• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ripped capacitors off GPU

Associate
Picture taken from another thread of mine, Vince kindly showed me where to put the heat sinks for a future universal gpu core water block.

However I thought I'd clean up the air cooler for the fun of it but ripped off 4 of the 5 capacitors to the left of the red rectangle while pulling off the stock heatsink that is on the chips in said rectangle.

I glued them back on but my GPU got up to 80*C as soon as the game loaded into the menu so I shut it down (it was just going to keep going up).

So I took it apart again, cleaned the metal contacts on the capacitors and on the board, reglued with super glue (instead of wood glue as it was all I had the first time) and it's better, but running around 70*C instead of the original 60/65 before I broke it.

Is a higher temperature a symptom of 1 or more capacitors not making contact properly?

f35OuV0.jpg

Soldato
I'm speachless. You need to order some replacement capacitors of the same value (measured in Farads) and solder them on properly. I'm guessing you've never soldered before so do you have a friend who can help you?

Soldato
Doubt they will be anything to do with your cards temperature. As they look like capacitors/filters for the drivers and or mosfet.

Without seeing an actual picture of the damage it’s hard to tell.

But as someone else has said they need resoldering. A high wattage iron is a must and or preferably warming the board first.

Associate
OP
I'm speachless. You need to order some replacement capacitors of the same value (measured in Farads) and solder them on properly. I'm guessing you've never soldered before so do you have a friend who can help you?

I haven't soldered since school almost two decaded ago. I have no friends.

I've been gaming on it though for a good half hour, I reduced the power limit back down to stock (non-overclocked) to manage the temperature issue, so super glue wasn't the worst thing...

In fact I don't get why it's so shocking, so long as the two contacts that come out of the capacitor are in contact with the boards contacts then surely that's the goal isn't it?

I'll try upload the pics I took. (EDIT - I have no pics)

Associate
OP
Yes I reapplied some compound on the GPU core before putting the heatsink on then all the screws back in, then the shroud with fans on top of that.

I'd blame the very old compound (ATRIX - made in China) but it's still working for my CPU.

I've searched all the numbers on top of the capacitors (5KW38 270 16v) but there's still so many to choose from maybe I'll just hope it keeps on working and if not buy a new card.

Man of Honour
Yes I reapplied some compound on the GPU core before putting the heatsink on then all the screws back in, then the shroud with fans on top of that.

I'd blame the very old compound (ATRIX - made in China) but it's still working for my CPU.

I've searched all the numbers on top of the capacitors (5KW38 270 16v) but there's still so many to choose from maybe I'll just hope it keeps on working and if not buy a new card.

Measure the physical dimensions then match it to the correct one here

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/p...d-dimensions=4292049083,4294466607,4294763557

Soldato

How about the VRAM? Did you use new thermal pads?
Also you cannot glue capacitors, not with wood glue neither with superglue. You need to do it properly or buy new card.

Caporegime
You're lucky you didn't rip any of the solder pads off? there's people on the net you can send stuff off to for solder repairs but I'd imagine it's too late now.

What sort of temperatures do those capacitors run at? sometimes the PCB acts like a heatsink but if the contact is minimal heat will build up in the capacitors and they might not perform as well (I'm not sure if that will cause the GPU to heat up more but it will reduce the capacitors' lifespan). I'd also be concerned about the durability of the superglue when exposed to heat.

Soldato
OK thank you, I'll do that if I have any problems....

I think I might know what's causing the heat problem, I may of scratched the heatsink for the GPU core ; the cure for that is polishing isn't it?

I would be very surprised if a scratch or 2 on the heatsink made a noticeable difference to the temps. You wouldn't be polishing it out unless they were very light surface scratches. You could lap it. I've done it with CPU heatspreaders, but a GPU cooler will be much more difficult! I would just forget about them unless they are big gouges.

Damn dude. You gotta take more care with your stuff! It shouldnt take much force to separate the PCB from the cooler, maybe a little to unstick the paste.

I would start by double checking you haven't bent anything that could be causing the cooler to not sit flush on the card.

Can you take a picture of the PCB and the underside of the cooler?

Soldato
Wood glue? Super glue? Surely this isn't a serious post? :eek:
That the capacitors broke didn't made you think this is a joke?
For those things to break you need to seriously hit them hard. No removal of cooler can damage them, only if you aren't patient, and you start smashing around to unstuck the thermal paste.
And for that the OP deserves to buy a new card.

Man of Honour
In fact I don't get why it's so shocking, so long as the two contacts that come out of the capacitor are in contact with the boards contacts then surely that's the goal isn't it?

Depends how good the connection is but a soldered connection is usually much better - a poor connection can cause more harm than good and potentially result in things like oscillation in other components (which is bad).

For those things to break you need to seriously hit them hard.

They appear to be surface mount Aluminium Electrolytics rather than through hole and they are much easier to dislodge.

Associate
OP
Wow, this is a popular topic. First of all, it's not a joke, I don't have a soldering iron so I glued them on.

Second, it didn't heppen while I took the heatsink off, after I took that off I took off the small length heatsink next to the capacitors but as it's on with a sticky thermal pad it was very tough to get off, I knocked the capacitors and 4 of them came off with it.

I didn't use a new thermal pad as I don't have any. I may of ripped the solder pads off yes, can they be repaired/replaced with a dollop of solder?. I have no idea what temperature the capacitors run at.

They are surface mount (there is not a hole through the board).

Back
Top Bottom