RIP PS3, I hardly knew thee

Caporegime
It is with great sorrow that I report my 3rd PS3 (2nd Refurb) has died in it's sleep.

It began with the console shutting itself down immediately at random points and then flashing a red light.

Today, I noticed the red light was flashing despite the console not being used since yesterday when all was fine. So I attempt to turn it on again. Green light, fans start up, but then, a quick yellow flash then it cuts out and the red light starts it's strobe night again.

As I said, this is my 3rd PS3 console. It's a 60GB version which had been covered by Sony's now dead Continuous Play service. The console deaths went like this:

Faulty fans
YLOD
And now, if the internet is to be believed, either a power or overheating problem.

So, why not get them to replace the console again I hear you say? Well, here's the kicker. I cancelled the cover just a few weeks ago.

Checked the 'Dead Console' thread at the top of the forum but there is no PS3 info there. Anyone know which number I should call with regards to this?

I really can't afford a new console so I'm going to have to push for a free repair.

Thanks.

You need to find that letter that demostrates the unit isn't fit for purpose to get a free repair.

If this fails, seeing as a 320GB slim is still arond £250 new, then sony will repair one for around £100...

It'll be a refurb but they normally give a years warranty if you haggle and argue enough..

i've had a PS3 blu ray drive die on me... So I had to jump through hoops to get a replacement.

Just got through to them and they're quoting £130 for a replacement and won't budge on offering it for free.

Nice to know my 2 years of Continuous Play was appreciated.

It was £120 and only three months warranty the last time I phoned them. The guy asked if I had dropped it...

Try and get a slim out of them, you lose some great features but they seem to be a lot better made. *touch wood*

When was your last one replaced?

Think only 1 of my mates now has a working launchday 60 gig. Worse, unlike the 360, when the ps3 goes it seems to be terminal. Working fine, working fine, working fine... dead. One of my mates sent his off to sony, who posted it back with 'unable to be repaired'. Smashing.

It was £120 and only three months warranty the last time I phoned them. The guy asked if I had dropped it...

Try and get a slim out of them, you lose some great features but they seem to be a lot better made. *touch wood*

When was your last one replaced?

According to them, April 09.

Just got through to them and they're quoting £130 for a replacement and won't budge on offering it for free.

Nice to know my 2 years of Continuous Play was appreciated.

Charming. Last time I had to get a replacement they wanted £90. I haggled until I got them to accept £50 and my old unit plus I didn't accept the 3 month warranty. After numerous phone calls and speaking to a manager i managed to get 12 months warranty a few weeks after I'd got my replacement.

Mine is the 40GB model. Keep on pestering, at the least try and get a slim, as £130 is still half the cost of a new one.

I know not everyone can afford a new slim if their old PS3 breaks, but it seems their refurbs really do have a bad reputation of breaking after about 6 months at best. So a couple of refurbs later and you will be down over £200, which is practically enough to have bought a slim.

I would suggest saving for a slim as the refurbs will likely just keep on breaking.

I own both a PS3 and xbox 360, having suffered a dead member from each side, and whilst I usually prefer sony to microsoft, one thing I applaud microsoft for is increasing the warranty to 3 years on their original model xbox's (maybe other models too...not sure), whereas sony has kept just a 1 year warranty for their earlier models which have seemed to suffer from almost as many problems as the earlier 360's.

If its YLOD again then you could maybe buy a heat gun and have a go yourself. There's several tutorials on youtube, one I've seen is really good but can't remember who by.

Then again opening the beast up is not always for everyone, though it will only be what a repair shop will do should you find you can't do it or decide against it.

I'm going to try to get a console repair shop to repair it I think. The 'fit for purpose' route seems a lot of hassle.

Depends. You don't get anything unless you fight. you need to at least try a few more times with sony. Get a firm but not rude voice on the phone, demand to speak to a manager and explain you've had two of these refurbs now and you want a replacement for as little outlay as possible, keep pestering until they put you through. the normal line is that he's out etc..

Demand to speak to the next avialable line manager, as they always have someone managing these call centres. They just follow a script, until you get to a manager you'll not get anywhere.

the fit for purpose route also does work, but if you want your PS3 fixed quicker, then sadly the paid for repair route is the only option. Or slapping down £130 for a new refurb.

Depends. You don't get anything unless you fight. you need to at least try a few more times with sony. Get a firm but not rude voice on the phone, demand to speak to a manager and explain you've had two of these refurbs now and you want a replacement for as little outlay as possible, keep pestering until they put you through. the normal line is that he's out etc..

Demand to speak to the next avialable line manager, as they always have someone managing these call centres. They just follow a script, until you get to a manager you'll not get anywhere.

the fit for purpose route also does work, but if you want your PS3 fixed quicker, then sadly the paid for repair route is the only option. Or slapping down £130 for a new refurb.

I really find it hard though. I can actually hear my voice wobbling a bit when I'm trying to get something out of these tech support people. :p

never sort these things out on the phone! Just write a letter - the template is already there - so you just add info specific to your ps3 purchase.

never sort these things out on the phone! Just write a letter - the template is already there - so you just add info specific to your ps3 purchase.

I don't have proof of original purchase anymore though. Originally, traded my Wii in to get it.

And refurbs from Sony come with no paperwork.

So would I use it against Sony, or the original retailer?

You can argue that it is unreasonable for a £200-£300 bit of hardware to last on a few years, trading standards will back you up on this.

The problem with going this route is that you will be in for a fight :(

Edit: never mind i see you dont have the proof of purchase. :(

Back
Top Bottom