers are. The fingers sizes are laid out with letters, i think a being the smallest size and z being the largest. I know blokes in the past that have taken an existing ring, got a piece of string or paper and cut it to the size of the circumference, then taken that to the jewellers? The internet will be the hardest place as you def need to know in advance the letter for the finger she wears it on?

Sorry thats not much help really?

Actually, Z is nowhere near the largest :)

You have Z+1, Z+2, etc........

Soldato
Gilly said:
Are you sure you can't return it?

Isn't there something in the distance selling doofer that'd allow you to?

Once an item becomes "custom made" isn't it exempt from the Distance Selling regulations?
I'm sure that is a condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom