RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
...Overall, it doesn't work as Skeeter is explaining Android.

He's looking for something that hasn't been created yet. He knows that. It doesn't demonstrate anything. Other than taking a zillion comments to restate the blindly obvious.

BTW. Don't install the app, its brutal. Also stated previously.

Soldato
So it looks like Windows Phone sales have collapsed. I guess that's unsurprising when there's hardly been any new hardware for it.

CZ1tSgkVIAAOU7F.png

What's everyone's take on this? Are people going to miss Windows Phone? Personally, I've never been a fan but I'm sad that there's not a third platform left to keep Google/Apple honest. I'm also sad that this is effectively the end for 'Nokia' phones.

You might have missed this...

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_nok...ld_be_one_of_three_2016_models-news-15983.php

Soldato
the play store site better at sending apps to different devices. as i can send app to my android tv , s5, s2, tab 2 from the play store site

Caporegime
the play store site better at sending apps to different devices. as i can send app to my android tv , s5, s2, tab 2 from the play store site

It also only lists the app once, rather than a Phone version, Tablet version, Android TV version, etc etc..

Some might say that the apps are 'Universal' in the way they run across all Android devices...

Soldato

Yet doesn't mean I think WP will survive. I think its dead.

Theres a bigger picture, the windows eco system itself. It depends what you mean by universal apps. If you have windows tablet that runs metro apps, or classic desktop apps, you could consider that universal apps. No windows phone apps. But if that dies, then its not an issue. Microsoft have a long history of announcing products, technologies, that never see the light of day or that change name before they do.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Universal to me would mean a single App that operates across all devices supported within that OS's ecosystem.

For iOS its iPhones, through iPads and up to iPad Pros (what does Apple TV run?)
For Android its phones through small and large screen tablets and up to TV boxes
For Windows it should be everything running Windows 10. But its become evident that just because its all called the same, Windows Phone remains very different to its Desktop based cousins.

Android (more specifically, Google) and iOS have a consistent, 'universal' app ecosystem across their devices already.

Soldato
Well we haven't actually a full UA yet.
It really is more about Coding once and it works on all devices on W10.
So code once for PC and that basic code runs on Phone, Surface/Tablets, Console.
Their is still obvious tweaking for layouts etc, but I think they say about 90% of the initial code can be transferred over.

Also, as with everything, this is the first instance of it, so things like the Marketplace etc will all have to change anyways.

For now they are using these icons to let users knows theirs a version that works on Pc or Mobile etc.
Universal_icon.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Universal to me would mean a single App that operates across all devices supported within that OS's ecosystem....

RT is gone. If WP dies. Windows has that with Desktops and Tablets.

Not all desktop apps, IOS, Windows is suitable for mobile devices. If all your device are mobile you don't have those heavyweight apps. (or games). So it much simpler to have apps that run everywhere. They are just web apps.

Mobster
Soldato
Every time I post a reasonable comment I get a "you're an idiot" or "you're not listening" response which seems to suggest that the fans here don't actually have anything constructive to say, so they can only result to name-calling.

That's fine but I want to be convinced! Convince me!

Back
Top Bottom