RIP Windows Phone

Associate
Cheers........Updated and now updating to 494! Thanks

How to stop edge working in the background please?

Settings > System > Battery saver > Battery use[link] > Change background app settings[link]
Just make sure edge isn't allowed to work in the background, also uncheck any others you don't want to allow to work in the background

What's the glitch with the 830.

Screen tearing towards the top of the screen and random screen blackouts, for around a second. It doesn't affect all 830s but those that do like me have probably had it since day 1 of W10M, I know I have :(

I don't have that skype setting I assume because I uninstall it...

Are you sure? At the root of messaging, click the three dot menu at the bottom of the screen and you don't have "Skype setup"? I uninstalled skype but I've still got it, it uses "Skype video" in your app list and that can't be uninstalled. I'm on official .494 so no Insider Preview for me, maybe you are and on Redstone..?

Soldato
..Are you sure? At the root of messaging, click the three dot menu at the bottom of the screen and you don't have "Skype setup"? I uninstalled skype but I've still got it, it uses "Skype video" in your app list and that can't be uninstalled. I'm on official .494 so no Insider Preview for me, maybe you are and on Redstone..?

I have no 3 dots. Last thing I have in my messaging is Mobile and Sim menu under sim.

I'm on 10.0.14388.0 build version 1607 which should be the fast ring. Or whatever it is called.

Soldato
...Screen tearing towards the top of the screen and random screen blackouts, for around a second. It doesn't affect all 830s but those that do like me have probably had it since day 1 of W10M, I know I have :(

That doesn't sound promising. I was thinking of picking up a 830 to get a better screen and camera and people sell off their Windows Phone cheap. They are disappearing from the used forums.

I maybe be forced to a Moto G and its worse camera :(

Associate
I have no 3 dots. Last thing I have in my messaging is Mobile and Sim menu under sim.

I'm on 10.0.14388.0 build version 1607 which should be the fast ring. Or whatever it is called.

14388 is Redstone so it could be different...

That doesn't sound promising. I was thinking of picking up a 830 to get a better screen and camera and people sell off their Windows Phone cheap. They are disappearing from the used forums.

I maybe be forced to a Moto G and its worse camera :(

It's weird, you can have really good days where you virtually never see the blackouts and then it will rear it's ugly head and happen anything from a couple to half a dozen times, it's awful. The screen tearing is present almost all the time. When I rollback to WP8.1 it is completely fixed so it is definitely a W10M issue, the general consensus is that a firmware fix is required, which most people believe MS will never deliver, it's sad as I really like the 830...

Soldato
That puts me right off.

I'm getting so many MS requests for feedback, ( even though I had turned it off). I can only assume they are going to look at the bad feed back and quit all development. Thats how they justified dropping the older phones from the updates.

Soldato
Soldato
I really like the 950! Shame it doesn't seem to be working out for MS in the Phone biz. Just wish Linked-In would spend a bit of time updating the Windows app as it's naff. Today I have one news article that has a date stamp of 1/1/1970 :). Sometimes the app shows nothing at all.

Associate
Almost ready to give up on Windows Phone seriously.

Here's why:

* Large companies dropping support for their official apps (I've noticed Paypal & Amazon as of late)
* The most popular apps from the store pale in comparison to their iOS and Android counterparts - have never been as good. Making the same app for Windows is always an afterthought for developers.
* Microsoft no longer interested in making Lumia phones (previously had the 800, 735 and currently on the 650) - doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
* People have even signed a petition to get pokemon go developed for Windows phone - again the platform has been overlooked for what has been the most downloaded app in history.

Surely Microsoft should really invest to get the mainstream apps updated/or added to the store? Seriously why isn't there an official Youtube app for instance? Or Snapchat for example? It took them YEARS to even get the Instagram app out of BETA!

Soldato
What confuses me is that app devs are not racing to develop windows phone appa knowing they all transkate to the windows 10 platform directly, and can be windows store downloaded by 350million people, in addition to any phone users.

Soldato
To be fair though MS did a LOT more than any to get YouTube on WP, but Google wasn't having it, or any of there other services.
Snapchat just seem to not like MS in there overall stance.
They have inky released 3 phones in the last couple of years, cutting out a lot of regions and not advertising or pushing them in any way.
If a Surface phone doesn't arrive or get leaked or talked about, then I guess its either going to be soot used for the OEMs or ending it.
Personally have no use for many apps on the phone and not felling I'm missing out of anything. Have tried Android and IPhone and dont like either of them still.

Soldato
Almost ready to give up on Windows Phone seriously.

Here's why:

* Large companies dropping support for their official apps (I've noticed Paypal & Amazon as of late)
* The most popular apps from the store pale in comparison to their iOS and Android counterparts - have never been as good. Making the same app for Windows is always an afterthought for developers.
* Microsoft no longer interested in making Lumia phones (previously had the 800, 735 and currently on the 650) - doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
* People have even signed a petition to get pokemon go developed for Windows phone - again the platform has been overlooked for what has been the most downloaded app in history.

Surely Microsoft should really invest to get the mainstream apps updated/or added to the store? Seriously why isn't there an official Youtube app for instance? Or Snapchat for example? It took them YEARS to even get the Instagram app out of BETA!

I'm thinking of going Android from my Lumia 930 for pretty much all the reason you highlighted. We seem to lose more apps than we gain and as mentioned, why aren't developers porting their app to WP when Microsoft has developed tools to make it easy.

Soldato
probably a lot got burned with the wp7 then wp8 and now wp10 all needing new hardware with hardly any sales, i've had 2 winphones but i'm about to move to my first android.

Back
Top Bottom