RIP Windows Phone

Caporegime
What confuses me is that app devs are not racing to develop windows phone appa knowing they all transkate to the windows 10 platform directly, and can be windows store downloaded by 350million people, in addition to any phone users.

Because while technically possible, its not really that usefull in the real world.

The purpose of phone apps is to make something that you do on a PC simpler and easier on the confines of a small screen. Taking that then back up to the PC platform is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Why would you want a YouTube app on PC when you have the website, for example?

I'm thinking of going Android from my Lumia 930 for pretty much all the reason you highlighted. We seem to lose more apps than we gain and as mentioned, why aren't developers porting their app to WP when Microsoft has developed tools to make it easy.

Because even though its 'easy', the potential user base is so small that its still not worth the effort.

Soldato
OP
The sad truth is that most mobile developers aren't making any money off iOS, let alone WP. No-one is going to develop for a niche platform when you're barely keeping your head above water.

And how many people are actually paying for Windows 10 apps?

Caporegime
The problem is Microsofts dictating.
Windows 10 is just that.
They're dictating to their users, of that install base very little intend to use it any differently than 7 etc, yet Microsoft want to force them to change their habits.

Microsoft are also very sloppy, they're trying to compete with games on the store, but have no interest in actual effort, the Halo games are more expensive on Windows 10 store than Steam, it's pathetic

Associate
The problem is Microsofts dictating.
Windows 10 is just that.
They're dictating to their users, of that install base very little intend to use it any differently than 7 etc, yet Microsoft want to force them to change their habits.

Microsoft are also very sloppy, they're trying to compete with games on the store, but have no interest in actual effort, the Halo games are more expensive on Windows 10 store than Steam, it's pathetic

I think you've missed the point of this thread. Windows Phone != Windows desktop.

Caporegime
I think you've missed the point of this thread. Windows Phone != Windows desktop.

Windows 10 apps? The same halo games on Windows 10 mobile (which is the same as the desktop variant) is cheaper on steam.

That shows how little effort they're clearly making?

And the reply was in the context of the current discussion about windows 10 install base abd apps.

Caporegime
I gave Windows Phone a fair chance, I've had a Lumia as either my Primary or Secondary (I have a work phone and a personal one) device since the launch of the Lumia 800, but Windows Phone 10 is simply too broken, hardware since the "Microsoft" era of Lumia is lacking in fit and finish, and the app-gap is still as prevalent as ever.

In no particular order I've had the following over the last 5 years:

Lumia 800
Lumia 710
HTC Radar
Lumia 820
Lumia 925
Lumia 930
Lumia 830
Lumia 950

In the last week I've ditched my Lumia 950, no matter what I did the bluetooth would NEVER work properly in the car. Sure it would connect, but I'd get no audio (or occasionally crackly faint audio that would die before hearing the first few words of any call). I've tried every single build, fast-ring, slow-ring, standard "non preview" releases, nothing worked.

Will I miss anything? Yes, the camera on my 950 was by far and a way better than the camera on any of my other devices, current or old. So I've jumped ship back to a combination of iOS and Android (Cyanogen 13) with an iPhone 6S 64GB and a OnePlus One 64GB. Yes I'm having to deal with a less feature-rich camera, but my overall usability is higher, my enjoyment factor is higher, my battery life (at least with the OnePlus) is greater, and I no longer feel like I'm using a rather long-winded social experiment.

Sorry Windows Phone, but I gave you a 5-year chance!

Man of Honour
Similar to poster above I really stuck by Windows phone. Having ditched my 1520 for an s7 edge I haven't looked back. Shame as there are a lot of things I like about WP but it just isn't properly supported by the marketplace or MS.

Caporegime
Yep, I too stuck with a Windows Phone for 2 years in order to give it a fair chance. It sucked on its own, but its suckyness was highlighted even further by sharing my pocket with a Nexus 5.

The only good thing about having owned one is when the Windows Phone fanboys get all up tight and upset and try to ban anyone who doesn't have a Windows Phone from posting in any Windows Phone threads, I can flash my Lumia 620 at them and carry on :D.

I replaced the 620 with an iPhone in order to form a justified opinion of iOS too. That didn't even last a year before it was ditched :p. Dual Sim Android Phones are the way forward for me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't understand how you can say you hate Android.

I don't hate WP and would love to own a W10 handset, but what's the point? It's so unsupported it's a joke.

If a Surface Phone with premium build quality does exist though, I'll probably get one however simply for the phone rather than the OS. I'll keep my Z3+ though.

There's just so little you can do on the Windows Phone due to lack of support.

Soldato
Because while technically possible, its not really that useful in the real world.
The purpose of phone apps is to make something that you do on a PC simpler and easier on the confines of a small screen. Taking that then back up to the PC platform is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Why would you want a YouTube app on PC when you have the website, for example?

Because even though its 'easy', the potential user base is so small that its still not worth the effort.

I think has largely been missed by people who keep thinking universal apps is revolutionary. Its missed the market by about 10yrs.

Soldato
I don't understand how you can say you hate Android.

I don't hate WP and would love to own a W10 handset, but what's the point? It's so unsupported it's a joke....

There's just so little you can do on the Windows Phone due to lack of support.

Some of that I agree with and some I don't. If you aren't a big app user then most of the stuff you want is on WP, or you can use a web app. Apps are an issue, but not the main issue for me.

For me the real issue is show stopping bugs. I think its getting worse too.

Caporegime
Same people saying the same thing over and over.

Yep. Yet the WP market share has dropped so low that even Microsoft won't state how many handsets they have sold.

Some people saying the same thing over and over are being proved right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, yet it still here, and new opines are coming out as well as a Surface phone and it still on course to get supported updates.

I guess some are not wanting to rush to only have a two OS mobile market, cause that would be great for everybody.

Will still never be using Android though.

Caporegime
Yea, yet it still here, and new opines are coming out as well as a Surface phone and it still on course to get supported updates.

I guess some are not wanting to rush to only have a two OS mobile market, cause that would be great for everybody.

Will still never be using Android though.

This Surface Phone has been coming for years though, just like the Surface Mini which didn't arrive. Although, I can't see a Surface Phone making Windows 10 Mobile successful.

Do you consider Windows RT to be dead? It still gets "updates".

I like Windows 10 Mobile, but it has dismal support. In fact I love Windows RT, it's just dead and has absolutely no support, limiting its use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom