RIP Lawnmower, Hello Artificial Grass

Soldato
I like the patio and beds, but hate artificial grass sorry - it looks like a 1980s greengrocer. :D

But it's not something that will be too difficult to change in the future, and as someone said would be great with a robot lawnmower and turf. I'd maybe have got the fence on the right fully redone (assuming it's yours as a couple of panels were replaced) as it looks all over the place.

How long did the work take?

Soldato
I like the patio and beds, but hate artificial grass sorry - it looks like a 1980s greengrocer. :D

But it's not something that will be too difficult to change in the future, and as someone said would be great with a robot lawnmower and turf. I'd maybe have got the fence on the right fully redone (assuming it's yours as a couple of panels were replaced) as it looks all over the place.

Funny you mention that - someone living near a family friend must have had astroturf in the late 90s and it is legit the green grocer style stuff.

Permabanned
OP

Just over a month, on and off, some materials were quite hard to source and there were some delays. Was hard to get the rear fence posts/kick board things, concrete, sand, a load of the tiles turned up smashed!

Will swap the older fence panels out next so they all match at least but not going to redo the whole lot. :)

Soldato
Same with kids, have to be very careful to not let them on it barefoot if its been in the sun for a while.

I've heard this before. But I wonder whether it's related to the quality somehow? The length of the fibres?
I did some checking shortly after ours was fitted, and it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as - for instance - the patio stone right next to it.

Neither child not dogs have ever suffered any discomfort from it.

Permabanned
OP
Will check next time its hot. :) Unsure on quality, it feels great to me, from a company called Quick Grass. Had a sample pack and just picked the one we liked, it was £29 m2. Did not look elsewhere to compare prices/quality.

Associate
I’ve had artificial turf in the back garden for 6 years now. It’s brilliant. Clean and dries fast. We use the garden even more now because of those facts.
I don’t Hoover it or perform any maintenance other than pulling the odd weed out or kicking the occasional dried bird poo into touch.

Have to laugh at all the tree huggers banging on about plastic etc. My turf is recycled, it doesn’t need fertiliser, or mowing. (And if any eco warrior wants to debate that, if you have have kids don’t even start as they are the biggest threat to the environment ever haha)

good job with the garden. Looks ace.

Soldato
I’ve had artificial turf in the back garden for 6 years now. It’s brilliant. Clean and dries fast. We use the garden even more now because of those facts.
I don’t Hoover it or perform any maintenance other than pulling the odd weed out or kicking the occasional dried bird poo into touch.

Have to laugh at all the tree huggers banging on about plastic etc. My turf is recycled, it doesn’t need fertiliser, or mowing. (And if any eco warrior wants to debate that, if you have have kids don’t even start as they are the biggest threat to the environment ever haha)

good job with the garden. Looks ace.
Ignorance isn't bliss, although it is for some.

Soldato
The point isn’t the plastic, it’s that even a well kept lawn is a good habitat for insects that other species like birds feed on. In reality almost lawns aren’t well kept and are an even better habitat for said insects.

There is a flock of young starlings living in a very unkept section of council owned hedging which separates my back garden from a park behind. I regularly have 40-50 of them picking through my lawn in my compact ‘new build’ garden at various points of the day before moving onto the next one.

By hardscaping your entire back garden you are removing that food source. I get that some people can’t maintain a garden for lots of reasons and hardscaping makes sense and there’s balance that against removing habitat.

The OPs garden does look very tidy and I can see why you’d want to do it but it’s not for me.

Lawn maintenance isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of gardening if you are not fussed about having a bowling green. Leave it relatively long, I mow at 6cm every fortnight in the warm months and less often outside of that and it just tends to tick over nicely.

Weeding boarders etc is much harder work. Stuff like pots need watering daily when it’s hot.

Soldato
The point isn’t the plastic, it’s that even a well kept lawn is a good habitat for insects that other species like birds feed on. In reality almost lawns aren’t well kept and are an even better habitat for said insects.

There is a flock of young starlings living in a very unkept section of council owned hedging which separates my back garden from a park behind. I regularly have 40-50 of them picking through my lawn in my compact ‘new build’ garden at various points of the day before moving onto the next one.

By hardscaping your entire back garden you are removing that food source. I get that some people can’t maintain a garden for lots of reasons and hardscaping makes sense and there’s balance that against removing habitat.

The OPs garden does look very tidy and I can see why you’d want to do it but it’s not for me.

Lawn maintenance isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of gardening if you are not fussed about having a bowling green. Leave it relatively long, I mow at 6cm every fortnight in the warm months and less often outside of that and it just tends to tick over nicely.

Weeding boarders etc is much harder work. Stuff like pots need watering daily when it’s hot.

The fad of artificial grass is a tragedy for our wildlife.

other problems include too much hard landscaping and the complete loss of front gardens for driveways (because everyone needs at least two SUV’s to get to tesco) which not only ruins habitats but exacerbates the issues with localised flooding.

I’m no enviromentalist - far from it, but English gardens used to be full of insects, butterflies, hedgehogs and birds - now we are loosing native species at a terrifying rate.

artifical grass is a simply perfect example of yet another man made pollutant riddled disaster for our wildlife.

At least you don’t have to mow the lawn - heaven forbid.

looks tidy though and will no doubt be attractive to the gloss white kitchen brigade.

Soldato
Why would an eco warrior need to debate that your hairy plastic sheet doesn’t need fertiliser or mowing. What’s to debate about that, it’s pretty much obvious?
Or are you trying to imply that it’s in fact environmentally friendly because of those things?

Caporegime
Absolutely, I've eaten into the lawn with more flowers, I have a wild patch around the pond and stream area, wood piles to attract insects etc, don't rip out nettles butterflies love them. It doesn't have to be one big ugly mess to help promote insect and wildlife in the garden. While lawned areas aren't as good as meadows I've never seen a bird pull a worm out of artificial grass.

Nice to see this is becoming more popular. Nettles are amazing I'm soon going to be getting some planted myself

Soldato
I was sat in our garden today, watching both bumble and honey bees busy around the alpines in our border.

They didn't seem discouraged by the artificial grass.

The sparrows keeping an eye on my from the guttering didn't seem to be hovering on the edge of starvation either.

This thread seems to have gone the way of so many internet discussions these days - a thing is either exactly what you approve of, or it is evil incarnate.

Back
Top Bottom