Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had screwed together this as a hack to take the salt damage over the winter and preserve my better frames for summer use:

9kXyT6S.jpg

Someone at work with a good eye noticed the clearances looked a bit close at the front for a low-end Raleigh and asked if it had been front-ended. Since I'd rescued it from the bin, I didn't know. I put a straight edge on the tubes to check and low-and-behold:

DSYRWDB.jpg

PsSAOOG.jpg

Ghe1WYl.jpg

Bah. That's annoying.

So I put the Bob Jackson back together this morning, with drop bars this time:

dBT6WTl.jpg

I was going to bin the Raleigh, but since it's a gaspipe model I think I might cut it and straighten it since the steel will be fine to pull about. Then it can go in the loft until next winter :D

Associate
Nice, did you get the Shimano or Campag?

I considered the Campag but I've only ever used Shimano and with all the tools & spare bits I've got being Shimano it makes sense. I almost paid the extra for the CF version but the weight difference is next to nothing considering the price difference.

I'll post some pics when I get it. Due to my stumpy legs they've advised me to get a size smaller than I was considering and use stem length/headset adjustment to get the reach back. I'll take their word for it and see how I go. I suppose if it works for the pros it can't be too wrong.

I just got a credit card, so many things i want... uh oh

Yeah, mine's a credit card special. I'll feel the sting once the bill comes in...

Last edited:
Soldato
[Damien];24204275 said:
Just pressed the button on a Canyon Ultimate AL! :D

I can hear the screams from my wallet already...

Keep me informed of how the process goes, as I'm planning on getting my next bike from them
&would appreciate hearing how they are for delivery, service etc.

Soldato
So I put the Bob Jackson back together this morning, with drop bars this time:

dBT6WTl.jpg

I was going to bin the Raleigh, but since it's a gaspipe model I think I might cut it and straighten it since the steel will be fine to pull about. Then it can go in the loft until next winter :D

So jealous of your Bob Jackson. I keep getting so close to pulling the trigger.

Associate
Keep me informed of how the process goes, as I'm planning on getting my next bike from them
&would appreciate hearing how they are for delivery, service etc.

Yeah no worries. I've already had to speak to them once after ordering the wrong colour and they sorted it out straight away.

I'll do an unboxing post once I get it, probably some time next week.

Associate
[Damien];24204275 said:

oo very nice. i'd like a canyon (or rose) myself but cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a bike ive not seen or ridden.

pics when you get it please :D

Soldato
I'm currently using Protect Your Bubble on their "Extra cover with Adventure" policy.

Covers:
- Theft - with new for old replacement up to 3 years old.
- Accidental damage & vandalism.
- £250 Get you Home cover.
- Cover in Europe.
- Roadside recovery in the event of a breakdown.
- £2,000,000 liability cover
- £10,000 personal accident cover

That's currently costing me £38pm and covers the Rose and the Pearson.

I have found urban cycling insurance - they are insurers for LCC

Main Benefits:
Insure one or more cycles worth up to a total of £10,000.
Bicycle Accidental damage
Free legal assistance
"New for old" on claims
Up to £150 to get you home if your bike is stolen.
No Claims Discounts available.
Urban Cycling Insurance Options:
Personal accident
Competition/Race cover
Family cover

just done quick quote and they came out around £100 cheaper than CycleGuard per year.

Associate
oo very nice. i'd like a canyon (or rose) myself but cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a bike ive not seen or ridden.

pics when you get it please :D

Will do. I'm bricking it over the fit tbh.

The geometry of my current bike and the Canyon are pretty much the same, only my 54 Specialized Crux Elite is equivalent to the Canyon Ultimate in a 56 (which is actually 54.5...). My Crux has always felt slightly too tall vertically and slightly too short in reach though because of my short legs/long torso. That's even with a 100mm stem. My bike fit got my bike feeling comfy but I apparently need a 110mm stem to finish it off. After speaking to the guys at Canyon they've recommended a 54, which to me sounds like it'd be way too cramped on the reach. They're confident it'll fit better after stem and headset adjustments though.

My current bike has:
S-Tube BB-Top: 540
TT Horiz - 549
S-Tube Angle - 73.5
Stack - 567
Reach - 379
Stem - 100

And I've ordered based on their recommendation:
S-Tube BB-Top: 515
TT Horiz - 537
S-Tube Angle - 73.5
Stack - 540
Reach - 376
Stem - 110 (possibly swap for a 120 if it's still too short)

I've been trying to work out whether it'll fit right as ordered but the more I look the more confused I get. In the end I think I'll just have to suck it and see.

Associate
good luck. i guess as long as its pretty close you can just change the stem to fine tune. the numbers look about right (if maybe smaller than what you have) but they will know best

if i remember correctly canyon use a non-standard stem which makes changing the stem not as easy

Associate
good luck. i guess as long as its pretty close you can just change the stem to fine tune. the numbers look about right (if maybe smaller than what you have) but they will know best

if i remember correctly canyon use a non-standard stem which makes changing the stem not as easy

Yeah, I was told as much. I've got the contact point measurements of my current bike from the fit and I'll just replicate them as soon as the bike arrives to see if it's about right & get straight back on to them if not. I reckon if anything it'll just be posting my stem back to get a longer one.

Soldato
I'v not really paid much attention to mine, but i think the stem is a standard fitting. The headset is different though.
Rather than having a top cap to apply pressure to the headset, it uses a wedge style thing between the bottom of the stem and top of the headset. So you bolt the stem on tight first then adjust the wedge to apply pressure to the headset.

It's a standard size steerer tube and i think any stem would fit.

Associate
[Damien];24205004 said:
I reckon if anything it'll just be posting my stem back to get a longer one.

yes and thats hardly an ordeal. good luck anyway. i'll keep an eye on how you get on.

i've decided to get a test ride on a Madone 4.5 for when i'm off work next

Soldato
Put the trek on gumtree this afternoon, sells for asking price within 2 hours. Not bad. Put that towards the new wheel fund :)

Caporegime
[Damien];24204275 said:

:D

I was round at Rob's the other day, so saw his little collection of bikes. He was telling me how the Canyon bikes come pretty much built, and all you really have to do is get the wheels and pedals on.

I'm planning a ride for this evening. I'm too tired to push it, so going to go exploring instead, try some places I've not been before. Then I can check the Strava readout afterwards and look for where to push it when I'm feeling up to it!

Last edited:
Soldato
[Damien];24204275 said:

should have gone CF. Just teasing :p

White or black and what spec?

Edit: Saw your sig and though someone had stolen half my KOM's for a brief moment. :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom