RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
I'm very happy with my 640XL. It came in an oem box, with some slight marks (on the box) but the phone looks brand new.
The battery life is fantastic. .

My battery life was fantastic initially, it was lasting a good couple of days. Then I put my work email on there under Outlook with exchange activesynch, installed LINE, Instagram and Whatsapp, and throwing Windows 10 into the mix (not sure what effect that has) and now it barely lasts the day.

Caporegime
I don't use Paypal on my phone anyway so that in itself isn't a concern, only a concern if it becomes a trend.

Its a bit naive to dismiss a major service provider dropping support for Windows Phone as not a concern simply because you don't use it.

Well they said the corner version will have a sunset on it. M many are thinking they have a universal app on the way to replace it.

The articles and the blog post about it suggest its the OS thats being dropped from support, rather than specifically just that app. They are making a point of stating how they will now focus on iOS and Android.

Soldato
Death knell.

Windows Phone was dead once they moved away from the low end, about a year ago. That's where the majority of their user base was. No user base, dead OS. I'm still using mine. Still like it. But I'll probably have to move at some point.

I've never used Paypal on any phone. It would make no difference to me. Besides you could just use the website. Apps aren't that big a deal if you can use the website, most of which are mobile friendly. Only issue is if theres an app you really do need.

Soldato
It was always a big ask given the domination of Android and Apple combined.

As we know, people won't buy (generally) if the apps aren't there, and companies won't make the apps if there aren't enough users. Catch-22. The only hope really now is W10 universal apps. Companies make them for the W10 desktop, also make them available for mobile for little extra effort. Buyers see the apps arriving, and no longer rule out the platform as a purchase option. Theoretically. If positive momentum builds, then it feeds on itself. Problem is some apps really are just for mobile, you wouldn't run them on desktop, so the strategy doesn't work for them.

As I think I said earlier - at the moment Windows 10 mobile enables me to do everything I want to do and I have all the apps I need. So I can stick with it as the platform I like above all the others. In future though if it can no longer do what I need, then I move to Android, I don't have a problem with that.

Soldato
Microsoft could have turned around their phone business so many times, but they ignore the actual problems.

Yeah quite sad how poorly they've performed, I hear Nelson Bighetti got a huge pay off when they let him go earlier this month and he literally did nothing.

Soldato
I just got an email from Amazon saying that they're killing off their app mid-August. Then again, it was buggy as hell and wouldn't let me actually complete an order (internal error! Do not pass GO...) but it was useful for a quick "look-see".

Associate
Still no Win 10 update on my 640...........

Just checking koolpc, but that is using the "Upgrade Advisor" app isn't it? As far as I know with older WinPhones like your 640 and my 830 the only way to get it is through that app, if you are simply checking for updates and it says none available you'll never get it, ever.

If it is a specific rom like Voda or O2 you could possibly be using the Upgrade Advisor and they just haven't released it yet. Just checking anyway...

Soldato
Just checking koolpc, but that is using the "Upgrade Advisor" app isn't it? As far as I know with older WinPhones like your 640 and my 830 the only way to get it is through that app, if you are simply checking for updates and it says none available you'll never get it, ever.

If it is a specific rom like Voda or O2 you could possibly be using the Upgrade Advisor and they just haven't released it yet. Just checking anyway...

Thank will try that

Associate
Just checked and available. Cheers guys

You'll find that this is the production version, so it will be threshold, the same as the current version for PCs, 10586.494 is the current one that I received last tuesday for my PC and Mobile. It may not be .494 as when I used the Upgrade Advisor I had to go through two updates, it's slow and tedious but try to keep updating till you reach .494.

Once you are on W10M you can check for updates in the usual way and uninstall the Upgrade Advisor.

Two things for improving battery life in W10M is disconnecting Skype from messaging (It's in messaging settings), make sure you are signed out and another one that generally sucks up battery life is allowing Edge to work in the background, turn that off in the battery settings area. YMMV and doing this may not fit your needs but if you have horrible battery life I'd look at those two tips first.

Good luck, it'll probably be OK on the 640, there is a glitch with some 830s that is giving me and some others headaches...

EDIT: Also once on W10M if you hate it and want to get back to WP8.1 you can use the WDRT to rollback to it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom