Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm a complete sunglasses convert, after riding with them for the last week I have no idea how I managed without them :p

Also ended up buying two Antares saddles today one for a bargain from a club member with Kium rails and another as a spontaneous buy from the bay w/ carbon rails. So now I have an ex demo arione saddle surplus to requirements, can surely only mean one thing... right?

I had the carbon Antares. It lasted 20 miles before going on eBay as my bum just didn't get on with it.

Soldato
Not me myself, but I'm quite proud of my dad.

He's just completed the Spring Classics challenge on Strava, (ride 1319 km in the month of April).

He's also taking on La Marmotte in July. 174km and almost 17,000ft of climbing on the one day.

Associate
Anyone that bought those Brown Scott bib shorts, just how brown are they in person?

They are definitely brown, but with the orange trim they look quite smart.

However, I find the fit around the gentleman's sausage area to be quite poor :o - it's all a bit baggy where on all my other bibs the pads fit quite snug. Apologies if that's tmi! :D

As a result i don't tend to wear them if i have other ones available.

Might just have been i got the sizing slightly wrong. I'm generally a small or medium for bibs (175 cm, 65kg) and i got these in a medium.

Soldato
Just had an issue with my Garmin 705 not saving a ride correctly. On Strava it said the file was empty, and on Garmin Connect I only got summary statistics (i.e. lap speeds, total time etc, but no map).

The fix for this, if it ever happens to you:

On the device:

Go to the course menu, new course, select the ride you want to recover (it should still be listed on the device)

Choose a name for the course, then press mode. It should then save the ride as a course

On your PC:

Download the .tcx from the courses/ directory

Open the file in a text editor and change the <Courses> and <Course> tags to the corresponding <Activities> and <Activity> tags. Use a known-good file from your history/ folder for reference when editing the XML.

Done!

Hopefully this helps someone!

Soldato
Just spotted these Scott shorts, ordered a set of Medium as only got the one pair of bib shorts currently, will last me until the warmer months and I can't wear something over the top of them :D

InQ

InQ

Associate
Off to Preston to pick up new wheels for my bike tonight, woo! Got a pair of American Classic Victory 30s for a good price, they will be a very decent upgrade on what I have and also make a good training wheel when I buy a nicer wheelset in the future.

Will have the new steed up and running just in time for the May Massive on Strava, perfect. :D

Hi Gavin, it was me you bought the wheels from tonight! :D
Thought i recognized the name on Bikeradar.

Soldato
Plenty of metal-cup bb's out there. Try here if you get stuck, but there are plenty on eBay.

http://www.cyclebasket.com/products.php?plid=m9b0s0p0

One thought - I know you probably were, but you were definitely undoing it the right way weren't you? It's a left-handed thread on the non-drive side. Other than that, I'm 100% with you; I hate plastic cups on bottom brackets.

yeah i made sure i was turning in the right direction after the first one broke :/

its all back together! i can't believe it but its in one peace and hopefully it'll cover its 20 mile commute tomorrow! :)

im happy but i've spent a lot more than i expected in the first place due to this massive turd of a BB

got UN55 in it now :)

also need a new front derailer cable but that it cheap..

eh.

ill get some pics up of my

for now.. THING.

:eek::)

thanks for all the help and if you're interested holesaw did the trick - very little damage to thread thankfully

Soldato
I'd prefer open pro with pro 3 hubs myself as I'd rather change cartridge bearings than be ****** opening my hubs before they start to get pitted.

Was having a play with the 4za Cirrus clinchers that retail at £330. They seemed quite light and span for absolutely ages, perfectly true out the box too which is a miracle considering it came from moore large via nightfright. They would be under budget.

Soldato
Guys,
do you insure your bikes ? if yes then with what company ? do you have accident cover? liability insurance ?
my is due to expire - with Cycle Guard, and not sure if I want to stay with them... - over £20 per month is quite a lot....
and no, I dont have household insurance;) - I think it is time to get one...
need to double check if bike would be covered outside of house.

Soldato
Just had a look at that, it's tiny. How much stuff can you fit in that?!

Well uniQ said he could get a tube, levers, multi-tool and a co2 pump in there.

Stuff I need to fit in a saddlebag:

One tube - generally an 15-25 but could be a 25-35 for the cyclocross
Three park tools tyre levers
Lezyne V10 multi tool
CO2 pump
Two 16g C02 cannisters
Lezyne patch kit

If I arrange that right I can get it all in my Fizil Pak but if I can get it in something smaller then great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom