Riots in Tottenham, London! (NO RACIST COMMENTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
What the police need are greater powers. Also, what happens to the places that have now been left relatively unprotected?

Police have sufficient powers but they fear litigation more than being bricked and stoned.

All forces have contingency planning and while officers will be seconded away, cops on rest days can backfill. No real worries there.

Associate
hmm...so many lies already told about his death that i will honestly not be surprised if he didn't even have a gun

if he did point a gun at police then fair enough he deserved to be shot but why the lies about him shooting at them first and hitting the radio etc.

They confirmed this morning that he did have a real gun. As for everything else we don't know, everything is just speculation and the Guardian bandwagoning every rumour that pops up.

Soldato
Water cannon is useful for concentrating rioters into one area and then contained. However, we also need a plan for what happens when they are there.
We're getting very hung up on water cannon, and I think another thing we haven't really touched on is that it's highly likely that NI wouldn't be that happy about providing one of their 6 assets to London. I understand there are still major marches planned and I doubt they'd want rid of a major asset during that time.
What happens in NI isn't what is happening in London. Over there it's a group v group thing, over here it is not. You are comparing apples and oranges and suggesting that you can use the same tools to combat the problem. You can't.
Theirs no way you'll get anything from NI.
But you are complicating things if you think a mob/riot mentality is all teh different, its not, in NI its not a group vs group thing a lot of the time, its a group vs the police. Because teh RUC/ PSNI took the fight to the rioters, not standing at one end of teh street doing what ever they wanted to do.

Soldato
hmm...so many lies already told about his death that i will honestly not be surprised if he didn't even have a gun

if he did point a gun at police then fair enough he deserved to be shot but why the lies about him shooting at them first and hitting the radio etc.

The police didn't actually say that, something which I pointed out very early in the thread, only to be meeted by people saying, "what else do you think happened". they criticised the bbc for not mentioning in headlines that he was shot after firing at the police, in order to make him look less innocent/more guilty.

Soldato
We know there will be 16,000 police tonight, but how many were there last night? I've not seen any information on how many more this is?

Soldato
Geez, a couple of little riots and all of a sudden people lose their sense of humour. :eek:

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm only a 3rd generation Aussie, and my father was an English immigrant. :)

The weak Met response is surprising. For years we heard of increased police powers under Labour, and witnessed the brutality of the cops kicking nine kinds of hell out of peaceful climate change protesters (not to mention Ian Tomlinson, RIP). But now there's a real riot, they've proved about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

The irony is palpable.

Knowing someone who works for the police in Birmingham, he blames 'ridiculous' re-structuring (read: cutting) and reduction in police kit, police numbers and police training which makes any proper response impossible.

For example, the Birmingham 'rapid' response team are now located in Warwick, which is bloody miles away! How is that smart restructuring ?
About 60% of the police are specials (ie: volunteer) in the area, which is fine for 'regular situations as Birmingham patrols of 3 are usually 1 proper police to 2 specials, but its just not enough for the kind of drama we saw last night.

If the London Met have had similar 'smart' restructuring then god knows how they have been coping so far

Man of Honour
The weak Met response is surprising. For years we heard of increased police powers under Labour, and witnessed the brutality of the cops kicking nine kinds of hell out of peaceful climate change protesters (not to mention Ian Tomlinson, RIP). But now there's a real riot, they've proved about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

The irony is palpable.

It isn't surprising at all.

Have microscopes from the likes of Liberty shoved up and breed an air where police are far more fearful of litigation than they are of bricks and missiles.

Take away that cloud over them and let them get on with it and the Met and other forces can do the job.

You reap what you sow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom